• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Woman and man's highest calling- Cherokee proverb

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
What's your biological gender?

I am a female. But does it really matter? Especially when we're holding up logic and, you know, not being dichotomist and all that?

I mean what is gender, really? Some people aren't exactly either one!

rav3n

I am a female. But does it really matter? Especially when we're holding up logic and, you know, not being dichotomist and all that?

I mean what is gender, really? Some people aren't exactly either one!
Well no wonder you're so adamant about it since as an NF female, you probably do need the protection of men. For your own good. ;)

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Yes, yes, so this proverb can be mined for meaning if you strip away all of the literal elements that make it unique from any of the other funny little bits of "wisdom" we always hear. "Protect the ones you love" and such. Why do it, though?

G

Ginkgo

Yes, yes, so this proverb can be mined for meaning if you strip away all of the literal elements that make it unique from any of the other funny little bits of "wisdom" we always hear. "Protect the ones you love" and such. Why do it, though?

So your ass is covered by another.

Spooning ftw.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
So your ass is covered by another.

Spooning ftw.

20120316-214616.jpg

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ

That's how proverbs work. "Many hands make light work" doesn't mean that you go and hire an octopus (they don't have hands anyway) and "Too many cooks spoil the broth" doesn't mean 'get out of my kitchen!'

Conventional wisdom is not to be taken too literally. Otherwise we'd be in deep shit when a masochist who loves pain hears the phrase "Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you."

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
That's how proverbs work. "Many hands make light work" doesn't mean that you go and hire an octopus (they don't have hands anyway) and "Too many cooks spoil the broth" doesn't mean 'get out of my kitchen!'

Conventional wisdom is not to be taken too literally. Otherwise we'd be in deep shit when a masochist who loves pain hears the phrase "Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you."

And that's why they're about as useful as a asshole on your elbow.

redpieceocrap.jpg

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I'm sure that would be good for something.

You're right, it'd probably be more useful than a particular proverb that fails in both the usefulness/truth and beauty categories.

It's of equivalent value to "it is what it is."

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
You're right, it'd probably be more useful than a particular proverb that fails in both the usefulness/truth and beauty categories.

It's of equivalent value to "it is what it is."

Wow. That's pretty cold. That's like, frickin Spartan cold, man.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The problem is that "yin and yang" is still assuming very distinct "feminine" and "masculine" people. But there can certainly be 2 people in a relationship who are both "feminine" (of any sex) or "masculine", or people who don't really identify with either sort of "energy" (*hand raised*, barf), or people who are both "masculine" in some areas and "feminine" in other areas (or times of life, or situations, or etc).

Once you accept that truth, then talking about "Yin person should do this and Yang person should do that" is pretty silly. Why do we need to separate people into arbitrary categories instead of saying "everyone should support, protect and inspire their partner as needed"?

Well no we don't have to separate people into polarities, things just work best in balance. And if one person is extreme in one area, it's usually best for their partner to balance them out. Usually.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I read your WOT. Apologism for a lot of fluffy nonsense in order to validate the gender construct.

I hardly think it's fluffy nonsense. I'm basically saying people work best in balance. Is that concept fluffy or nonsensical? If you want to reject all nice sounding notions of human relationships, you might as well throw out half of philosophy and all of spirituality. Which maybe you want to do as an NT, but most of the population doesn't work that way. And you're not really providing any counter argumentation. Disqualifying an entire set of paragraphs with "nonsense" isn't very logical.

Glad that way of thinking works for you. I asked for opinions and now I know how some people think. A bit sad really.