• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Freedom is...

Mole

Permabanned
At the social level freedom is the limitation of power; and at the personal level freedom is spontaneity.

Lark

At the social level freedom is the limitation of power; and at the personal level freedom is spontaneity.

Dont agree with either of those points to be truthful, keep that unbroken record up there Victor.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm going with Janis Joplin here... "freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"

when you've hit rock bottom and your life is a mess, the most peace of mind you'll receive is to get caught so that you can stop looking over your shoulder :shrug:

anything you have, a love, a family, friends, possessions, a job... those are all chains in a way- things that must be cared for and maintained- when you lose almost everything THEN you are free to reinvent... arise from the ashes as it may be :thinking:

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
"Liberty is the soul's right to breathe, and, when it cannot take a long breath, laws are girdled
too tight."
- Henry Ward Beecher

"If you are not free to choose wrongly and irresponsibly, you are not free at all."
- Jacob Hornberger

"Few men desire liberty; most men wish only for a just master."
- Sallust

"Can our form of government, our system of justice, survive if one can be denied a freedom
because he might abuse it?"
- Harlon Carter

"America needs fewer laws, not more prisons."
- James Bovard

"In America, freedom and justice have always come from the soap box, the ballot box, the jury
box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized
community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or
moral, is not a sufficient warrant."
- John Stuart Mill, "On Liberty", 1859

"None can love freedom heartily, but good men; the rest love not freedom, but license."
- John Milton

"The free man owns himself. He can damage himself with either eating or drinking; he can ruin
himself with gambling. If he does he is certainly a damn fool, and he might possibly be a
damned soul; but if he may not, he is not a free man any more than a dog."
- G.K. Chesterton

"There is a price tag on human liberty. That price is the willingness to assume the
responsibilities of being free men. Payment of this price is a personal matter with each of us."
- James Monroe

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
- Bertrand de Jouvenel

ygolo

My termites win
I suppose there is a sliding scale:
At a minimum, freedom is not being subjugated to a despot, despotic government or despotic master.
At a maximum, freedom is being able to do whatever I want whenever I want.

However, what happens when my own freedom would impinge on another's? I am not free to kill, to steal, to maim, and so on. I like these restrictions on my freedom, because they come from laws that apply to everyone in the land. I know that others cannot kill me, steal from me, or maim me without consequences under the law. Because of this I am more free to do as I please in other arenas.