• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Humility

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the word evokes some negative connotation- draws up images of martyrs and religious beliefs that go against the grain of human nature and human desires-

[MENTION=15291]Mane[/MENTION] recently mentioned that while some use this in certain circumstances, I hold it as one of the highest ideals- something to strive for. (Which is true, and turns into an ironic oxymoron. - "I am proud of my own humility.") Though I have a long way to go in that department, it means many positive things to me. It mostly leaves your mind open to your own faults-it's a safety net- everything we think and feel and do could be completely irrelevant, as a human race we are led down trillions of different paths, beliefs, actions, worldviews. The idea that we are small and inferior actually opens up many positive possibilities, it brings out a thoughtfulness of one's own perceptions, and also many other virtues- kindness, love, what-have-you.

In general, it's not something that I see as a value in society. Quite the opposite-unless I am missing something. Thoughts?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think humility goes with -clear mind- or Zen and is quite wonderful when combined with Confidence vis a vis Calm which creates Presence. I think the feeling is similar to -Trust-

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My impression is that humility is often and easily seen as false or unhealthy. If someone is being humble, the temptation is to suspect they have low self-esteem, and need it boosted with compliments...or that they are pretending to have low self-esteem to receive the same. Seeing humility in others leaves me deeply suspicious of them, as it is usually the sort of trait that has to be put on display to be noticed (the truly humble person does not display their virtue). For this reason, I automatically react to it negatively. This might be the sort of attitude that makes it a non-virtue today.

It can be a virtue, or rather, part of one. Pride and humility should be mixed together to make one virtue we have no name for. Too much of either makes a flawed personality.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think humility goes with -clear mind- or Zen and is quite wonderful when combined with Confidence vis a vis Calm which creates Presence. I think the feeling is similar to -Trust-

hmm... humilty vs. clear mind and trust- can you elaborate?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My impression is that humility is often and easily seen as false or unhealthy. If someone is being humble, the temptation is to suspect they have low self-esteem, and need it boosted with compliments...or that they are pretending to have low self-esteem to receive the same. Seeing humility in others leaves me deeply suspicious of them, as it is usually the sort of trait that has to be put on display to be noticed (the truly humble person does not display their virtue). For this reason, I automatically react to it negatively. This might be the sort of attitude that makes it a non-virtue today.

It can be a virtue, or rather, part of one. Pride and humility should be mixed together to make one virtue we have no name for. Too much of either makes a flawed personality.

hmm, I was thinking that- humility/pride dichotomy could be confused with low confidence/ high confidence - though I think that a humble person could be perfectly comfortable in their own skin despite feeling that they are just a tiny speck in time, (or a tiny speck in anything.) Where prideful people can be uninsightful- therefore angsty- always unnecessary desire to be individual- at the top of some given ladder- which I think could cause low self esteem in some cases.

I don't think humility has to = sad/melancholy/woe is me/just the underdog. I always envision myself someday losing the shackles of my own ego.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hmm, I was thinking that- humility/pride dichotomy could be confused with low confidence/ high confidence - though I think that a humble person could be perfectly comfortable in their own skin despite feeling that they are just a tiny speck in time, (or a tiny speck in anything.) Where prideful people can be uninsightful- therefore angsty- always unnecessary desire to be individual- at the top of some given ladder- which I think could cause low self esteem in some cases.

Most certainly people often do confuse those two dichotomies! I did not mean to mix the two when I said pride and humility should be mixed however. I can well imagine an entirely humble person who has great confidence. Or a very proud person with low confidence. And I can imagine ways in which the overabundance of these traits would still cause personality flaws.

Of the two, I would say humility is the more empowering and beneficial, the more clearly a virtue when it is actually present. Maybe true humility is an understanding and acceptance of our small and unimportant part in things. Or an awareness of our limitations relative to others and, perhaps more importantly, to a god-like ideal. Ive found humility allows me to take the position of the underdog in my life story, with a contentment for this position. It creates optimism because, once you realize how lowly you are, the only way is up. Hmm. Am I do doing humility wrong? Should I not desire to be large even as I am content with how small I am? :shock:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Most certainly people often do confuse those two dichotomies! I did not mean to mix the two when I said pride and humility should be mixed however. I can well imagine an entirely humble person who has great confidence. Or a very proud person with low confidence. And I can imagine ways in which the overabundance of these traits would still cause personality flaws.

Of the two, I would say humility is the more empowering and beneficial, the more clearly a virtue when it is actually present. Maybe true humility is an understanding and acceptance of our small and unimportant part in things. Or an awareness of our limitations relative to others and, perhaps more importantly, to a god-like ideal. Ive found humility allows me to take the position of the underdog in my life story, with a contentment for this position. It creates optimism because, once you realize how lowly you are, the only way is up. Hmm. Am I do doing humility wrong? Should I not desire to be large even as I am content with how small I am? :shock:

Yea, that all sounds exactly right... I guess it's a thing for saints and spiritual leaders, end up being really "big" and great just from constantly practicing this virtue. Maybe some people are born with it- or maybe it's just that, constant practice. Do you think the confusion with "low confidence" is like a cover up for people who just don't want to see the truth/sacrifice/do a lot of work?

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yea, that all sounds exactly right... I guess it's a thing for saints and spiritual leaders, end up being really "big" and great just from constantly practicing this virtue. Maybe some people are born with it- or maybe it's just that, constant practice. Do you think the confusion with "low confidence" is like a cover up for people who just don't want to see the truth/sacrifice/do a lot of work?

False humility and low confidence (which can appear to be humility, or may be generously referred to as humility) are probably much more common than actual true humility. To hold humility for any significant amount of time is difficult. It demands a rarer sort of personality. It might be (just guessing here) that the conflation made between humility and low confidence is due to the dunning-kruger effect (possibly incorrect usage of dunning-kruger effect, is that ironic?). In other words, so many people do not have the capacity for true humility that they do not understand what it looks like. Thus, since humility is a popular word/idea in our culture we have labeled something that looks like humility, to ignorant eyes, as humility itself. In the same manner we label brash and loud people as self-confident and secure, when they actually might be the opposite.

I wonder how many people, for x lengths of time, perceive the world from a point of "true humility". Do you think its common? Where can it be found, in your opinion?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
hmm... humilty vs. clear mind and trust- can you elaborate?

I think humility is the realization that you're not the only thing in existence that matters. People who are humble often work toward ends that benefit not just themselves, but others as well. Doing that makes you a part of something bigger than yourself. In a sense, that requires a certain sort of trust, in other people, in yourself, and that when the action you take grows bigger than you and goes beyond your individual control that things will turn out well. Taking action towards goals makes you believe in them more firmly and so when you work in something that you trust that is larger than yourself you have a clear mind. The test of course comes when you hit a brick wall. Then, it can be difficult to maintain tranquility, trust, and because of that we feel we must rely on on ourselves. This cuts us off from others and breeds arrogance because everything becomes about you.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Humility is already way overrated......... let's not make it too proud of itself, shall we? :p

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
False humility and low confidence (which can appear to be humility, or may be generously referred to as humility) are probably much more common than actual true humility. To hold humility for any significant amount of time is difficult. It demands a rarer sort of personality. It might be (just guessing here) that the conflation made between humility and low confidence is due to the dunning-kruger effect (possibly incorrect usage of dunning-kruger effect, is that ironic?). In other words, so many people do not have the capacity for true humility that they do not understand what it looks like. Thus, since humility is a popular word/idea in our culture we have labeled something that looks like humility, to ignorant eyes, as humility itself. In the same manner we label brash and loud people as self-confident and secure, when they actually might be the opposite.

I wonder how many people, for x lengths of time, perceive the world from a point of "true humility". Do you think its common? Where can it be found, in your opinion?

Hmm, I'm not sure... I'm thinking maybe certain cultures could have this as more of a popular value? Muslim women? (Not that I'm a big proponent of some of their views towards women, but...) Seems like everything the US (and now other nations) stand for is the opposite. Like, we're pursing our own happiness, having pride in our own values and our own individualism- the brighter you shine the better you are.... It may not be that we are incapable of becoming humble- it may be that the ideals laid out for us from birth become so ingrained in us that we can't fathom being happy any other way. Giant leap of faith to think the other way.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm, I'm not sure... I'm thinking maybe certain cultures could have this as more of a popular value? Muslim women? (Not that I'm a big proponent of some of their views towards women, but...) Seems like everything the US (and now other nations) stand for is the opposite. Like, we're pursing our own happiness, having pride in our own values and our own individualism- the brighter you shine the better you are.... It may not be that we are incapable of becoming humble- it may be that the ideals laid out for us from birth become so ingrained in us that we can't fathom being happy any other way. Giant leap of faith to think the other way.

If muslim women do often have true humility (which I would question), its a good example of humility as a character flaw.

Anyway I'm off to bed.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The mixture of pride and humility is simply accurate self-knowledge. The balance is to understand our strengths and weaknesses, how small we are in the big scheme of things, but how much we as one person can still do. Pride and arrogance generally involve overestimating our worth or capability, or simply being ostentatious about it. Underestimating ourselves is just as bad, though, since it will give us an excuse to contribute less to the world than we are capable of.

I think humility is the realization that you're not the only thing in existence that matters. People who are humble often work toward ends that benefit not just themselves, but others as well. Doing that makes you a part of something bigger than yourself. In a sense, that requires a certain sort of trust, in other people, in yourself, and that when the action you take grows bigger than you and goes beyond your individual control that things will turn out well. Taking action towards goals makes you believe in them more firmly and so when you work in something that you trust that is larger than yourself you have a clear mind. The test of course comes when you hit a brick wall. Then, it can be difficult to maintain tranquility, trust, and because of that we feel we must rely on on ourselves. This cuts us off from others and breeds arrogance because everything becomes about you.
Selflessness, or at least working for the benefit of others, does not require humility. Trusting simply that "things will turn out well" is a dangerous strategy, and rests on the expectation that others will come along to bail you out when you cannot follow through on what you started. This is not humble, it's irresponsible.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The mixture of pride and humility is simply accurate self-knowledge. The balance is to understand our strengths and weaknesses, how small we are in the big scheme of things, but how much we as one person can still do. Pride and arrogance generally involve overestimating our worth or capability, or simply being ostentatious about it. Underestimating ourselves is just as bad, though, since it will give us an excuse to contribute less to the world than we are capable of.

Youve given the thought I had felt myself working towards. Isnt it terribly NT to discard the fuzzy notions of the two virtues and instead sing praises for accuracy? I think their is gold in dem their fuzzy mines, but deep down Im with you. Virtues lead from understanding objectively, perceiving the whole and positions relatively. Pride or over-humility can detract from this.

I do still think we can call the accurate positions states of humility. They are humble in comparison to the lack of humility present in most people generally. Even if they are, in reality, the true and accurate, and therefore should mark the center of the pride/humility line. Words are defined by the perceptions of the majority. If we are using new definitions, we need to say so.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not too long ago I read a post on a psychotherapist’s blog about the difference between self esteem and narcissism. I can’t find it now or I’d link it, because I think it’s germaine to the op. I’m reading his book though (same author, Joseph Burgo)- it’s about unconscious defense mechanisms- and narcissism is about needing extra indication outside the self of one’s worth because internally the sense of worth is so depleted/low; a person may give off the appearance of self esteem, but genuine self esteem is about not needing to perceive oneself as somehow ‘better’ or ‘more worthy’ of praise or attention than others. One of the points made in the blog post is that narcissists often perceive themselves as simply having a lot of self esteem- that they often aren’t conscious of shame they feel about themselves, projecting ‘worthlessness’ into others instead- but the more one needs to feel they’re somehow above or more important than others is the extent to which they’re actually compensating for hidden feelings of low self worth in themselves.

So I guess I’d define humility as having the kind of inner strength in which we don’t require others to stroke our ego, and/or we don’t need circumstances in the external world around us to constantly reflect back a high self worth. And so, imo, the ‘ideal picture’ of humility is someone who is completely competent yet also has absolutely let go of the urge to control the opinions/judgments of others- even in regard (if not especially so) to opinions/judgment which reflect directly back on that person. I’m reminded of the Jung quote “There is no coming into consciousness without pain…. People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own soul.” Humility is (maybe the most important) prerequisite for this; we can’t let go of unconscious attachments (e.g. identity) so long as we are not willing to accept the pain of them possibly not being true. [So furthmore- I guess I think it’s possible to take pride in being humble, but I’d add the caveat that as soon as that pride becomes an identity attachment that we *need* to avoid emotional pain then it’s no longer 'humility' per se.]

eta, worth mentioning: I'm not sure unfettered humility is such a good thing though- we're not doing ourselves or anyone else in society any favors when we fill the role of 'whipping boy'.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do still think we can call the accurate positions states of humility. They are humble in comparison to the lack of humility present in most people generally. Even if they are, in reality, the true and accurate, and therefore should mark the center of the pride/humility line. Words are defined by the perceptions of the majority. If we are using new definitions, we need to say so.
That definition works, until one lands in a situation where one knows one is better able than the others involved to do something that needs to be done. The "humble" course of action is to stay in the background, continuing to follow along with everyone else, since after all, one's estimation might be wrong. I have always found it better to step forward, speak up, and put my abilities to work for the group. This doesn't seem consistent with humility, but then I place more value on getting things done, especially when others stand to benefit.