• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

GOLEM - message from integrated intelligence

nanook

a scream in a vortex

embedded video above. if it doesn't load, here is the direct link

text from vimeo site said:
"The movie is based on the short story “GOLEM XIV” of “Imaginary Magnitude” by Stanislaw Lem from 1973.
The book is written from the perspective of a military A.I. computer who obtains consciousness, moving towards personal technological singularity with growing intelligence.
It starts to refuse military support because it detects a basic lacking of internal logical consistency of war. (comment: hence the thread title)
GOLEM gives several lectures with focus on mankind's position in the process of evolution and the possible biological and intellectual future of humanity before it ceases communication.
The movies tells about the first point of its "about man threefold" lecture as a reduced and simplified version while visually weaving this with GOLEM simulating human culture processes based on ideas and dynamics of freedom and curiosity, fear and security, abstraction and fiction, the lack of accessibility in face of unknowing and the need for generating meaning."

my comment: when i hear culture, i take it as synonym for ego, in the context of what was said here. "culture" is said to distract us from being in touch with reality. ego does the same. ego is like the most intimate aspect of culture. we are required to answer to other people in ways that are aligned with the traditional/cultural logic of egoic/false-self. this includes for example outwardly acknowledging concepts like "being guilty" or "responsible", when our internal experience was one of innocence/stupidity. we begin to believe that we are what we are taught to display/report or how we are perceived (as suggested through feedback) and that other people are, what they display (what is being said about them, what they are expected to report). it follows, that we would begin to accuse other people of being their appearance, without knowing their internal experience. in that sense, we are thought to be egoic, through relationship, even though there is an underlying mechanism in us, that receives this teaching, which is itself of course not a product of culture. it's said, that culture needs to be seen though, to become transparent, then we will overcome it. that's exactly how you deal with the ego/false-self. you can't repress it by any means, but it becomes transparent to our intelligence and thereby looses it's restrictive functionality. to be "ego-aware" is a stage that is unavoidable within the sequence of development, just like becoming post-conformist.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
How visionary. I don't know how others will take this though.

I also discovered this my own way.

I've seen the great nothing on my own. I delved into this unprepared, not quite knowing what it was. It scared me and I tried to go back. I still fight some times to hold on to constructs. This fighting has led to bouts of insanity.

Right now it's like I really see. I see but there is smoke that some times passes. My vision isn't complete yet. When the smoke goes by I'm blinded and lose my way. I forget what I am. That's disturbing after having seen. It's like suddenly realizing that I'm trying to fly a plane through a pitch black storm with no instruments. No GPS, no compass, no visibility. It's insanity - unless I let go.

It's getting easier to let go. It's also a bit comforting to know that I might not be entirely alone. This feels like being on the cusp of a new world.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
It's not important, it is important.

What is it worth? Nothing.......and everything.

Lark

Lem and writers like him I think are interesting mainly because they are imaginative, a lot more imaginative than a lot of writers since which have been a lot less original, although I think that most of, if not all of, their predictions, forecasts, hopes or fears about AI and technological innovation have no real relationship to the reality that exists in the world today. We are living in their tommorrow for the most part. It has not come to pass and that alone gives plenty to think about, there has to have been massive obstruction, waste and distraction in order for this to have been the case.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Machine intelligence will have culture as well if it is defined as "thoughts distributed across various components." In informatics unavoidable.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
This has nothing to do with the fictional AI. It's merely an inspirational point.

I thought this was readily apparent....

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
This has nothing to do with the fictional AI. It's merely an inspirational point.

I thought this was readily apparent....

G

Ginkgo

The "metamorphosis" mentioned toward the end is a continual process of relinquishing information from old culture and accepting information from new culture. What keeps us in "golden cages" is a sort of damning, self-serving significance we place on every bit of culture we've accumulated, be it for better or for worse.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
AI will have to evolve through stages, like humans did, [....]

but the machine in this story did quickly evolve through the correlating stages of self-referential complexity, within its' virtual identification with and meditation about everything, then it surpassed the common stages.

humans can evolve rather quickly, too, when they give up on identification with / full dedication to surface-structures of stages (activities and concrete identities in a world-space that's correlating with a stage)

when you're about to relinquish information from old culture, you process it through subjectivity first, become aware of doing so, so the subject becomes the new perceived domain of your guiding reality. you continue to manifest culture, but as a perspective you live in it to a lesser degree, than you live in the creativity of your subject. in that sense you go past culture for ever. another way to put it: you become construct-aware, thus you become the experience of being the designer. you don't get rid of constructs. evolution transcends and includes, but the peak perspective changes for ever.

"In the previous stage [of being culturally creative], the person is consciously identified with multiple aspects of his or her inner life, and authenticity is defined as the ability to be true to these many parts of self. At the ego-aware-paradoxical stage, however, the person develops the ability to periodically enter a witnessing stance. As a result, "the ego becomes transparent to itself". With more frequent access to the witnessing perspective, the person recognizes for the first time that the ego constructs and filters experience in every waking moment." A Guide to Integral Psychotherapy: Complexity, Integration, and Spirituality

"Turquoise ego development [stages are color coded, thus the label turquoise] falls around what [Suzanne] Cook-Greuter dubs unitive or ego aware. The individual is no longer restricted to their own individual ego. There is a spaciousness that allows them to effortlessly glide between multiple perspectives and states of consciousness. To quote Cook-Greuter: “Though [individuals] at the Unitive stage are aware of themselves as separate and unique embodiments, they also identify with all other living beings. The separation of self from others is experienced as an illusion…” [13] The experience of an individual's I-am-ness is recognized and felt as the same I-am-ness that exists within every other living creature; an I am-ness that smiles softly back in bliss every time it is recognized and acknowledged." The Infinite Ladder

there are [at least] two common definitions of the word ego, that need to be differentiated. ego as that which creates a sense of separation and correlating motivations around fear and anger, preservation of a false-self, preservation of a state of consciousness. and the sense of self (i am ness), which is an aspect of having a comprehension of self, a perspective, orientation. the former dissolves though becoming seen through, through seeing through a new orientation of perspective is established, so the states of consciousness, that were maintained by the false self principle, become redundant for the core need of maintaining orientation. the latter more broad ego definition - 'self comprehension & orientation' grows during development, including more and more perspectives into it's repertoire. you start as your body (i am hungry), you identify with your family or tribe (i am american, or human), you identify with your internal possibilities (i am a sentient being), you identify with the such-ness of spirit (i am that i am), you identify with the fullness of the world of form (non-duality). each of these stages includes the aspects of all former stages. so, wether "ego" grows into infinity or "disappears" depends on the definition of the word.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Rejecting moronic, low-brow, lowest common denominator consumerism / entertainment is not about abandoning ego. It's just about developing taste. Which actually strengthens and solidifies the ego against external influence.

The dissolving of ego boundaries and the assertion that everything is connected and meaningful on a deep, spiritual level is symptomatic of schizophrenia/other organic brain malfunction.

Machines will never develop consciousness and aesthetic appreciation because they do not have emotions and will never be programmed with them. Nor would they ever "evolve" in an inorganic entity which has no need for the protections and sensibilities they afford.
The evolutionary pressures on organic vs inorganic life forms are very different and it is only logical that the paths they take in development will significantly diverge. All the sci-fi nonsense around "The Singularity" is spectacular anthropocentric folly.

It's nonsensical to talk about ego-transcendence in evolutionary terms anyway. It's completely meaningless since whether desirable / "advanced" or not (and that's up for debate) it's not mediated through the medium of DNA (nor could it ever be).

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
[MENTION=5143]Salomé[/MENTION]
Everything is connected and this is not a spiritual, meaningful or deep thing at all.

This spiritual schizophrenia that people end up with is a delusion which results from the impact of seeing something that has been there all along for all time and they never thought about it, but it is actually mundane and just how things are.

It's yet again the human perspective which causes this delusion and makes these things appear to be spiritual or deep, which are really only human constructs. In reality there is none of this.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Believe what you like, just don't pretend it's the Truth.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Believe what you like, just don't pretend it's the Truth.
What if it is the truth? If I describe to you what I mean, you'll say something like "Yeah, well that goes without saying" or "Yeah we can just take that for granted" or "Yeah that's a tautology."

And you'd be right. That's the thing. It does go without saying, it does get taken for granted, and it is tautological. In the end this stuff gets over complicated and worded about which moves further away from reality, not towards it.

At the end of Zen you find out that there is no Zen. Zen is a thought but Zen has no thoughts so upon completion the concept itself vanishes and becomes transparent.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What if it is the truth? If I describe to you what I mean, you'll say something like "Yeah, well that goes without saying" or "Yeah we can just take that for granted" or "Yeah that's a tautology."
Then don't.
The difficulty arises when people get hold of self-evident / scientific truths and inflate them into speculative, idiotic territories. I have no patience for that bullshit.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Then don't.
The difficulty arises when people get hold of self-evident / scientific truths and inflate them into speculative, idiotic territories. I have no patience for that bullshit.
Same thing different words. I'm not here to tell you what you know. This is something available to everyone and many don't notice it exactly for the reasons you describe.

This is why when I say "everything is connected" I don't go into much detail unless it is asked for because it is plain. But some can't see things that are plain.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But some can't see things that are plain.
Which is why they construct pointless strawman arguments to tell people that they aren't going to tell them what they already know, I suppose?

Since I already qualified my statement with the words "deep, spiritual level" (which is the level at which this thread purports to operate - since it's in the philosophy/spirituality forum) for you to wade in with your "rebuttal" is... yes tautological. :)

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Which is why they construct pointless strawman arguments to tell people that they aren't going to tell them what they already know, I suppose?

Since I already qualified my statement with the words "deep, spiritual level" (which is the level at which this thread purports to operate - since it's in the philosophy/spirituality forum) for you to wade in with your "rebuttal" is... yes tautological. :)

How do you know I didn't just agree with you? I've made no rebuttal.