• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Woman and man's highest calling- Cherokee proverb

Mole

Permabanned
While the original quote is sweet init's own way it's too loaded with gender identity to be relevant to me. Men our souless without women and women are in constant fear of their safety...? I'm sure in the context of it's day it would have been a perfectly apt quote.

I prefer to think of people as just people. Souls don't have genders only physical bodies do. We express that which is important to our souls regardless of what form our bodies have taken. I choose other souls that I feel connected to. I find it difficult to align myself with any form of spirituality that divides the universe into so-called masculine and feminine energies\roles\genders etc. I believe strongly in an androgynous universe.

Yes, if the universe were divided into masculine and femine energies, we would have masculine mathematics and feminine mathematics, masculine physics and feminine phyics, and masculine biology and feminine biology.

And if the universe were divided by national energies, we would have Chinese mathematics and New Zealand mathematics, Botswana physics and Peruvian physics, and Australian biology and American biology.

But we don't.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, if the universe were divided into masculine and femine energies, we would have masculine mathematics and feminine mathematics, masculine physics and feminine phyics, and masculine biology and feminine biology.

And if the universe were divided by national energies, we would have Chinese mathematics and New Zealand mathematics, Botswana physics and Peruvian physics, and Australian biology and American biology.

But we don't.

You could think of it this way too.
Masculine mathematics is this:
03_goldenmeans_01_rectangle.jpg
And feminine mathematics is this:
goldenSpiral.gif
Put them together and you have this:
goldenSpiralBoxes.gif

The feminine and masculine are complimentary and are contained within each other. Objective reality and subjective are two sides of the same whole.

It wouldn't make sense to divide the universe into nationalities, since those patterns aren't reproduced in everything like yin and yang are.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The strong are meant to rule. The weak are meant to serve. This man serves woman philosophy [MENTION=15773]greenfairy[/MENTION] has created is counter to the very nature of justice, justice being the advantage of the stronger.
DARTH_REVAN_by_Unclesatan.png

Those who use the dark side are also bound to serve it. To understand this is to understand the underlying philosophy of the Sith.
Darth Revan
Be who you are meant to be as you rise in stregnth towards victory, breaking the chains of bondage towards liberation through the power of the Force!

:wacko: Huh?

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The idea that all NTs are atheistic robots has surely got old by now.

It's ironic how people attack gender differences while holding onto the pathetic typological stereotypes, as if a T type is incapable of feeling, S types incapable of deciphering patterns, etc. "Binary thinking is horrible, but I insist on using it all the time!"

Lark

It's ironic how people attack gender differences while holding onto the pathetic typological stereotypes, as if a T type is incapable of feeling, S types incapable of deciphering patterns, etc. "Binary thinking is horrible, but I insist on using it all the time!"

Although just as gender differences are legitimate to a point so are typological definitions.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Although just as gender differences are legitimate to a point so are typological definitions.

Yes. They are. But functional preferences are just that - preferences. And the types each contain four functions, not two, and that's not even considering the shadow type.

Lark

Yes. They are. But functional preferences are just that - preferences. And the types each contain four functions, not two, and that's not even considering the shadow type.

I think describing it as a preference is a little light, I can say that the categories I am identified with suit me and I use without much thought, when I have to use the opposite cognitive sets its uncomfortable to down right deleterious personally. Although I think I know what you mean, both Jung and Freud believed that the feminine and masculine existed in the one psyche too, although I personally believe that Jung described this better than Freud in his theory of archetypes and corresponding archetypes in others.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think describing it as a preference is a little light, I can say that the categories I am identified with suit me and I use without much thought, when I have to use the opposite cognitive sets its uncomfortable to down right deleterious personally. Although I think I know what you mean, both Jung and Freud believed that the feminine and masculine existed in the one psyche too, although I personally believe that Jung described this better than Freud in his theory of archetypes and corresponding archetypes in others.

I think the inferior and tertiary come out pretty often in many people, actually. It's just that it's unconscious and filtered through the higher-level functions. I never consciously use Fi, for example, but I have a strong set of values that governs everything I do. I imagine it's similar for others.

Lark

I think the inferior and tertiary come out pretty often in many people, actually. It's just that it's unconscious and filtered through the higher-level functions. I never consciously use Fi, for example, but I have a strong set of values that governs everything I do. I imagine it's similar for others.

I'm not sure what is meant by tertiary, the third function just? Like Feeling contra Thinking? I do think that the inferior or "disowned" functions can assert themselves like the ghost at the feast sometimes, often when people are pressurised or stressed and since they are "disowned" it can be disasterous, although while I know what its like to be a thinker overwhelmed with unwelcome feelings sometimes I dont really know or hear of anyone who is a feeler overwhelmed with unwelcome thinking, if you know what I mean. So my theorising could be wrong.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not sure what is meant by tertiary, the third function just?

1st function: dominant
2nd function: auxiliary
3rd function: tertiary
4th function: inferior

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So you mean it would be possible to be a JTNE or something like that?

Not exactly. I'm saying that pretty much all ENTJs (for example) use all functions, including Se and Fi. Lower level functions just tend to be less controlled, used more clumsily, and less directly. INTJs, for instance, are known for becoming obsessive about unimportant external "Se" details, and then the next minute not paying any attention to them at all. We use Se very clumsily and poorly, but are constantly affected by it. It's the same for every type. The goal is to become more aware of your entire self and control it, not to repress it.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You know what's funny? I started this gods forsaken thread, and I haven't been reading it for like the last 10 pages.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You know what's funny? I started this gods forsaken thread, and I haven't been reading it for like the last 10 pages.

You can view it like your own little "zombie thread" that staggers around and chases after people to eat their brains, even long after its own death. :smile:

:( (social disharmony)

Actually, there is beauty and symmetry in the response, which was appropriate to the comment triggering it.

"Case and effect, my love. Cause... and effect." -- Persephone, "The Matrix Reloaded"

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Edit: Actually I was wrong, it was more like 2 pages. No matter, felt like 10.

You can view it like your own little "zombie thread" that staggers around and chases after people to eat their brains, even long after its own death. :smile:
Haha yeah.

Actually, there is beauty and symmetry in the response, which was appropriate to the comment triggering it.

"Case and effect, my love. Cause... and effect." -- Persephone, "The Matrix Reloaded"

Very true.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just want to summarize the responses so far:

Lovely, romantic
Might have worked in a particular kind of culture, but not in this one
Still relevant, but in a non-literal way
Some people like to think this way but not others
Spiritual significance
Discussion about interpretation and intended meaning
The way it's worded is poor for application to modern culture
Wording tends to suggest to modern readers an emphasis on gender binary
Discussion on gender binary
Whether gender differences are true and if so to what extent, and with what meaning
Thinkers not relating because it seems too feeling
Argument about the poster's type
Argument about reality and how we know things are true- metaphysics

All of these opinions are valid, and definitely related. I intended for these sorts of things to be discussed (I had just hoped a bit more harmoniously). Good thoughts, people.

I personally have no attachment to any opinion, other than being a Taoist and a pagan.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I personally have no attachment to any opinion, other than being a Taoist and a pagan.

My religion is Egyptian Neoplatonism and Hermeticism! I know they have similar wizard like beliefs though my religion is western.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Man's highest calling is to overthrow God almighty!
Woman's highest calling is the royal kitchen.
Dang doesn't that sound so evil?