• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Science + Spirituality in Harmony

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What do you think?

320302_519777651385025_334748777_n.jpg

To what extent is spirituality compatible with science? What do you think of the quotation on the photo?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's only possible under very specific circumstances imo

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
'Spiritual' and 'spirituality' are such muddled words I don't even know what people think they mean when they say them.

W

WALMART

They are compatible, in many cases deeply intertwined, with all this new-agey BS I subscribe to.

I feel if one finds each mutually exclusive they are not reaching the potential of their being, should there be any objective criteria for such a measure.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
To me spirituality is just working with your inner self - something which nearly everyone does even if they don't know it.

Actually a lot of times it is easier when you don't know it, or aren't aware of it, because when people are aware of their doings they tend to start wording about them, which potentially changes everything.

A lot of people might say that a song is not spiritual - and let them go on saying that, it's probably better that way - but it effects you internally no matter how much you don't know it. That's the nature of spiritual things and things in general. They don't go away if you refuse to acknowledge them. You've had it all along even if you denied it.

As for science, its obviously around. The two coexist no matter how you slice it or define things by wording about them.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Make the photo bigger. I can't even see it.

You have to click on it. And if you know how, please tell me. The fact that I don't is really annoying.

'Spiritual' and 'spirituality' are such muddled words I don't even know what people think they mean when they say them.

That's fair. I feel this way about right and wrong. Not that I don't know what they mean, but that the words can have so many meanings and connotations I feel like just throwing them out.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To me spirituality is just working with your inner self - something which nearly everyone does even if they don't know it.

Actually a lot of times it is easier when you don't know it, or aren't aware of it, because when people are aware of their doings they tend to start wording about them, which potentially changes everything.

A lot of people might say that a song is not spiritual - and let them go on saying that, it's probably better that way - but it effects you internally no matter how much you don't know it. That's the nature of spiritual things and things in general. They don't go away if you refuse to acknowledge them. You've had it all along even if you denied it.

As for science, its obviously around. The two coexist no matter how you slice it or define things by wording about them.

Interesting perspective! It's certainly true that spirituality is in regard to the spirit of a person. I think of it like connecting with the collective spirit of all things, made up of consciousness and life energy.

Of course there's much more to it than that. You have to connect on all the planes of existence: physical, mental, emotional, astral, and spiritual. That's what it means to be in harmony with reality. Science I think is completely compatible; I think it's a subset, because it gives us a picture of objective reality. Then we can spiritually connect with it.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Forget Inferior Fe, your Si is effed up.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Forget Inferior Fe, your Si is effed up.

Why?

That would make me ENXX I guess.

It is kind of effed up at times, but that's irrelevant.

Edit: Cool. I'd like to be ENFP. Can I?

Last edited:

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For me, they are the same. Science is a subset of spirituality.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is not for me.

I suppose spirituality picks up where science stops?

We have a limited grasp of the universe and it is unlikely we will ever come close to omnipotence. So there will always be questions, gaps to fill. If spirituality is a means to fill that gap, to me that is equal to blindsiding yourself. To me only two categories exist. Science and the currently unkown.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is not for me.

I suppose spirituality picks up where science stops?

We have a limited grasp of the universe and it is unlikely we will ever come close to omnipotence. So there will always be questions, gaps to fill. If spirituality is a means to fill that gap, to me that is equal to blindsiding yourself. To me only two categories exist. Science and the currently unkown.

This is certainly true from a rational perspective. But do you feel any sort of sense of spiritual joy when you know something beautiful about how the world works? Like looking at a picture of a nebula, or studying the golden spiral and the phi ratio, or thinking about biodiversity? The world is infinitely complex, and knowing truth about how everything works can be spiritual in my experience. I get high on life every day this way. :) That's my spirituality. But I can understand if you are not so easily moved, being the INTP poster boy. ;)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is certainly true from a rational perspective. But do you feel any sort of sense of spiritual joy when you know something beautiful about how the world works? Like looking at a picture of a nebula, or studying the golden spiral and the phi ratio, or thinking about biodiversity? The world is infinitely complex, and knowing truth about how everything works can be spiritual in my experience. I get high on life every day this way. :) That's my spirituality. But I can understand if you are not so easily moved, being the INTP poster boy. ;)

Not in the same sense no.

When I walk through nature, I see the trees growing, the paths forming, the insects swarming and enjoy the beauty of the entire eco-system as a whole. I don't look at an out of place flower and think "That is a beautiful flower.", instead I think "how wonderful that the seed that formed this flower managed to find it's way here.". Just the other day I found myself trekking the woods pondering in amazement about some of the plant and animal symbioses that are readily visible in the wild and the process of evolution that must have happened to reach that symbioses or how bacteria and virusses have adapted to their environment so intelligently that it simply amazes. (Ofcourse, it probably takes thousands, if not millions, of failed evolutionary steps before a life form adapts in such ways that baffles the mind, but the fact it happens is still baffling).

I see beauty in patterns and systems.

So no, it is not a spiritual thing at all.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not in the same sense no.

When I walk through nature, I see the trees growing, the paths forming, the insects swarming and enjoy the beauty of the entire eco-system as a whole. I don't look at an out of place flower and think "That is a beautiful flower.", instead I think "how wonderful that the seed that formed this flower managed to find it's way here.". Just the other day I found myself trekking the woods pondering in amazement about some of the plant and animal symbioses that are readily visible in the wild and the process of evolution that must have happened to reach that symbioses or how bacteria and virusses have adapted to their environment so intelligently that it simply amazes. (Ofcourse, it probably takes thousands, if not millions, of failed evolutionary steps before a life form adapts in such ways that baffles the mind, but the fact it happens is still baffling).

I see beauty in patterns and systems.

So no, it is not a spiritual thing at all.

Interesting. I kind of see everything as patterns and systems, and that definitely adds to the beauty; but it wouldn't have to be the case for things to be beautiful to me. I wonder how common it is for INTPs to be spiritual. I would think if they were they would be attracted to Eastern religions. That was said on some description. (That's the case with me, so no big hypothetical contradiction there.)

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Science is like a spotlight in the dark, it illuminates a portion of the universe. But, not everything can be illuminated science, there is no guarantee saying that all truths are uncoverable with scientific method.

Spirituality is about your relationship to the world. There is overlap between science and spirituality, but there is no reason that they should be in conflict. And if there is, just fudge it one way or the other. ;)