• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Left Brain and the West

Mole

Permabanned
Do you think the West has gone too far with left brain thinking - that is, do you think we have gone too far with 'I -it' thinking?

Do you think we should cultivate more 'I - you' thinking?

The book, "The Master and the Emissary - the Divided Brain and the Making of the Western World", talks about this and here is the author - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbUHxC4wiWk

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you think the West has gone too far with left brain thinking - that is, do you think we have gone too far with 'I -it' thinking?

Do you think we should cultivate more 'I - you' thinking?

The book, "The Master and the Emissary - the Divided Brain and the Making of the Western World", talks about this and here is the author - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbUHxC4wiWk

This is a very good video. I too, like both sides of the brain just like he does, but would like the right brain developed more, just like he does.

I think this has happened. That we have gone too far. Becuase like he said the bird was using Left brain for looking for food. But the bird was also using the right brain to look at the whole, so that itself is not made into food.

We as humans have gotten to the point where we don't need to think on an everyday basis "Is this thing looking to eat me?" So we have more time and energy to put towards the part of the brain that says "This can be food" And of course this really applies to western way of thinking. And causes those problems he is talking about, like looking for happiness but in that we become resentful. <---cause we are not using the right brain to balance out the left.

Mole

Permabanned
This is a very good video. I too, like both sides of the brain just like he does, but would like the right brain developed more, just like he does.

I think this has happened. That we have gone too far. Becuase like he said the bird was using Left brain for looking for food. But the bird was also using the right brain to look at the whole, so that itself is not made into food.

We as humans have gotten to the point where we don't need to think on an everyday basis "Is this thing looking to eat me?" So we have more time and energy to put towards the part of the brain that says "This can be food" And of course this really applies to western way of thinking. And causes those problems he is talking about, like looking for happiness but in that we become resentful. <---cause we are not using the right brain to balance out the left.

I am glad you liked the video and you picked out the salient points.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The West, The United States for example, is the most creative country with more inventions than can be counted at once. It's a hotbed of creativity! The economy is bred on free-thinking new ideas. It is doubtful it's too 'left-brained'.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am glad you liked the video and you picked out the salient points.

Do you believe we could use some more right brain thinking over in the western hemisphere?

I have also been introduced to this idea by spirit science(if you don't already know about it, you may want to youtube it. From the impression I have gotten you may like it) This idea that we are ignoring a whole other part of us that has some really great things to contribute. This type of stuff really interests me, particularly the biology of psychology :)

Mole

Permabanned
Is it only related with the west or this issue become with the whole world.

The West has taken left hemisphere thinking to its logical conclusions with, for example, Relativity and Quantum Mechanics.

However the East is now moving West and China for instance is preparing, as I write, to mimic the West by putting a man on the Moon.

However as the East is moving West, the West is moving East, by mimicking Eastern families or tribes in the global village electonically.

Mole

Permabanned
The West, The United States for example, is the most creative country with more inventions than can be counted at once. It's a hotbed of creativity! The economy is bred on free-thinking new ideas. It is doubtful it's too 'left-brained'.

'Creativity' is a product of the literate individual, sometimes called 'a genius'.

However the Age of Literacy is over in the West and so is the literate individual, and so creativity is over, and so the creative genius is passé. Or to be more accurate, creativity is merely the content of the electronic media.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
'Creativity' is a product of the literate individual, sometimes called 'a genius'.

However the Age of Literacy is over in the West and so is the literate individual, and so creativity is over, and so the creative genius is passé. Or to be more accurate, creativity is merely the content of the electronic media.

Remember Kruschev? That guy came to the U.N, banged a shoe on the podium saying "WE WILL BURY YOUUU!!!! WE'LL TAKE AMERICA WITHOUT A SHOT!!". COMMUNISM IS THE WAY OF THE FUTURE!!!"

Yeah, the way of the future. Yea. Worked great didn't it. I've heard hot air before but usually it has been into filling a balloon. There have been several attempts to subvert the U.S. Constitution and freedom. And we laugh at them! America laughs at them. They make for pretty funny jokes hahah!!

Thanks!

P.S. Why would you know what's going on here? And B.) Why would you give a damn? I wouldn't know what's going on in Australia/Laos/Mogadishu. And I don't care. We've got real things to think about.

P.P.S. But I do have a favorable opinion about your country.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually, while I understand what each side is saying here, I don't think the West is as creative in some ways. I think in the very very broadest sense, the West is very left-brain and very technologically driven.

We are a "hot" country; our paradigm is tech-progress. Levi-Strauss and other anthropologists have noticed this. We think linearly and progress linearally, in the most broad sense. Even our creativity and our religion tends to be structured and limiting, meant for us to progress from Point A and Point B. Other nations see us as more structured and confined than they are, and not as creative per se.

Our approach can also be very different from "cold" cultures that are cyclical and might be more right-brained focused.

I think "creativity" only really comes in when you get in the trenches in our culture, and see creativity on the microcosmic scale, for specific products for example. But our broad thinking? Not very creative. Note the broad topics of interest in our country and how we've been stuck in a rut for long periods of time. The people elected to solve the problems of our nation economically and politically right now end up in uncreative stagnant struggles, with little progerss being made. Etc. It's all very "me / my way" centered and fitting with each person's concept of what they think is right, rather than looking at the big picture and how everything fits into it.

Nicodemus

Remember Kruschev? That guy came to the U.N, banged a shoe on the podium saying "WE WILL BURY YOUUU!!!! WE'LL TAKE AMERICA WITHOUT A SHOT!!". COMMUNISM IS THE WAY OF THE FUTURE!!!"

Yeah, the way of the future. Yea. Worked great didn't it.
I can see the argument: X did not beat Y, therefore Y is invincible!

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
America is a duality. We are culturally authoritarian and believe in preemptive police action, from street level policing to capitol punishment and high-altitude bombing, yet we are creative in-so-far as this leads to faster, better outcomes of the authoritarian model.
I was thinking the other day of a place like the Czech Republic. Their first president was a playwright and poet. This could never happen in the USA

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know, you have to compensate for having such a tiny history compared to the adult countries.

We are still very young, and our prior power left us rather heady...

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
I can see the argument: X did not beat Y, therefore Y is invincible!

Interesting point.

Is "invincible" a theoretical construct or a result of hard facts - "there is no-one in existence who can defeat us therefore we are in effect invincible even if not in theory"

Does perfection imply a theoretical attempt to emulate arbitrary standards, or does it mean being the best in existence, which in practice means sacrificing a great many "attributes" in order to establish and maintain dominance in a hostile and dirty world.

I don't like the way America and its junior partners intervene in other countries...but it can't be doubted they have established the most civilized model for humanity...a theoretically "better" West may be a weaker West in practice...and seemingly "rational" Eastern systems may be in practice perfectly irrational, because they do not take into account the "irrationality" of humans (which may in fact be based on "prisoner's dilemma" and the impossibility of obtaining complete information at any given time - all of which are the price of individual freedom).

The Soviet Constitution was seemingly very enlightened in its promises, which guaranteed its people not only negative liberty, but "positive liberty"...in practice, the attempt resulted in slavery precisely because these things cannot be guaranteed.

I realize I went on a tangent but your post got me thinking.

Mole

Permabanned
The Pivot

Why would you know what's going on here? And B.) Why would you give a damn? I wouldn't know what's going on in Australia/Laos/Mogadishu. And I don't care. We've got real things to think about.

We share a Land Treaty with you. We share a Military Treaty with you. And we share an Economic Treaty with you. We have fought in every major conflict beside you in the last 100 years. We wrote your counter-insurgency handbook and our officers are permanently stationed in the Pentagon. And as well we have the very highest access to your Intelligence Service, on a daily basis.

As I write you are pivotting your forces to Australia to counter China in the Pacific and Indian Oceans.

However it is in our interests to maintain the peace between the USA and China.

Mole

Permabanned
The Content

There have been several attempts to subvert the U.S. Constitution and freedom. And we laugh at them! America laughs at them.

It is not just the U.S. Constitution and freedom that is being subverted, it is literacy itself.

And by logging on to Central every day, we are all suberting literacy.

Literacy is not disappearing, rather it is being transformed. Literacy is being transformed from print to electonic print (eprint) which we see in front of us now.

And while print gave us the literate, creative individual, eprint gives us the electronic tribe (etribe) in the global village. And the creative individual becomes the content of the etribe, just as you, you creative individual you, have become the content of Typology Central.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I think the problem is i-it thinking being applied to interpersonal relationships not to technical problems.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I think the problem is left brained thinking being applied to interpersonal relationships not the lack of right brained thinking being applied to technical problems.