• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ask a Buddhist

W

WALMART

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"

-Siddhārtha Gautama Buddha

This thread is for thinking, and asking, and learning.

W

WALMART

I will go first: What scriptures do you find most relevant to modern Buddhism?

Truth be told, I have never read canonical scripture, merely speculation of scripture.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Life is suffering.

Only those who have let go of all attachments can avail themselves of suffering.

Those who have done so have found nirvana and are at peace and harmony with the natural world.

One can then truly meditate with complete clarity of vision centering himself with and harnessing the flow of the Universe.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

The middle way, baby.

What do you think of this film?

W

WALMART

Life is suffering.

Only those who have let go of all attachments can avail themselves of suffering.

Those who have done so have found nirvana and are at peace and harmony with the natural world.

One can then truly meditate with complete clarity of vision centering himself with and harnessing the flow of the Universe.

"Be not misled by proficiency in the collections, nor by mere logic or inference, nor after considering reasons, nor after reflection on and approval of some theory, nor because it fits becoming, nor out of respect for a recluse. But, Kālāmas, when you know for yourselves: These things are unprofitable, these things are blameworthy, these things are censured by the intelligent: these things, when performed and undertaken, conduce to loss and sorrow, -then indeed do ye reject them, Kālāmas...

"But if at any time ye know of yourselves: These things are profitable, they are blameless, they are praised by the intelligent: these things, when performed and undertaken, conduce to profit and happiness, -then, Kālāmas, do ye, having undertaken them, abide therein."

Yes, The Middle Way, the path to enlightenment. I'd ask you, RaptorWizard, do you feel Buddha wishes the practitioner in absolving from obtaining possessions?

W

WALMART

[MENTION=15790]ilikeitlikethat[/MENTION]

A fine representation of the story. I particularly like the allusion to the string.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
If I am to avoid attachment, doesn't that mean that I avoid friendship, camaraderie, love? Isn't attachment what binds people, even if it is temporary?

Isn't karma a way to blame the victim?

W

WALMART

I know you didn't ask me but I'd say the answer is yes.

If I am to avoid attachment, doesn't that mean that I avoid friendship, camaraderie, love? Isn't attachment what binds people, even if it is temporary?

Isn't karma a way to blame the victim?

I used to think not developing attachment meant the things you both are stating. Recently though, I've kind of come to a new understanding, with that quote I directed at Raptorwizard (which I had just read upon creating this thread, btw, my 'inspiration' of sorts).

It states that when you know something to be good, accept it. When you know something to be bad, reject it.

I think developing non-attachment to universe stems more towards you being yourself independently than anything. To have friends - but know they are not you and they cannot be thought so, to have possessions but know you are not defined by them, to hold ideals but not let them cloud your judgement... stuff like that. Accepting reality for what it is apart from what you want it to be.

Kayness

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to think not developing attachment meant the things you both are stating. Recently though, I've kind of come to a new understanding, with that quote I directed at Raptorwizard (which I had just read upon creating this thread, btw, my 'inspiration' of sorts).

It states that when you know something to be good, accept it. When you know something to be bad, reject it.

I think developing non-attachment to universe stems more towards you being yourself independently than anything. To have friends - but know they are not you and they cannot be thought so, to have possessions but know you are not defined by them, to hold ideals but not let them cloud your judgement... stuff like that. Accepting reality for what it is apart from what you want it to be.

But to stand alone in front of the vastness of existence, without anything outside of ourselves to hold on to, isn't it rather scary?

btw which branch of Buddhism do you subscribe to?

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Lack of attachment is not always a separation.

Do you have to throw away everything and go live on a mountain?

The answer to that, IMO, is "not really"

If you throw away everything and go live on a mountain, and you do it for the wrong reasons, that can still be attachment.

W

WALMART

@ sprinkles yes, well put. thank you.

But to stand alone in front of the vastness of existence, without anything outside of ourselves to hold on to, isn't it rather scary?

btw which branch of Buddhism do you subscribe to?

I find leaning against unsound railing to be equally scary =P

I'd be lying if I said I wish to stand alone forever. One thing I can find myself willingly giving myself to is my partner, and then my children.

I've read of several branches, but I don't think I'm well versed enough in them to quite 'decide'.... I'm not really knowledgeable of Buddhism, I made this thread for me to learn as much as anyone. The book I'm reading (George Braziller, chronicaler of all the world religions) will eventually get that, but for now it's mostly dealing with the history and core ideology and stuff.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Question 1: Please describe to me the process of reaching Nirvana.

Question 2: I heard that there are Buddhist forms of hell, but they only are temporary and you only go to it for a temporary period of time, unlike the Christian Hell. Please describe to me how this works.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What are your feelings on Taoism?

W

WALMART

Question 1: Please describe to me the process of reaching Nirvana.

Question 2: I heard that there are Buddhist forms of hell, but they only are temporary and you only go to it for a temporary period of time, unlike the Christian Hell. Please describe to me how this works.

Question 1:

There is no one manner, some are even convinced one can reach Nirvana under their own personal discourse,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_Paths_to_liberation

But I am most fond of the four noble truths:

1) "This is the noble truth of dukkha: birth is dukkha, aging is dukkha, illness is dukkha, death is dukkha; sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair are dukkha; union with what is displeasing is dukkha; separation from what is pleasing is dukkha; not to get what one wants is dukkha; in brief, the five aggregates subject to clinging are dukkha."
2) "This is the noble truth of the origin of dukkha: it is this craving which leads to renewed existence, accompanied by delight and lust, seeking delight here and there, that is, craving for sensual pleasures, craving for existence, craving for extermination."
3) "This is the noble truth of the cessation of dukkha: it is the remainderless fading away and cessation of that same craving, the giving up and relinquishing of it, freedom from it, nonreliance on it."
4) "This is the noble truth of the way leading to the cessation of dukkha: it is the Noble Eightfold Path; that is, right view, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness and right concentration."

Which leads to the eightfold path:

1) Right View
2) Right Intention
3) Right Speech
4) Right Action
5) Right Livelihood
6) Right Effort
7) Right Mindfulness
8) Right Concentration

It is a path of procedural advancement, starting at the mind, leading to the body, ending at Nirvana.

220px-Dharma_Wheel.svg.png

Question 2:

This is an area of study I have not ventured to beyond dabble. I believe I will find it metaphorical when I do get around to it, though.

I do know they are areas of lower stature beings using their karmic energy in a constructive manner, so can they can be birthed into neutrality again. Like Dante's Circles of Hell, there are varying degrees of Naraka, some where you are simply out in the cold naked and some where you are entombed in a block of heated metal. I do not know why and for what reasons you go to where.