• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can we trust our belief system? Where do our belief system?

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Can we trust our belief system? What is your belief system? Where do our belief systems originate? What has the highest impact in determining our belief system? How can we change our belief system? Is it even possible? Why it is different people have such diverse value systems? Do you think religious people are kinder, and gentler an individual? Do religious people commit less crime than other segments of the population?

Quote:
"A Belief is no merely an idea the mind possesses it is an idea that possesses the mind." Robert Oxton Bolton

Quote:
"Your mind is right now filled with old thoughts not only old thoughts, but mostly someone else’s old thoughts. It’s important now—it’s time now—to change your mind about some things. This is what evolution is all about." Conversations with God™

“We all have within our root system a bunch of convoluted fantasies or beliefs of that which is called reality. We have a belief system riddled with at most half-truths. We need to undertake a journey called self-discovery is assessing these fallacies and be willing to change, thus to grow. He / she who are rooted in the past beliefs are a hindrance with social progress. I don't think we have a choice in the matter concerning having beliefs or trusting our reason. We can try reading different interpretations of history, current events, observing others, and other cultures.

There are patterns out there to be discovered and discussed. I think when we become overly emotionally invested in logical constructs in our mind that makes sense to us at the time we need to continue searching. I think it is a refining process as new information is learned that maybe confusing and alien but it is necessary to try to understand the appeal of it. The ultimate problem is that we are born in a culture and are designed to adopt it and identify with it. People need to be loyal to their tribe for the sake of harmony.

There are multiple interpretations of history and society. There are multiple individual experiences that influence how we grow or whither. We come up with our own personal philosophies incorporating a mishmash of knowledge. Then this is filtered through our programming: Survival, greed, winning, losing, respect, admiration, lust, good, bad, control, loyalty, friendship, leadership, obeying, pleasure, bravery, shyness, freedom, hate, deception, entitlement, jealously, sadness, guilt, anger, infatuation, love, fear, indifference, paranoia, altruism, loneliness, and hope.

Reasoning can be erroneous but I bet we can look at the person's psychology to find the motivation to some of the human mental attributes I listed above. There are people who reason war with altruism. Tell people that they are under attack and they use fear and paranoia based reasoning. Indoctrination into dogma comes from multiple sources. Dogma conceivably can occur in a family's system of beliefs as well mores. It also comes from another from another direction like patriotism and religious beliefs, all of this before the person possesses or can be taught critical thinking.

One needs be open to discuss anything. Without challenge to one’s belief system there is no growth. If at least one is of the party is open, that person can learn from the experience. Bottom line each person will have their opinion. Their opinion is not likely to change until one has more life experiences and insights, as well as feedback from those who they respect." LightSun

Lark

I can trust my belief system, it is very old, has stood the test of time very well and corresponds to human nature in a more perrenial sense than any phase of human history or epoch or era.

W

WALMART

Holding belief constrains thought. Beliefs rarely hold true across a spectrum, and stagnate truer expression.

Sigh, I feel I've boiled down into some silly ideology of silly ideas.

tomas

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
?
I'd heard it takes 21 days to form a new habit, does that help at all. Sure there are other ways

There can be so much pressure from everywhere, but eventually you give in and learn to trust your own feelings

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i dont have a belief system, i have theories about what to believe. having a rigid belief system(especially if formed if very old) means that you are perceiving the world through this lens of belief, comparing what happens to these beliefs and deciding whether to believe new things or not, based on old beliefs. this just creates an bias towards the world around you, pushing you away from reality, because you need to rationalize( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationalization_(making_excuses) ) things that doesent fit to your old belief system if they go against it, especially if the belief system is old and you have rationalized it enough, created more and more bias to everything you see and think since you were 3 years old.

i trust my theories as long as there isnt other more plausible one that goes against it and i seek to expand my theories all the time.