• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

There is no homo or hetero. It's all just sexual.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd be careful about saying you use agape love. I'd be skeptical many could. I used my example with God for that very reason. But anyway, what if you developed romantic love for a woman? Don't you think you'd 'choose' to have sex with her? Perhaps you just haven't lived long enough. Really no one can say who they are capable of being sexual with, when they haven't, and will never, be exposed to everyone in the world. It will always be a possibility. Of course, one can close that door, but that is a choice. A choice to limit your sexualoving potentiality.

I did say “something like agape”. But I’m not religious and I don’t really understand the meaning it has within Christianity. I was referring to more to the Greek origin, something more like consummate love according to the triangular theory of love. ‘Lust’ doesn’t kick in for me without a big ol’ heaping of deeper connection. I can think someone is incredibly attractive without knowing them- like I can think certain fictional characters are incredibly sexy/alluring- but I don’t personally ‘get’ the value of one night stands or the like. But this is besides the point. There’s a distinction between feeling love/appreciation for someone and wanting to do things naked with them. Maybe there’s something about this Christian understanding of agape and I’m missing the point of the op (if there’s anything to Peguy’s post), but I’m working with the distinction between feeling excited about knowing someone in a loving way and actually wanting to jump on them physically and do physical things to them.

It’s not a matter of whether or not I’d ‘choose’ to have sex with a woman I developed romantic feelings for- I’m trying to explain that romantic feelings for women just don’t happen for me. I can find female friends enthralling, get mentally or emotionally excited (in a positive way) around them directly because of them and our interaction and yet still feel absolutely no urge to do things naked with them; but I do get that latter feeling sometimes for the same kind of interaction with males. Romantic love does not necessarily follow wherever there are feelings of love and/or appreciation. It seems like maybe it does for you, and it seems like you’re insisting that it would for everyone if they were more honest with themselves? At least it sounds to me like that’s what you’re arguing. I guess it’s totally available for you to insist it’s because I’ve ‘chosen’ a preference and “closed the door” to anything else- that I would develop romantic love for women if I chose to- but I’m telling you that would be just be another version of someone ‘forcing’ an orientation on themselves that doesn’t belong there. If it were really that easy to choose and everyone had the capacity to have romantic feelings towards either sex or gender, there’d be *a lot* of people who would choose not to be gay.

As a more tangible comparison: I love chocolate. If there’s chocolate* in my vicinity, I have a hard time disciplining myself not have any because I truly enjoy the experience of eating it. There’s nothing forced about it, it’s just a truly organic preference I have. If it’s there, I’ll feel distracted with the feeling of wanting it. On the other hand- something I have absolutely no organic appetite for is sauerkraut. There can be a pile of sauerkraut in front of me and no matter how it’s made I’ll feel no appetite for it. No matter how hungry I am- I can be wholly distracted by feelings of hunger- yet I will not be tempted to eat the sauerkraut. It isn't because I've “closed the door” to it, it’s simply because it does not organically appeal to me. In fact, I’ll often lose my appetite from the smell of it.

*To make this more directly understandable to the INFPs, this analogy also works with pudding.

W

WALMART

:shrug:

So this is just a thread on bisexuality. I don't get it, then.

Also, agape. *snicker*

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
K. thanks for the input guys.

I like to try my new ideas out here.

Good night~

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
While I usually hate this kind of hippy dippy shit when it comes from college-aged ninnies who "experimented" and took too many gender studies courses, I think I can tolerate it if it's coming from a place of trying to reconcile same-sex attraction with Christianity (or some form of it.) MORE POWER TO YOU.

Lark

While I usually hate this kind of hippy dippy shit when it comes from college-aged ninnies who "experimented" and took too many gender studies courses, I think I can tolerate it if it's coming from a place of trying to reconcile same-sex attraction with Christianity (or some form of it.) MORE POWER TO YOU.

I dont really understand that, I mean I dont really understand why people hold angry demonstrations against homosexuality saying things like God Hates Fags and stuff like that either but I've never understood why the topic of minority sexual preferences or behaviours generates so much "fellow travelling".

Lark

I think I might understand the basic point being argued in the OP. It seems to be an attempt to articulate the meaning behind Christ's words of "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind....Love your neighbor as yourself." So our love for God is to be the foundation for our love for not only ourselves but also our neighbor, which in many ways transcends and probes much deeper than mere sexual attraction. This in particular runs contrary to categories of sexual orientation which are more modern in origins. And so on.

Is this fairly close?

Interesting interpretation, more interesting perhaps than my immediate response to the OP, I tend to read posts like these as people attempting to reconcile their material lives with spirituality and not vice versa as you appear to have done.

The love your neighbour as yourself idea is a good one, its older than Jesus though and rooted in the idea that if you do not love your self, you can not love others. There are other good religious teachings corresponding to this, such as anyone saying that they hate their neighbour, who they have seen, and love God, who you have not seen, then you are in error.

A lot of the questions about things like sexual orientation are all this worldly, when asked about the woman with multiple husbands Jesus simply said that those are worldly concerns and not applicable to the spiritual world, it doesnt make them any the more or less important but I think it should lend perspective to any discussion. These questions I think matter because if people are focused upon them, led down blind alleys by them, they wont consider the perrenial and eternity but the consideration of the perrenial and eternity remains the more important question.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A lot of the questions about things like sexual orientation are all this worldly,

Yes. That is the main nuance I'm trying to tease out in this construct of material body and soulful love. We focus on the material body and our lustful natures as evidenced by our lingo which describes not our love-ableness, but our sexual desires.

Doesn't anyone else see this as backwards and base? And not doing justice to God for the potentially beautiful creation that is wo/man?

Lark

Yes. That is the main nuance I'm trying to tease out in this construct of material body and soulful love. We focus on the material body and our lustful natures as evidenced by our lingo which describes not our love-ableness, but our sexual desires.

Doesn't anyone else see this as backwards and base? And not doing justice to God for the potentially beautiful creation that is wo/man?

Hmm, I would agree that, particularly in this age, there's a greater focus upon sex than love.

Although they are not the same thing, there are varieties of love and some are not and should not be eroticised or sexualised. Its very freudian to think they should, I'm not saying that is what you are saying but I'm not sure of what your point is entirely.

There was a film Powder in which a character has a kind of transcendent perspective on the beauty of males and females, I think that he is eventually victimised for being perceived as homosexual but I am not sure that this was his motive. I thought it was a good movie but I think it became controversial because its director was exposed as having some unsavoury tendencies.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Although they are not the same thing, there are varieties of love and some are not and should not be eroticised or sexualised. Its very freudian to think they should, I'm not saying that is what you are saying but I'm not sure of what your point is entirely.

Oh, nice. Yes, there most certainly can be love without sex. But there should be no sex without love. Thanks for addressing that.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I get it. I even have a girl who seems to have a mega crush on me. Unfortunately, I can't quite transcend that whole pyshical barrier thing, because quite simply she is the wrong sex.
Which is a bummer, because she's actually quite hot. I like men. I can't over ride that. Honestly I'm stupid for even considering it.

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hm...the love you're describing and encouraging is more of a Platonic nature. Homo- or Heterosexual is more of a matter of chemicals causing one to find a certain sex attractive (sexual love), for whatever reason.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I get it. I even have a girl who seems to have a mega crush on me. Unfortunately, I can't quite transcend that whole pyshical barrier thing, because quite simply she is the wrong sex.
Which is a bummer, because she's actually quite hot. I like men. I can't over ride that. Honestly I'm stupid for even considering it.

But you must understand it isn't about her being the wrong sex. It's about her being the wrong love.

That is what I mean. Sex follows love. Not vice versa. :)

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
But you must understand it isn't about her being the wrong sex. It's about her being the wrong love.

Um, but it was determined by her to be the "wrong love" for no other reason than gender. So you're merely suggesting that we sanitize and particularize the way we express underlying sexual orientation. Seems a little useless to me. I'd rather have the shorter words, even if they do include "sexual" on the end.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
hmm... I've never exactly been one for sex follows love... but then again, one comes a lot easier for me than the other :)

as far as physical attraction goes, I have gone either way... there are some members of either gender who, just watching them move, can make me physically NEED them in a way :ninja:

it doesn't mean that I act on everything... I've settled down now and it's with a man... and my lust for him has grown into love for him... it could have happened with a lady, but it happened with a man :shrug:

so, to look at things from the opposite direction from you here, I can understand a universal lust (to quote The Todd from scrubs "the todd appreciates hotness regardless of gender" kind of applies)... love, though, always takes some time from me... love comes from trust and trust takes time to wear through the walls :blush:

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If we say we are X-sexual, we are trying to control who we love. And we are saying that who we love is based on who we want to have sex with. We are allowing our sexual inclinations (more superficial) to dictate love. Since love is THE primary substance of everything (because God is love and God is everything), this is wrong. So, for these reasons identifying who we are based on some misguided sexual notions, is not Godly.
It may not be "Godly", but it is responsible, self-aware, and wise.

Anyway, I've done the "Godly" thing sexually and it scarred me for life. Now I'm an evil atheist with self-awareness and who takes responsibility for my choices.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Um, but it was determined by her to be the "wrong love" for no other reason than gender. So you're merely suggesting that we sanitize and particularize the way we express underlying sexual orientation. Seems a little useless to me. I'd rather have the shorter words, even if they do include "sexual" on the end.

I did not get that from her post. Are you assuming here, or do you know something I do not.

IF she meant what you said here, then I'd say it either IS the wrong love, or she is screwed up sexually (and that can entail many things).

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think not being particularly invested in the gender of a potential partner is something you're okay with because you are okay with either gender as a partner. You have historically had relationships with both. A lot of people have a strong gender preference. I don't think it's because they are less hardcore about their faith or less open to the Divine or less anything. I think it's because they aren't bisexual.

To me, you are making a value judgement about something that is value neutral. Something that none of us can really help very much. It'd be like me giving people a hard time for not liking some of the foods I like, when I, due to genetics that are completely out of my control, am physically unable to taste certain unpleasant flavors. I *know* I can't actually taste certain things so I accept what other people say when they say it tastes bad to them.

You're bi. That's okay. Good for you. Some of us aren't. Saying we're wrong for that is about the same level of judgmental as saying people are sinners for being gay. It's kind of a sucky thing to do, IMO.

I think you are making assumptions about me and what I feel here, in the first paragraph. If I've identified with bi in the past it doesn't mean that if I'm hard-pressed I won't state a proclivity one way or the other. The point is that we all have the capacity, if we choose to open ourselves to it, to love anyone. And oftentimes that love, if we love enough, long enough (for it might take some longer than others), will lead to sexual feelings.

This is a philosophical discussion. I put it in the philosophy section for mostly the reason that it's more about what could be/would be, given an ideal openness and environment, rather than what is currently most popular.

I did say “something like agape”. But I’m not religious and I don’t really understand the meaning it has within Christianity. I was referring to more to the Greek origin, something more like consummate love according to the triangular theory of love. ‘Lust’ doesn’t kick in for me without a big ol’ heaping of deeper connection. I can think someone is incredibly attractive without knowing them- like I can think certain fictional characters are incredibly sexy/alluring- but I don’t personally ‘get’ the value of one night stands or the like. But this is besides the point. There’s a distinction between feeling love/appreciation for someone and wanting to do things naked with them. Maybe there’s something about this Christian understanding of agape and I’m missing the point of the op (if there’s anything to Peguy’s post), but I’m working with the distinction between feeling excited about knowing someone in a loving way and actually wanting to jump on them physically and do physical things to them.

It’s not a matter of whether or not I’d ‘choose’ to have sex with a woman I developed romantic feelings for- I’m trying to explain that romantic feelings for women just don’t happen for me. I can find female friends enthralling, get mentally or emotionally excited (in a positive way) around them directly because of them and our interaction and yet still feel absolutely no urge to do things naked with them; but I do get that latter feeling sometimes for the same kind of interaction with males. Romantic love does not necessarily follow wherever there are feelings of love and/or appreciation. It seems like maybe it does for you, and it seems like you’re insisting that it would for everyone if they were more honest with themselves? At least it sounds to me like that’s what you’re arguing. I guess it’s totally available for you to insist it’s because I’ve ‘chosen’ a preference and “closed the door” to anything else- that I would develop romantic love for women if I chose to- but I’m telling you that would be just be another version of someone ‘forcing’ an orientation on themselves that doesn’t belong there. If it were really that easy to choose and everyone had the capacity to have romantic feelings towards either sex or gender, there’d be *a lot* of people who would choose not to be gay.

As a more tangible comparison: I love chocolate. If there’s chocolate* in my vicinity, I have a hard time disciplining myself not have any because I truly enjoy the experience of eating it. There’s nothing forced about it, it’s just a truly organic preference I have. If it’s there, I’ll feel distracted with the feeling of wanting it. On the other hand- something I have absolutely no organic appetite for is sauerkraut. There can be a pile of sauerkraut in front of me and no matter how it’s made I’ll feel no appetite for it. No matter how hungry I am- I can be wholly distracted by feelings of hunger- yet I will not be tempted to eat the sauerkraut. It isn't because I've “closed the door” to it, it’s simply because it does not organically appeal to me. In fact, I’ll often lose my appetite from the smell of it.

*To make this more directly understandable to the INFPs, this analogy also works with pudding.

This is really too long for me to read, but I did anyway because of my affection for you :wubbie: What I take from the first part is that there are many types of love. And from the second part that you, like many/most individuals don't feel romantic for a certain type of gender. I understand and respect you in this, I really do. But I also know that given enough circumstances and situations, that would probably not necessarily be always true. And that because of that, perhaps tiny, possibility, we cannot really know what God will present to us. Anything is possible with God. Just because we want a shiny red convertible does not mean we'd not be better off with a 4wd truck. :sage:

:worthy: I feel honored. Thank You, O.

Hm...the love you're describing and encouraging is more of a Platonic nature. Homo- or Heterosexual is more of a matter of chemicals causing one to find a certain sex attractive (sexual love), for whatever reason.

No. I specified there were many types of loves. And I'm not talking 'love language' either. Some loves will result in the ability/desire to be sexual in the expression of said love, many won't.

I think what you are getting at, and what would be GREAT to be iterated at this point is that there can be so many kinds of love that never result in sexual desire. Our society seems to think you feel sex for everyone (even idols on tv, etc), but should only feel love for the lucky ones. It's actually the other way round. Or should be.

We should actually be feeling LOVE for the amount we lust after now, and only feel sexy toward those few we happen to love in a particular way.

I agree with this, I understand what you're trying to say now I think, that's a lot clearer :) :hug:

Oh, thank you bunches, Lark. :static: :flowerz:

hmm... I've never exactly been one for sex follows love... but then again, one comes a lot easier for me than the other :)

as far as physical attraction goes, I have gone either way... there are some members of either gender who, just watching them move, can make me physically NEED them in a way :ninja:

You might want to mind that lustfulness. Just sayin. It's opens a door for the devil to ply his wily ways.

it doesn't mean that I act on everything... I've settled down now and it's with a man... and my lust for him has grown into love for him... it could have happened with a lady, but it happened with a man :shrug:

so, to look at things from the opposite direction from you here, I can understand a universal lust (to quote The Todd from scrubs "the todd appreciates hotness regardless of gender" kind of applies)... love, though, always takes some time from me... love comes from trust and trust takes time to wear through the walls :blush:

If love takes time, I respect and honor that. I hope that it gets easier for you to trust, and that you find someone(s) whom you can trust. :hug:

But you really have no business lusting in the meantime. You should work on your inability to trust, which is likely a love issue as well, then when you have become better in that regard, work on loving others. Since you already have a man, you should not need to lust others at all, unless that is something you both agree on (and to go there we'd have to move this to my new aphrodite thread). :smile:

It may not be "Godly", but it is responsible, self-aware, and wise.

Anyway, I've done the "Godly" thing sexually and it scarred me for life. Now I'm an evil atheist with self-awareness and who takes responsibility for my choices.

Oh. And I've done the non-Godly thing and it's scarred me for life. To each his own. :cheers:

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As much as I cared for these women I didn't find the idea is touching or kissing them, even embracing to be arrows in or appealing.

Is it Cupid of me that I find your post so Eros-ic?

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yeah, no. It would be nice. Another person would go there. I'm just flattered and don't want to hurt her feelings. Can't and won't.