• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2060 The End of the World

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So then the time times & half a time are 42 months or 1260 days or three years & an half, recconing twelve months to a yeare & 30 days to a month as was done in the Calendar of the primitive year. And the days of short lived Beasts being put for the years of lived [sic for “long lived”] kingdoms, the period of 1260 days, if dated from the complete conquest of the three kings A.C. 800, will end A.C. 2060. It may end later, but I see no reason for its ending sooner. This I mention not to assert when the time of the end shall be, but to put a stop to the rash conjectures of fancifull men who are frequently predicting the time of the end, & by doing so bring the sacred prophesies into discredit as often as their predictions fail. Christ comes as a thief in the night, & it is not for us to know the times & seasons wch God hath put into his own breast.

A new heaven & new earth. New Jerusalem comes down from heaven prepared as a Bride adorned for her husband. The marriage supper. God dwells with men wipes away all tears from their eyes, gives them of ye fountain of living water & creates all thin things new saying, It is done. The glory & felicity of the New Jerusalem is represented by a building of Gold & Gemms enlightened by the glory of God & ye Lamb & watered by ye river of Paradise on ye banks of wch grows the tree of life. Into this city the kings of the earth do bring their glory & that of the nations & the saints reign for ever & ever.

source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Newton's_occult_studies

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
The title is a bit misleading considering Newton believed the world would not end any time earlier than 2060. He didn't predict that the world would necessarily end in 2060.

Any attempt at predicting the end of the world is foolish anyway.

Lark

They said it would end in 2000, then 2012 (so far, so good) and now 2060, that's excluding all the different dates given by heavens gate, jim jones style outfits. So I'm sceptical.

I'm more interested in why people are interested in or focused upon endings, I think the world has caught pessimism like a virus and can not shake it off. I have always liked the fact that some of the prayers I know feature the line "world without end, amen" because it is what I believe. None of the apocalyptic passages as I know them in Christianity are about an end.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
God is going to evolve when the AI from the singularity goes back in time and has buttsex with a dinosaur creating raptorjesus :rotfl:

/DG/

I'm more interested in why people are interested in or focused upon endings, I think the world has caught pessimism like a virus and can not shake it off.

This would make for an interesting topic of discussion.

Lark

This would make for an interesting topic of discussion.

I posted about it, in a thread entitled "what the world needs now", it was influenced by two books I've read, one is The Revolution of Hope by Erich Fromm, the other is Hope For Man by Joshua Loth Liebman, they're both instant favourites of mine.

Nicodemus

Any attempt at predicting the end of the world is foolish anyway.
Not really.

Wikipedia said:
The Sun used to be fainter in the past, which is possibly the reason life on Earth has only existed for about 1 billion years on land. The increase in solar temperatures is such that in about another billion years the surface of the Earth will likely become too hot for liquid water to exist, ending all terrestrial life.

Solar_Life_Cycle.svg

/DG/

I posted about it, in a thread entitled "what the world needs now", it was influenced by two books I've read, one is The Revolution of Hope by Erich Fromm, the other is Hope For Man by Joshua Loth Liebman, they're both instant favourites of mine.
Ahh...I've located it now. I just subscribed to the thread, although I'm more of a lurker than a poster.

Not really.
Why so?

I suppose I see what you mean if we are talking from a purely scientific standpoint. For example, predicting the end of the world because a massive comet is going to collide with the Earth.

Is this what you had in mind?

Nicodemus

Because we can, in a not-too-foolish fashion, predict the life cycle of the sun, which determines what happens to this planet we live on.

Is this what you had in mind?
What I had in mind was to point out that you were wrong, although I suspect (and suspected) that you meant what you said slightly differently. I said it anyway, because I also had in mind to make it my final contribution to a stupid thread.

/DG/

Because we can, in a not-too-foolish fashion, predict the life cycle of the sun, which determines what happens to this planet we live on.
Ah yes. Well of course this makes much more sense than the conspiracy video posted in this thread.

What I had in mind was to point out that you were wrong, although I suspect (and suspected) that you meant what you said slightly differently. I said it anyway, because I also had in mind to make it my final contribution to a stupid thread.
Haha. This is understandable. But yes, I suppose I should have picked my words more carefully.

T

The Iron Giant

They said it would end in 2000, then 2012 (so far, so good) and now 2060, that's excluding all the different dates given by heavens gate, jim jones style outfits. So I'm sceptical.

And they thought it would happen in the year 1000 too... seems like there's always someone who thinks the world's about to end. I'm also skeptical. Beyond that, I can worry with the best of 'em, but I really don't see a point in worrying about this. What, are we all supposed to jump when the world ends and we'll be OK or something? I guess if I had irrefutable knowledge that we'd all die in 2060, I'd push to renegotiate my contract for higher pay and less retirement.

ms.behaving

MBTI Type
eNFJ
Instinctual Variant
so
Earth... the most incredible spacecraft that God has ever invented. Will we ring in 2013? or will we go down in a firey blaze of solar flared fury?

Lark

And they thought it would happen in the year 1000 too... seems like there's always someone who thinks the world's about to end. I'm also skeptical. Beyond that, I can worry with the best of 'em, but I really don't see a point in worrying about this. What, are we all supposed to jump when the world ends and we'll be OK or something? I guess if I had irrefutable knowledge that we'd all die in 2060, I'd push to renegotiate my contract for higher pay and less retirement.

Its not within our control and I dont see knowledge of what's likely to happen or not likely to happen influencing much to be honest.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Actually, without getting into a *long drawn out discussion or debate, let me quickly say that the Bible does not predict the end of the world anywhere. It does predict the end of an age or time, or rather a restructuring of the way life on earth is conducted. People then read these passages, filter them through sensationalism and pessimism and take them to mean the end of the world, but it's actually only "the end of the world as we know it"[REM],which means the "earth shall endure forever" [Kind David, Psalms]. However, it does state in several places, that the present day world "system" or "ways" of doing things will one day change. It teaches that the earth itself will endure, that there will be a time of massive upheaval and unrest, which will ultimately give way to a time of peace.

A new heaven & new earth. New Jerusalem comes down from heaven prepared as a Bride adorned for her husband. The marriage supper. God dwells with men wipes away all tears from their eyes, gives them of ye fountain of living water & creates all thin things new saying, It is done. The glory & felicity of the New Jerusalem is represented by a building of Gold & Gemms enlightened by the glory of God & ye Lamb & watered by ye river of Paradise on ye banks of wch grows the tree of life. Into this city the kings of the earth do bring their glory & that of the nations & the saints reign for ever & ever.

That's not an end of the world, just an end to present day governments as we know them and a description, through the eyes of a prophet of 2,000 years ago attempting to put in his language of the time what was going to take place. John meant for those words to comfort people, not scare them.

*I can back up anything I say with precise scriptural reverences in English, Spanish and/Hebrew or Greek, but I've got to work now so I hope you'll forgive me for taking a few sentences rather than a few pages to explain myself.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=16382]Ene[/MENTION] that was a very well thought out responce to a thread I made only halfway in a serious nature, but still, the question of the term 'apocalypse' or what changes that encompasses as far as 'the end' goes remains a very big one.

I've recently come to think that we really don't know for sure what the end will be like (it could be a metaphor), or even it it's anytime soon (let alone if ever), so for me it's not important to focus too much on the end. Rather, I believe in focusing on what we can do to shape future events. Perhaps if we take the right steps of action, prophecies of a negative nature could be entirely avoided for all we know!

The return of Christ may be some kind of enlightenment or elevation of awareness and ethics for the world, could help us to better coexist happily and peacefully.

Then there's the big question of what Heaven is exactly like. Could it be a higher dimension, a great space station, a metaphor for peace, a better Earth, or some/all/none of those things?

The important thing I think with Newton is that he thought science and religion would one day be one and the same. I guess this could imply that the truth is integrative, so surely the spiritual could mix with the rational, kind of like with a 'heavenly hyperdimensional alien realm' or whatever.

There's so much great stuff out there for us to realize and find. Let us continue our journey all the way to God!

I

Infinite Bubble

The end of the humanoids will happen because of a celestial civil war primarily governed by battles between the Colony of Mars and the Colony of Mercury. Those of Titan and Pluto will be neutral, but become ensnared until extinction anyway, due to the Mars residents' bipolar-like changeability - suddenly attacking the CoT & CoP with a malignant impulse and a childish whim. The Martians will finally wipe out the Mercurials, but while self-sacrificing by speeding up the Sun's life cycle to the red giant stage and finally causing a supernova, obliterating the entire Solar System in the process.