• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Science is a religion"

Mole

Permabanned
I apologize, I'm not expressing myself clearly.

I did not mean to say scientific facts are a leap of faith. I should have said scientific "fact". If you make bullshit look sciencey and academic, many people can't tell the difference. We take it on faith that the findings in question, were discovered using the scientific method. But we never really check. All the scientists have to say is: "Yup, we scienced it. Trust us." And many people will just assume they did their due diligence.

Look at all the damage Jenny McCarthy did with all her BS about autism and vaccinations. The assurance that there was some science there somewhere, and that some doctors agreed, was enough to fool countless people.

Sure, we are surrounded by pseudo science from Mary Baker Eddy's Christian Science of the 19th century to pseudo science about autism and vaccinations in the 20th century.

And closer to home we have the pseudo science of Mrs Briggs and Mrs Myers and mbti.

And, dear Forever_Jung, Jung himself wrote that his book, "Psychological Types", is based on no empirical evidence, and so is at best pseudo science, and at worst, religious ramblings with no basis in reality.

I find the magazine, "Skeptical Enquirer", to be good at exposing pseudo science.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Sure, we are surrounded by pseudo science from Mary Baker Eddy's Christian Science of the 19th century to pseudo science about autism and vaccinations in the 20th century.

And closer to home we have the pseudo science of Mrs Briggs and Mrs Myers and mbti.

And, dear Forever_Jung, Jung himself wrote that his book, "Psychological Types", is based on no empirical evidence, and so is at best pseudo science, and at worst, religious ramblings with no basis in reality.

Yes, but Jung wasn't asking for the same kind of territory as scientific fact. Jung basically boiled psychological types down to being a practical guide for personal development, understanding different sorts of people and as a therapeutic tool. He wasn't super dogmatic about it, or make a bunch of biological claims. I don't think he'd care much for the way we approach his typology.

The difference between false claims about autism and the pseudo-psychology of personality type is that the latter has practical value. As long as you're not taking Myers-Briggs too seriously and just using it as a rough guide it can help you. If it works, it works. If you believe patently false things about autism, the knowledge still won't be helpful. It will fail you every time.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nope, but there are plenty of people who treat it as such, both skeptics and supporters of said "science."

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nope, but there are plenty of people who treat it as such, both skeptics and supporters of said "science."
It is much easier to idolize science or to vilify it, than to try to understand it. Ignorance in either direction is dangerous, and the antithesis of scientific thought.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It is much easier to idolize science or to vilify it, than to try to understand it. Ignorance in either direction is dangerous, and the antithesis of scientific thought.

Yes. Deification and assigned infallibility is equally problematic.