• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Weird Logic

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
All three of these arguments are valid (i.e. if the premise is true, then the conclusion must be true on pain of contradiction).

Socrates is a man.
Therefore,
Socrates is a man or Socrates is immortal.

Socrates is a man.
Therefore,
If Socrates is immortal, then Socrates is a man.

Socrates is mortal.
Therefore,
If Socrates is immortal, then Socrates is mortal.​

One of these arguments is actually an identity (i.e. A, therefore, A). Which one?

So if all men are mortal, and Socrates is a man, then each of the conclusions above must be true, but they all seem intuitively wrong.

G

garbage

Logic is just a funny beast sometimes. That first one reduces to identity; second is true because of a counterintuitive 'oddity' of logical implication.

Third is even more 'odd.' But, really, it's phrased essentially as (¬q → q) and (p → q) = ¬p ∨ q, therefore we have ¬(¬p) ∨ q, thus q ∨ q, thus q). q is pretty easy to understand!

The thing that people never, ever understand is the word "if"--both in propositional logic and in real life. People also don't understand stats, but that's a subject for another day.

:popc1:

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
They only seem intuitively wrong if you read them in English rather than formal logic. The English readings have ambiguity to them, and some of the meanings in the ambiguity would make the arguments logically invalid. "Or" in English has a variety of uses (such as "only one of these components is true" and "all these components must be possible", but in formal logic it's just "at least one of the components is true"), and conditionals do too (in English "if... then" is taken to imply a connection between the components, whereas in formal logic it never implies such).

The last one is a common start to a reductio ad absurdem, assuming immortal and mortal are contradictory (in English they often are not), as such it could end up as an identity (though it technically isn't, using the system I am familiar with).

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
They only seem intuitively wrong if you read them in English rather than formal logic. The English readings have ambiguity to them, and some of the meanings in the ambiguity would make the arguments logically invalid. "Or" in English has a variety of uses (such as "only one of these components is true" and "all these components must be possible", but in formal logic it's just "at least one of the components is true"), and conditionals do too (in English "if... then" is taken to imply a connection between the components, whereas in formal logic it never implies such).
Even when translated into formulae, these arguments are not obviously valid.

P: Socrates is a man
Q: Socrates is mortal

P ⊨ P v ~Q

P ⊨ ~Q → P

P ⊨ ~P → P​

I hope these logical symbols for material implication and semantic entailment appear correctly for everyone.

The last one is the start of a reductio ad absurdem, assuming immortal and mortal are contradictory (in English they often are not).
No. There is no contradiction. The conclusion is true.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Even when translated into formulae, these arguments are not obviously valid.

P: Socrates is a man
Q: Socrates is mortal

P ⊨ P v ~Q

P ⊨ ~Q → P

P ⊨ ~P → P​

I hope these logical symbols for material implication and semantic entailment appear correctly for everyone.

How are they not obviously valid now?

If established that P is true, then the statement "at least one of the following, P..., is true" is also true, no matter the other components included with P.
If established that P is true, then any conditional concluding P is also true, since in formal logic there is no implied connection between the antecedent and the consequent, only the consequent need be true for the conditional to be true (I exist, therefore if you exist then I exist).

No. There is no contradiction. The conclusion is true.

As I said, the start of a reductio ad absurdum. The conclusion must be true for the reductio ad absurdum to follow.

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
It's a pretty straightforward answer. I doubt that most people know or care about propositional logic and so they just want to hear the point--"logic is odd and sometimes counterintuitive."
Perhaps, but that's an explanation of why you gave an ambiguous answer, and not an explanation why it wasn't actually ambiguous.

I'd go through the symbolic rigamaroo, but I'll just let people cheat and use truth tables.
Even with the truth-table, it's still counterintuitive and difficult to explain why it must be so.

I just noticed you added the following to your original response:

Third is even more 'odd.' But, really, it's phrased essentially as (¬q → q) and (p → q) = ¬p ∨ q, therefore we have ¬(¬p) ∨ q, thus q ∨ q, thus q). q is pretty easy to understand!
Right, but then why did you say the first argument was the identity?

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
How are they not obviously valid now?
Obviousness is relative.

If established that P is true, then the statement "at least one of the following, P..., is true" is also true, no matter the other components included with P.
Right, because logical disjunction is traditionally inclusive rather than exclusive. The first argument is the most obviously valid, but it may still be rather counterintuitive to those with only a passing familiarity with logic.

If established that P is true, then any conditional concluding P is also true, since in formal logic there is no implied connection between the antecedent and the consequent, only the consequent need be true for the conditional to be true (I exist, therefore if you exist then I exist).
Right, though some logicians have objected to material implication on these grounds. In any case, it's especially counterintuitive when the conclusion's antecedent is the negation of the premise. Most of the confusion stems from peoples' tendency to conflate material implication and causation; these arguments are actually good for dispelling that illusion.

As I said, the start of a reductio ad absurdum. The conclusion must be true for the reductio ad absurdum to follow.
No. The third argument is the identity (A, therefore, A). bologna figured it out but for some reason said the first argument was the identity.

G

garbage

Perhaps, but that's an explanation of why you gave an ambiguous answer, and not an explanation why it wasn't actually ambiguous.
Ambiguity is relative.
Even with the truth-table, it's still counterintuitive and difficult to explain why it must be so.
It's pretty easy to explain with a truth table--we just use the thing that I added to the original response, slap in some rows where p's and q's are 1s and 0s, bold some columns that are equivalent, and we have a cut-and-dry explanation using a truth table.

I'd do it here but I forgot how to make a table in vBulletin :dry:
Right, but then why did you say the first argument was the identity?
I fucked up at first glance, realized it, edited my post with the actual answer, and forgot to edit out the original fuckup.

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Ambiguity is relative.
But not in the same way that obviousness is. You simply referred to some 'oddity' of 'logical implication'. Which oddity? And does 'logical implication' refer to logical entailment or material implication? It was an ambiguous answer. I couldn't discern whether you understood why the second argument was valid; and this came right after you incorrectly told me the first argument was an identity. At that point, it was far from clear to me that you knew what you were talking about.

It's pretty easy to explain with a truth table--we just use the thing that I added to the original response, slap in some rows where p's and q's are 1s and 0s, bold some columns that are equivalent, and we have a cut-and-dry explanation using a truth table.
Truth-tables are useful, especially when checking for consistency. However, they are not the same thing as a good explanation, at least to me.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Right, though even some logicians have objected to material implication on these grounds. In any case, it's especially counterintuitive when the conclusion's antecedent is the negation of the premise.

They merely want to redefine a connective/function, creating a new, slightly different language by narrowing the use of the conditional (for various reasons). Since material implication is defined as what it is, and is pure semantics, it is true (a tautology).

It uses English terms with a different meaning, causing confusion, but I've not witnessed any find the actually meaning of the material implication counterintuitive, once they realize it is not English and does not resemble the English "if, then" in any significant way. "It is logic's first surprise" in the wiki article just means in the typical learning process of formal logic, it is the first outright contradiction of English (though "or" is a common surprise, though not a contradiction).

No. The third argument is the identity. Bologna figured it out but for some reason said the first argument was the identity.

Its conclusion is not the same as its premise, it is not an identity. The conclusion merely entails the premise. All three can lead back to their premise, with additional logic added, becoming an identity.

Maybe I have a strange mind to not find it counterintuitive at all, but formal logic is a language built to be as minimalistic as possible, for the sake of precision, about truth preservation. All conditionals in natural language can be built from it, sometimes in needlessly complex ways, but they remain true. It's much simpler if natural languages like English are never brought into it.

EDIT: made the third paragraph clearer.

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
As I said in my first post, it's the closest to an identity, since it commonly leads into one, but it is not. Its conclusion is not the same as its premise, it is not an identity. All three can lead back to the premise, becoming an identity, but none are in their current state.
No, it really is an identity.

~P → P ⊨ ~(~P & ~P) ⊨ ~(~P) ⊨ P​

Or alternately we could use bologna's example,

~P → P ⊨ ~(~P) v P ⊨ P v P ⊨ P​

If the conclusion of a valid argument implies the premises, then the premises and conclusion are logically equivalent. In this case, while they are different formulae, they share the same consequence class (i.e. set of logical consequences). They are no less an identity than,

P ⊨ ~(~P)​

If by 'identity' you mean identical formulae, then obviously that's not what I meant.

In contrast, the first two arguments are not identities; their conclusions cannot 'lead back to the premise' as you claim. That is, the consequence class of each conclusion is a proper subset of the consequence class of its respective premise.

Maybe I have a strange mind to not find it counterintuitive at all, but formal logic is a language built to be as minimalistic as possible, for the sake of precision, about truth preservation. All conditionals in natural language can be built from it, sometimes in needlessly complex ways, but they remain true. It's much simpler if English is never brought into it.
Perhaps you do have a strange mind. Most people struggle to shed their habits of thought and intuitions so easily--it takes practice.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
If by 'identity' you mean identical formulae, then obviously that's not what I meant.

Not quite, I meant absent reductio ad absurdum (what is required to conclude P absent ~P, in the case of ~P → P), which is what I remember Identity being defined as. I'm going to guess that has either changed now or you are familiar with different semantics. It's clear now, at least.

Whilst I see the reason for the definition of identity you use, the reason for the definition I was using is the idea that P v ~P, ~(P & ~P) are both always true

Take ~P → P.
In the case of P, then P is true.
In the case of ~P, then P is true.

For all possibilities, P is true (so your definition of Identity fits), however in the second case both ~P and P are true, contradicting ~(P & ~P) and thus making it absurd.
With the original premise, P, and the absurdity of the case of ~P, reductio ad absurdum discharges ~P.
Without the original premise, P, reductio ad absurdum is equally valid in discharging ~P → P as it is ~P, since both statements were used to reach the absurd P & ~P.
The same is true when going from the premise to the conclusion, P and ~P both equally valid for discharge. Despite the premise and conclusion entailing each other prior to P v ~P, ~(P & ~P), it is considered a worthwhile distinction from those similar cases that still lack absurdity after P v ~P, ~(P & ~P) is applied.

Perhaps you do have a strange mind. Most people struggle to shed their habits of thought and intuitions so easily--it takes practice.

Well various areas of statistics and probability are commonly counterintuitive, and that is absent any mental attempt to give English meaning to a non-English term (which I did as well when learning about implication as well). If semantic confusion falls under "counterintuitive" then so be it, but I found when learning about the Monty Hall problem, for example, that my mind attempted to contradict the actual reasoning, and not the semantics, which was a much more jarring experience. That changed the way I thought, whereas formal logic (sentential, at least) did not, it just provided clarity (and as an anecdote I thought I witnessed this same reaction in several others).

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Well various areas of statistics and probability are commonly counterintuitive, and that is absent any mental attempt to give English meaning to a non-English term (which I did as well when learning about implication as well). If semantic confusion falls under "counterintuitive" then so be it, but I found when learning about the Monty Hall problem, for example, that my mind attempted to contradict the actual reasoning, and not the semantics, which was a much more jarring experience. That changed the way I thought, whereas formal logic (sentential, at least) did not, it just provided clarity (and as an anecdote I thought I witnessed this same reaction in several others).

The Monty Hall problem is fun, isn't it?

What people often fail to realize, and what they also often fail to explain, is that Monty changes the game in a predictable way. Monty has knowledge of where the goats are, and when you choose a door, he always opens a door revealing a goat. Some think of this as changing the mathematical odds, but what he is actually doing is making the first door choice irrelevant to the current situation (You start with three doors but you know for certain that one will be definitely eliminated, so it's like that door never existed)

G

garbage

But not in the same way that obviousness is. You simply referred to some 'oddity' of 'logical implication'. Which oddity? And does 'logical implication' refer to logical entailment or material implication? It was an ambiguous answer. I couldn't discern whether you understood why the second argument was valid; and this came right after you incorrectly told me the first argument was an identity. At that point, it was far from clear to me that you knew what you were talking about.

Truth-tables are useful, especially when checking for consistency. However, they are not the same thing as a good explanation, at least to me.
Was your purpose to give us a problem to solve and then grade our solutions, or to give us an actual point of discussion? I assumed the latter; which meant that you weren't my target audience. Getting down into the weeds would have been less clear for my target audience.

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Not quite, I meant absent reductio ad absurdum (what is required to conclude P absent ~P, in the case of ~P → P), which is what I remember Identity being defined as. I'm going to guess that has either changed now or you are familiar with different semantics. It's clear now, at least.
A reductio ad absurdum is not required to prove the argument. The proof is extremely simple:

Code:
P ⊨ ~P → P

(1) P             Premise
(2) ~P            Assumption for discharge
(3) ~P → P        From (1) and (2), discharge assumption

Yes, the premise and the assumption are contradictory, but there needn't be a reductio ad absurdum. It's a straightforward assume and discharge.

The law of identity,

P ≡ P​

That is a symbol often used to assert identity, and it's customarily extended to cases of logical equivalence:

P ≡ ~(~P)
P ≡ P & P
P ≡ P v P
P ≡ ~(~P & ~P)
...​

And so on ad infinitum. These are not, of course, identical formulae, but they are logically identical. That is, they have precisely the same truth conditions and consequence class. If the premise is true, then so must the conclusion be true and vice versa--the 'vice versa' is what sets identity apart from deducibility. Deducibility is transitive, while identity is symmetrical. So you can add to the above list:

P ≡ ~P → P​

Take ~P → P.
In the case of P, then P is true.
In the case of ~P, then P is true.

For all possibilities, P is true (so your definition of Identity fits), however in the second case both ~P and P are true, contradicting ~(P & ~P) and thus making it absurd.
This is irrelevant to the validity of the argument and the truth of the conclusion. Since '~P → P' is--in an important sense--just another way of writing 'P', of course, if '~P' is true, then 'P' is false and we have contradicted the premise, but '~P' is neither a premise nor entailed by '~P → P'. In other words, '~P → P' does not contradict 'P v ~P', and so all this irrelevant except as a means to construct an unnecessarily complicated proof.

With the original premise, P, and the absurdity of the case of ~P, reductio ad absurdum discharges ~P.
Without the original premise, P, reductio ad absurdum is equally valid in discharging ~P → P as it is ~P, since both statements were used to reach the absurd P & ~P.
The same is true when going from the premise to the conclusion, P and ~P both equally valid for discharge.
If you want to construct a reductio ad absurdum, then yes, both formulae are used to deduce 'P & ~P'. However, while all assumptions one uses must be discharged for a deduction to be valid, premises need not be. In fact, the rule is customarily that premises are never discharged. Since 'P' is the only premise, then, only '~P' can be discharged by the reductio ad absurdum.

Well, my primary goal with this thread was to mildly entertain people who are interested but have little familiarity with formal logic. If I just wanted to discuss logic, there are more interesting subjects and better forums. I was also curious to see if someone who was initially puzzled by these arguments could figure them out.

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Was your purpose to give us a problem to solve and then grade our solutions, or to give us an actual point of discussion?
A bit of both. To entertain, to educate, to ponder, and amuse.

I assumed the latter; which meant that you weren't my target audience. Getting down into the weeds would have been less clear for my target audience.
Right, and we're back to you explaining why your answer was ambiguous, and it's a fine explanation. But then why does it feel like you're trying to disagree with me about something?

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Have you?
Yes. I'm self-taught. I just bought some textbooks and started studying, so that probably made it more difficult. In any case, when I first encountered arguments like those I listed in the opening post (or their purely formal counterparts), I was surprised and confused. It was not immediately apparent to me how the conclusion could be deduced from the premises, and much less apparent how it could be true (even after I was aware of some purely mechanical means of testing for validity). It took practice, especially to familiarise myself with the nature of truth-tables of logical connectives. Understanding the basic rules of logic is relatively easy; understanding their consequences is difficult and often surprising.