• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What makes a leader a leader?

gromit

likes this
That is a good question. I would say

• Firm grasp of reality, cause and effect, potential outcomes, etc
  • Moral courage
  • Humility, accepts when wrong
  • Ability to relate to and inspire people
  • Makes a strong/thoughtful decision in the face of a difficult situation

To me, these are the traits that a good leader possesses.

W

WALMART

I am a leader. My style of leadership is 'lead by example'. I seem to be the first to take initiative in the various situations I am placed in.

My old manager was a leader as well, but his style was more 'lead by command'. Together, we made a fine team.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Charisma, Empathy and natural communication skills.

And/or enough intelligence to fake any of the above.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A leader does not need to take immediate action. He does not need to expect immediate results. His role is like that of the architect, to design the blueprint and construct a vision we can all aspire towards, pointing the way towards almighty accomplishments that we will have wrought in another generation as a grand testament of our amazing achievements.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A leader does not need to take immediate action. He does not need to expect immediate results. His role is like that of the architect, to design the blueprint and construct a vision we can all aspire towards, pointing the way towards almighty accomplishments that we will have wrought in another generation as a grand testament of our amazing achievements.

If only that was enough. It takes more effort to get the ball rolling than 'pointing in the right direction'. For proof, look at the state of our world. ;)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I may have approached this topic from a different point of view than others. People seem to stress points what they believe makes a leader a good leader. I focused more on what is important to get the mindless masses follow a leader.

To join therest, imo: A good leader is a person that follows an ideal and by example has other people follow him/her without need of a hierarchy or any form of supremacy.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The question is "a leader" not "a good leader".

Leader is defined by followers. Anyone who has a trait that leads to at least one follower can be a leader. This trait can be nearly anything - charisma, technical skill, experience, persuasion, manipulation, admiration, physical strength, political strength, desire to lead, etc etc etc.

If the question is what makes a good leader, or a popular leader, that would be a question with fewer answers. But pretty much everyone has been a leader at some point, and pretty much anything can make you a leader. You don't even need to want to be a leader.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Like [MENTION=206]Randomnity[/MENTION], I see a leader as someone who people look to imitate. Generally I feel like people are drawn to those who exhibit steady judgment, volunteer to take responsibility, and demonstrate authority.

a leader knows when and how to make war.

the truly gifted ones can make peace as well:
http://bhorowitz.com/2011/04/15/peacetime-ceowartime-ceo/

(chess, poker and military strategy seem particularly well-loved by most leaders i know.)

Fascinating. I think I learned to lead in a "war" situation, and it was hard to acclimate to the other side. It's so very different being a rebel leader than it is being an authorized leader. The challenges in the "war" realm are so much about learning how to play when the game is stacked against you, and how to toe the line successfully, but in some ways it's easier because you're ultimately responding instead of initiating. It's someone else's game. Whereas when you're in "peacetime", suddenly the question becomes what direction you want to take.

I see the parallels with backgammon, a game I used to play with my dad - never really had any experience with chess. Sometimes it's paradoxically easier to be on the losing side.

Little_Sticks

I think I may have approached this topic from a different point of view than others. People seem to stress points what they believe makes a leader a good leader. I focused more on what is important to get the mindless masses follow a leader.

I'm really glad you raised this point. I want to ask you though, can a leader be both good a leader and yet be able to get the mindless masses to follow him/her? I sometimes wonder if it's a prerequisite for being a good leader, as both seem equally important to me.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What makes a leader a leader? Having followers.

Mole

Permabanned
Having just seen the movie, "The Master", it's plain we all long for a master.

Typology Central is the perfect example. We long for a master so much we follow Carl Jung, no matter that he himself followed the Führer.

The Führer was the leader par excellence. He mastered a whole nation and in the rag and bone yard of our hearts we long to be mastered as well.

A

Anew Leaf

Hmm, well, maybe we need to break down the word "leader" into its many parts.

Lead | er

Lead = Pb, Atomic weight 82
Er = That noise you make when you realize you said something amiss.

Lead is poisonous so you apply it to things and then you poison stuff and then you're like "Er... my bad."

The End.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I will fight tooth and nail that I am not a leader, especially not a manager...but every job I have had I have always been placed as the lead. I lack the "er" which comes out with me walking a path and turning around and people happen to be following me. :doh: I have also been known to try to keep people from following me, but I dont always seem to do a good job of that. :doh:

Mole

Permabanned
We all follow our parents as children and as adults we are still looking for parents to follow.

But our parents are no longer available so we look for substitute parents to follow.

So our leaders are substitute parents.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm really glad you raised this point. I want to ask you though, can a leader be both good a leader and yet be able to get the mindless masses to follow him/her? I sometimes wonder if it's a prerequisite for being a good leader, as both seem equally important to me.

A good leader can also choose to conform to those aspects that are required to get people to follow. But being a good leader is no requirement.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

To join therest, imo: A good leader is a person that follows an ideal and by example has other people follow him/her without need of a hierarchy or any form of supremacy.

It's a vague question but looking at it from this context, there are several things that people look for in a leader. Examples include:
- Honest
- Inspiring
- Competent
- Ability to motivate
- Intelligent
- Forward looking and broad minded
- Fair
- Supportive
- Lead by example; credibility of action is more important than words