• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Caution: Satanist

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hmmm? I think I shall agree with Meshou on this one. Even those who doubt the "literalness" of some of the books like Genesis usually don't think Jesus was just allegory.

Jesus existed as a man, and there is a God, but he is so great that we can not understand him with our finite minds. At best Jesus was not God himself, but a symbol of God. So we have to understand his task as a Messiah symbollically. Believe in Jesus, you will be saved because you've just stepped onto the path to salvation by embracing the symbol of God. Its basically like stepping into the door that you don't know what leads to, you just know its something great beyond your comprehension.

Thats how I interpret it.

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Satanic worship, as with any worship, is illogical. The OP seems to think that people should run and hide because he's chosen one of the more benign and ineffective forms of superstitious nonsense. The choice of pinhead and the cautionary warning may well have worked in another time but now just point to an obvious need for a hug from somone. If not given, he's likely to infer that he will boil the head of a dog from the next trailer over.

You are obviously an idiot, you come in here on this post after I have already clearly stated that i was just sateing my curiosity by starting it. YOU are the one who wants to attack me, YOU are the only one here who seems to think every thing ive posted is a direct attack at your ego. Please sit down and shut the hell up asshole. Im not here to play your games or attack anyones veiws, everything I said was not an attack just mearly the truth as I see it. The "Caution" was obviously for ignorant, self-loathing, thick-headed, closed-minded ingrates such as your self who must flaunt his ego and power through "texting". How lame do you have to be to come here on your free time and try to cyber-bully, you sir are a douche-bag!

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
I'd say the agknowledgement that Satan is a personal archetype and not a historical figure is a pretty fundamental difference. Most LeVey Satanists would laugh at insistance on a real Satan or a real Christ as ignorant fairy tale stuff.

Edit: Further, I'd imagine many Satanists reject the Messiah archetype as harmful. They'd view it as the embodyment of the human need to be rescued from the concequences of their actions, and further, as the need to be rescued from their own impulses. Lack of personal mastery of your own impulses, to the point one needs rescue from them, is pretty much the CoS version of "evil."

Don't shoot the messenger here. Playing Devil's advocate. Heh.

Thank you so much, I couldnt have said it better myself. Oh and yes everything you said in there Is true and my own oponions are in accordence with them.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Okay, chill people. :footballreferee:

Get back to the topic, or bad stuff is going to happen.

I mean really bad stuff. Like knuckle vices and such.

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Thank you Haight, and I apologise to everyone except the [Edited by Haight].
This is not a war of beliefs just mearly idle chatter so lets all keep calm about it and so will I. (oh and I do know when I say "all" I mostly mean only a couple of people other than myself.)

MBTI Type
ENTP
Booyalab: Being pretentious is a skill you use well if for no other reason than to appear intellectual. Considering your own posts and logic, the two are so far apart as to be practically non-existent.
is this vague critique of my intellect supposed to get me back for apparently hurting your feelings or are you just that insecure in your ability to specifically address my points?

Define for me, in your own words, how worship of a non entity is logical. Take your time. You'll need it.
edit: by the way, i noticed how you slyly changed the phrasing of your rhetoric to your benefit from the first post to this one..and you call me pretentious. In my example at the bottom, i'm addressing the first phrasing.

Most Satanists either worship themselves or Satan as an archetype, neither of which are 'non entities'.
I'm defining worship as expressing devotion to someone/something through one's lifestyle, that's the most common form, in religion or life in general.

LOGIC:
There are some things worthy of worship/devotion/honor/admiration (all synonyms!)
xyz is worthy of worship/devotion/honor/admiration
I worship xyz

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
You are obviously an idiot, you come in here on this post after I have already clearly stated that i was just sateing my curiosity by starting it. YOU are the one who wants to attack me, YOU are the only one here who seems to think every thing ive posted is a direct attack at your ego. Please sit down and shut the hell up asshole. Im not here to play your games or attack anyones veiws, everything I said was not an attack just mearly the truth as I see it. The "Caution" was obviously for ignorant, self-loathing, thick-headed, closed-minded ingrates such as your self who must flaunt his ego and power through "texting". How lame do you have to be to come here on your free time and try to cyber-bully, you sir are a douche-bag!

Interesting. When someone criticized you, you flamed them, claiming that they were the attacker. :jesus:

Crabapple

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'd like to get back to the discussion. If possible. Now this I find interesting:

.... There seems to be a large number of those in the "Wow look at me!" religions such as wiccan, paganism and satanism. Too many kids wanting to be "cool"....
And actually just for future reference, I know this is going to make me sound "lame" or "childish" but I do hate/despise/do not respect Judeo Christianity as a whole. Not individuals of the following or practice (some yes lol) but the religion, its findings and just its teachings in them self.

I'd say that there are a large number of neo-pagans who are of the let's all hold hands and skip thru the greensward to find the fairies types. There are also feminist and ecological types. There are the mysteries of magic types. There are those who are dissatisfied with their religious up bringing. There are those who want transformation and change. Other than the young and immature, may I ask what's your general opinion of neo-paganism and neo-pagans?

And why do you dislike Judeo-Christianity, other than turn the other cheek and dislike/disbelief in a Messiah?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jesus existed as a man, and there is a God, but he is so great that we can not understand him with our finite minds. At best Jesus was not God himself, but a symbol of God. So we have to understand his task as a Messiah symbollically. Believe in Jesus, you will be saved because you've just stepped onto the path to salvation by embracing the symbol of God. Its basically like stepping into the door that you don't know what leads to, you just know its something great beyond your comprehension. Thats how I interpret it.

Okay -- as long as you acknowledge that to be a belief. :) (based on the assumption in bold above.)

On the other hand, maybe you are not debating whether Jesus was God per se.... but simply that Jesus was [like a Word, which John actually called him] merely a "pointer" to a deeper truth? This interpretation would preserve both Jesus being God as well as Jesus being symbolic, if you can handle paradox.

All right, back to your regularly scheduled Satanist hodgepodge.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Okay -- as long as you acknowledge that to be a belief. :) (based on the assumption in bold above.)

On the other hand, maybe you are not debating whether Jesus was God per se.... but simply that Jesus was [like a Word, which John actually called him] merely a "pointer" to a deeper truth? This interpretation would preserve both Jesus being God as well as Jesus being symbolic, if you can handle paradox.

All right, back to your regularly scheduled Satanist hodgepodge.

The thing is, I dont believe that we can say that Jesus was God because we don't know what God is. God, as described in the Bible is just far too great for us to fathom. Its basically like he is an infinite and all powerful being, yet we can only fathom (understand through experience) what is finite. We can talk about infinity, but then it would have to be symbollic and not experiential.

Accordingly, Jesus may have had the essence of God dwelling in him, yet again we would not be able to grasp it so we have to treat him as just a symbol. This does not make him any less divine, this only acknowledges the limitations of human understanding.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
As an agnostic it makes no more sense to me to believe/worship Satan than it does to believe/worship God.

Even if Satanism is not about worshipping Satan and it is actually a philosophy, why call it by the name of a figure in Christianism? It seems to me that the only point is in creating a shock effect, to attract youngsters who feel seduced at the idea of rebelling against Christianism.

Methofelis

MBTI Type
INTP
sorry to go off a bit...

My problem with the LaVey version of Satanism is that everyone assumes it is his coined term and his idea.

Some people do truly worship the 'adversary' (since Satan or Lucifer or the Devil being 'evil' and the opposing force of God, the dark to the light, was an invention and untrue in the first place...) or simply fall under the pejorative 'Satanist' due to paganism beliefs and the like... which, also bothers the hell out of me, since the Old Religions came before Christianity -- damn thing wouldn't exist without them...

I know that many people here may know better, but never the less -- if you say you're a Satanist, people think LaVey -- not the original rebellion brought on by the peasants sick and tired of the rulings of the church -- which, of course at the time were far more restrictive than they are now. Having four 'clean' weeks when you are allowed to have sex with your spouse had to cause some dissent.

Granted, looking at it objectively, LaVey did some good things for Satanism. Rejecting animal sacrifice earns him points -- rejecting Black Mass, et cetera.
Atheism over true worship.

I think the general ideals of the original rules set by the Witches that LaVey enjoyed so much, "An' it harm none, do what thou wilt," are good.
People do need to look out for themselves anymore.

I cannot say much else good for it, being that it seems to have been adopted by rambling fools (I am not speaking of the OP) who run around carving symbols in cats and quoting the Necronomicon (which has nothing to do with anything...)

Nice idea to an extent. Bad following with poor lines of reason to follow.

meshou

MBTI Type
INXP
I think the general ideals of the original rules set by the Witches that LaVey enjoyed so much, "An' it harm none, do what thou wilt," are good.
Witchcraft, as it exists today, did not exist before about 1950.

Neopaganism is just that-- new. It has its roots in the theosophy craze of the 1800s, and drew from older descriptions of dead pagan practices, but yes, those practices were firmly killed.

If LeVey needed to say sorry to anyone, it was probably Aleister Crowley and Friedrich Nietzsche.

Methofelis

MBTI Type
INTP
Witchcraft, as it exists today, did not exist before about 1950.

Neopaganism is just that-- new. It has its roots in the theosophy craze of the 1800s, and drew from older descriptions of dead pagan practices, but yes, those practices were firmly killed.

If LeVey needed to say sorry to anyone, it was probably Aleister Crowley and Friedrich Nietzsche.

Granted, and yes -- the true old Witchcraft religions were lost and bastardized many, many times over. The little shreds left, though, did make it in... and got bastardized.

Gotta love it.

And for making it hard for kids who dressed like me in school to avoid being called a Satanist. ... Or even to this day.

Somehow my Isis charm means I like Lucifer. Makes sense. :doh:

meshou

MBTI Type
INXP
Heh. Wasn't Crowley himself the LaVey of his day?
I think LeVey wished he were the Crowley of his day.

Crowley was a lot more weird and subversive and un-serious. LeVey wants to be an authoity when he writes, Crowley writes in a "ha-ha, only serious" tone.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree with more points of LaVeyan satanism than I do with Christianity. I consider myself a satanist, although I am not an official member of the Church of Satan.

Unlike the narrow-minded fundamentalist Christian, I am aware that LaVeyan satanism is not its opposite. I do not hate people who practice Christian faiths, but I am intensely critical about their beliefs and their often preposterous rituals.

I believe it is important to stick up for yourself and to not let others push you around. I think that protecting your own existence is logically more important than protecting another. But I often have contradictory beliefs about God. On one hand, I'll look at myself as God and have solipsist inclinations.

However, I also believe there is an even higher power than God. I have thought about our minds being programmed by our higher selves. Call it a "TRON" scenario (or "Matrix," but I hate that movie), but I believe that God is a higher spiritual version literally of ourselves.

A higher version of myself has programmed every single detail of my life and has plugged himself into a simulation to live life as me. So I guess you can say I borrowed some ideas from "Total Recall."

Since I believe that, I don't see life as a really big deal, and I laugh at people who value preservation of human life above all else. I mean, why is it so valuable? If it was really that valuable, wouldn't it last forever?

I think that when we die, we will wake up from the "simulation" and realize it was all in good fun of creating our own life. And then we would go ahead and program our next lives. We may program for ourselves a satisfying life, a boring life, or a depressing life, because life, like a dream, will soon end and we will wake up in death and realize that such an experience was actually quite intriguing, and like a nightmare, we sometimes enjoy them after we realize it wasn't real.

So that's what I believe...I hope my wording was clear enough.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Since I believe that, I don't see life as a really big deal, and I laugh at people who value preservation of human life above all else. I mean, why is it so valuable? If it was really that valuable, wouldn't it last forever?

Well, I see your point, but I would contend that it's valuable precisely because it doesn't last forever...