• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

There is no homo or hetero. It's all just sexual.

Mole

Permabanned
Yes, beliefs aren't set in stone, this does make a lot to think.

I don't think our sexuality is a matter of belief. If it were, we could change our sexuality just as we can change our beliefs.

Mole

Permabanned
Care to expand?

In our struggle for equal rights for homosexuals it became fashionable to say we are all bisexual as a way of making homosexuality mainstream.

Last Saturday we succeeded in Canberra, Australia, with fourteen same sex marriages. The women favoured beautiful white wedding dresses and the men favoured black tie and tuxedo. And there was general rejoicing.

And now, at least here, there is no need to pretend we are all bisexual for political purposes.

Mole

Permabanned
Can we change our beliefs? What we truly BELIEVE?

It's certainly not easy to change our beliefs. And even in science too often we have to wait for a change of generations before we change our beliefs.

However science is about changing our beliefs. And even in religion more and more are changing their beliefs.

And in the global village, as we meet new and different cultures, we change our beliefs.

And as we grow up we change our beliefs.

And as we have children we change our beliefs.

But it's not easy to change our beliefs particularly if we have no social support.

gromit

likes this
It's certainly not easy to change our beliefs. And even in science too often we have to wait for a change of generations before we change our beliefs.

However science is about changing our beliefs. And even in religion more and more are changing their beliefs.

And in the global village, as we meet new and different cultures, we change our beliefs.

But it's not easy to change our beliefs particularly if we have no social support.

I could say that beliefs change or evolve certainly, with new information and perspective, but I don't know how anyone would do it on purpose (or why)...

zulidadwi

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp

I do not agree, if we have a social support *specially the strong one*, I believe, we will not change our beliefs

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

In our struggle for equal rights for homosexuals it became fashionable to say we are all bisexual as a way of making homosexuality mainstream.

Last Saturday we succeeded in Canberra, Australia, with fourteen same sex marriages. The women favoured beautiful white wedding dresses and the men favoured black tie and tuxedo. And there was general rejoicing.

And now, at least here, there is no need to pretend we are all bisexual for political purposes.

Sure, whatever you say.

Mole

Permabanned
I could say that beliefs change or evolve certainly, with new information and perspective, but I don't know how anyone would do it on purpose (or why)...

Let me give you an example.

If you believe in Relativity, you would try to change your belief by doing experiments to falsify your belief. For instance, you might measure how far the Sun deflects light.

And in general, a scientific theory is falsifiable. So scientists are constantly and continually trying to falsify all scientific theories.

By contrast, religious belief is not falsifiable and depends on the induction of a trance state.

So the way to change our religious beliefs is to wake from the trance state.

Mole

Permabanned
I do not agree, if we have a social support *specially the strong one*, I believe, we will not change our beliefs

The European Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries gave us the values of freedom and equality, evidence and reason.

And science, based on evidence and reason, gives us social support to change our beliefs.

Indeed a scientific belief is only scientific if it is falsifiable. And scientists are constantly seeking to falsify our beliefs.

When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do?

zulidadwi

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
The European Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries gave us the values of freedom and equality, evidence and reason.

And science, based on evidence and reason, gives us social support to change our beliefs.

Indeed a scientific belief is only scientific if it is falsifiable. And scientists are constantly seeking to falsify our beliefs.

When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do?

Hmm...I am not really sure we're discussed the same things. Or maybe I am out of topic. CMIIW

What I mean about beliefs wasn't just about scientific facts and reasons, but somethings more deeper than that.
If u changed your mind that easily just because a new development of some facts, i think that's considered inconsistent.

Mole

Permabanned
Hmm...I am not really sure we're discussed the same things. Or maybe I am out of topic. CMIIW

What I mean about beliefs wasn't just about scientific facts and reasons, but somethings more deeper than that.
If u changed your mind that easily just because a new development of some facts, i think that's considered inconsistent.

So you are telling me that when the facts change, you don't change your mind?

zulidadwi

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
So you are telling me that when the facts change, you don't change your mind?

Maybe I can give you an example.

As for junk food. Consider it you're a junkfood lover, you know the facts that junk food isn't healthy but you still eat it. CMIIW

Mole

Permabanned
Maybe I can give you an example.

As for junk food. Consider it you're a junkfood lover, you know the facts that junk food isn't healthy but you still eat it. CMIIW

Knowing junk food isn't healthy could be called a belief, while eating it could be called a behaviour.

So knowing the facts about junk food changed your belief, but didn't change your behaviour.

And it is hard to change our behaviour. Our behaviour becomes a habit.

A new habit can be formed over 21 days by conscious effort. Then the habit is taken for granted and we don't have to think about it.

zulidadwi

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Knowing junk food isn't healthy could be called a belief, while eating it could be called a behaviour.

So knowing the facts about junk food changed your belief, but didn't change your behaviour.

And it is hard to change our behaviour. Our behaviour becomes a habit.

A new habit can be formed over 21 days by conscious effort. Then the habit is taken for granted and we don't have to think about it.

Sometimes, beliefs is a habit, It can't be changed because it's already rooted in your mind and it's influence your behavior too

Anyway, I am just saying what I am thinking.
But I respect your opinion :)