• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who is the Greatest Genius of All Time?

Who is the Greatest Genius of All Time?

• Total voters
W

WALMART

Too many to count from too many genres, methinks.

I don't know if I should go for people like Brian Greene, who possess more cutting edge knowledge than anyone who has existed ever, or someone like Martin Luther King, who truly understood the nature of mankind, or Giordano Bruno, for having similar conceptual views of the universe as I, or....

I'll go with Brian Greene, for learning me all I know about modern science.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Me.

There should be some women on there, yo! I think since history doesn't acknowledge genius women, it would be impossible to know because we will never have a fair comparison.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There should be some women on there, yo! I think since history doesn't acknowledge genius women, it would be impossible to know because we will never have a fair comparison.

Who exactly do you have in mind for this category of women geniuses? I know there are a whole cluster of intelligent people for both genders, but historically, the women have slumped down a bit when it comes to being a revolutionary genius remembered for all time. Of course, I could be wrong, and I could be forgetting some people or other important factors, such as women having a lower social status and less opportunities in most societies. Still, I would say it's a combination of women being repressed combined with a focus on nurturing rather than cosmological development, but of course, all of that could change in the future, and women could greatly exceed past prededents.

Mole

Permabanned
C.D. [Charles Darwin] broke the back of god. While many others did it with logic and reasoning he did it with facts.

And Darwin did it with extreme reluctance. He wrote, "The Origin of Species", and kept it in a locked drawer for twenty years before it was published.

And Watson and Crick's discovery of the genome showed that Darwin was exquisitely right.

And like much of science, "The Origin of Species", is counter-intuitive. We intuitively look at the complex web of life and think it must have been designed. But Darwin and Watson and Crick showed the web of life is not designed. So the believers were thrown back onto the Big Bang, started naturally of course by the Big Banger. However we now know there was no Big Bang, rather time and space are expanding and accelerating, with no need for a Big Banger.

Time and time again we have been shown our intuitive ideas are wrong, whereas our counter-intuitive ideas are exquisitely right.

And mbti is intuitive and completely wrong.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Who exactly do you have in mind for this category of women geniuses? I know there are a whole cluster of intelligent people for both genders, but historically, the women have slumped down a bit when it comes to being a revolutionary genius remembered for all time. Of course, I could be wrong, and I could be forgetting some people or other important factors, such as women having a lower social status and less opportunities in most societies. Still, I would say it's a combination of women being repressed combined with a focus on nurturing rather than cosmological development, but of course, all of that could change in the future, and women could greatly exceed past prededents.
I don't have anyone in mind. Just sayin. Playing the devil's advocate, you know.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
A lot of the people on this list had some cool ideas but weren't technically great

I picked Da Vinci with some confidence, as a kind of timeless and indisputable genius

His genius is so great that it is mostly wasted; this is a consequence of quantity

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think he was a genius.

And I think his historical reception and influence are due to his genius.

It's funny. I think Plato and Nietzsche are two of among the least impressive people in this poll, yet it does seem quite appropriate that you would rank them highly.

I think I'd prefer to see Democritus here.

S

Society

I wonder:
considering the Flynn affect, how many of those would stand out as geniuses today?

PrettyWoman

MBTI Type
E..P
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I voted for Leonardo da Vinci. His work is amazing, he was SUCH a genius, what he could realize and do was just incredible! I strive for keeping my mind open and I really enjoy it when others show the same attitude.

There are three classes of people: those who see, those who see when they are shown, those who do not see.
-Leonardo da Vinci

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Where's the choice for The Artist Formerly Known as Prince?! :newwink:

Last edited:

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Jesus existed. There's historical evidence.

No, there isn't any historical evidence. Not the slightest, not the tiniest.
So that's why "Jesus" should be put out of this so-called "poll". As far as science and history are concerned, he's just an imaginary being.
Muhamad or Buddha, on the other hand, really existed. But Jesus... there's nothing, only fake testimonies that were written centuries after his so-called "life". Even the Vatican had to admit many of these testimonies were crude forgeries. No contemporary Roman archive ever mentions his possible existence. It's still a mystery (or a great display of faith or propaganda) why so many people still believe he ever existed at all.

S

Sniffles

So that's why "Jesus" should be put out of this so-called "poll". As far as science and history are concerned, he's just an imaginary being.
Muhamad or Buddha, on the other hand, really existed. But Jesus... there's nothing, only fake testimonies that were written centuries after his so-called "life". Even the Vatican had to admit many of these testimonies were crude forgeries. No contemporary Roman archive ever mentions his possible existence. It's still a mystery (or a great display of faith or propaganda) why so many people still believe he ever existed at all.
smiley30.gif
smiley30.gif
smiley30.gif
smiley30.gif

This is the funniest thing I've read today.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
smiley30.gif
smiley30.gif
smiley30.gif
smiley30.gif

This is the funniest thing I've read today.

At last, I'm glad you're still here. I wondered if with this kind of provocative answer I could manage to get your attention today...

And it's even better if I made you laugh... :bye:

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP

Gospels are true history books as history books go, and they were written soon after the death of Jesus. Some of them were already translated to Coptic Egyptian by 50 A.D.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
And John Stuart Mill is nowhere to be found!

+1

Yeah, there seem to be some gross oversights.

That said, by reading the list it occurs to me that I need re-acquaint myself with the contributions of many on this list. At my current stage of ignorance, I guess It would be a tie between Tesla and Da Vinci as far as sheer intelligence is concerned (its difficult to compare the likes of Stephen Hawkins with them, as modern thinkers are standing on the shoulders of so many more giants than was the case even a hundred years ago).

Nicodemus

Gospels are true history books as history books go, and they were written soon after the death of Jesus. Some of them were already translated to Coptic Egyptian by 50 A.D.
If you mean the gospels concerning the tales about Jesus, then what you say is false.