• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Religious obligations to carry out geneological research?

Lark

I was wondering about this, does anyone belong to or know about any religions which have an obligation for observers or followers to research their family trees or ancestory?

So far I've heard that the Mormons and Jews do this, I dont know if it is a religious obligation among Jews or just popular. I have no idea as to what the religious obligation or tie is though.

Evil Otter

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Can't speak for the Jewish but for the Mormons (as a former mormon, formon if you will) it isn't so much an "obligation" as a service done for their ancestors. If you believed that you had to have temple work done in order to receive the highest level of exaltation and knew that the only way for some to receive that work was vicariously you may feel inclined to give them that service. My mormon parents still do this and I'm pretty sure this is their take on it.