• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

what is home?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess it just makes me question the meaning of home a bit with the holidays and travel coming up... is your home where you're from or where you made it? what is home? are roots important and should they be maintained or can you move on? does anyone else feel incredibly uncomfortable in their hometown? :huh:

Home is where I am now. It's a beautiful town really. Lots of hills and trees and stuff. I like visiting the neighborhood where I grew up - never been uncomfortable with that at all. It's just your run of the mill bedroom community.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess it just makes me question the meaning of home a bit with the holidays and travel coming up... is your home where you're from or where you made it? what is home? are roots important and should they be maintained or can you move on? does anyone else feel incredibly uncomfortable in their hometown? :huh:

Home is where I am now. It's a beautiful town really. There are lots of hills and trees and stuff - which is pretty rare for the state I'm in. I like visiting the neighborhood where I grew up - never been uncomfortable with that at all. It's just your run of the mill bedroom community.

Burger King

I was thinking about this today actually. I know for myself home isn't where I was raised or where I had formative experiences, the place I grew up doesn't make me uncomfortable, but I feel pretty much a 'nothing' for it. Home to me is.. where I like the feeling of being there and I made that for myself where I am at now.. for now. *smile* It may change again, who knows?
I equate home with comfort and warmth.. with acceptance and security, with those intact, I can make a home.

This is well put. I feel this way, especially the bolded.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This topic also begs the question...who here would consider where you squat your home? Kinda like squaters rights. It doesnt matter if its yours or not you can basically inhabit another persons place with no problem. For example one of my uncles will completely take over his parents house when they are on vacation. He will take over there bed, cars, house, etc. Like it becomes his for that period of time.

Mole

Permabanned
I feel at home at the centre of things. And when things are friendly, I am visible; and when things are unfriendly, I am invisible.

So I have made my home at the centre of a Continent, at the centre of the great oceans of the world, the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean and the Great Southern Ocean; and at the centre of politics - for when we get the politics right, all the rest seem to follow along. And as Power lends itself legitimacy with beauty, I enjoy the well funded, well cultivated, beauty for free, under the Southern Cross.

xisnotx

Permabanned
According to my professor, home is where you "return to".

I offered the answer "the place where you sleep". He didn't think it was a very good answer...but the idea was the same.

How about, "the place where you go to die, either daily, or finally".

Personally, I have a home that is "where I'm from", a home that is "where I am" and a home that is "where I am going". The first two aren't the same, so I doubt either of the two will be the same as the last one.

My home, then, is Earth. Though, I'd love to die in space...