• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

do things happen for a reason?

S

Society

Speaking from a it-doesn't-matter-what-sort-of-theory-you-believe perspective, there is an enzyme the chicken produces that makes the actual egg shell and allows the egg shell to harden and protect the life inside.. so whatever evolved/got created into what will be known as the common chicken, it is required that it exists in order to produce an actual egg.

/completely off topic rant

but it doesn't need a shell to be considered an egg, every female has eggs, presumably you too (reminder to self: ask @phobik to make sure). what came first, kyuuei or the egg she was conceived from?

/reinforces off topic rant

G

Ginkgo

“Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
but it doesn't need a shell to be considered an egg, every female has eggs, presumably you too (reminder to self: ask @phobik to make sure). what came first, kyuuei or the egg she was conceived from?

/reinforces off topic rant

But the chicken egg we all know and love today would also not be the same without that enzyme. Theoretically, from an evolutionary standpoint, developing an egg outside of the body vs inside is a trait that probably developed in animals as they reproduced over time.. so surely evolutionary believers would agree that the chicken should have come first.

Technically, the egg came first since the concept of a cell being fertilized developed long before multi-celled animals like chickens... but the actual chicken egg, in its modern form and glory, had to come from a chicken that evolved from something that started to lay its eggs rather than keep them inside.

W

WALMART

For the record, it was the chicken.

The protein that hardens an egg has been shown to develop in nature at two separate intervals of evolution both before and after the genus of chicken.

Given my stance on aliens and the eternally persisting universe, I would say the nature of the answer is recursive.

My Earth-bound answer: the egg.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I think its foolish to believe that logic is the only thing that binds my universe together.

S

Society

Technically, the egg came first since the concept of a cell being fertilized developed long before multi-celled animals like chickens...
thats what i was going for

but the actual chicken egg, in its modern form and glory, had to come from a chicken that evolved from something that started to lay its eggs rather than keep them inside.

fish lay eggs too.. egg laying in general is quite ancient. but yes, i suppose if we go by the shell, the first animal to have had that enzyme couldn't have being born from a mother who had it.

so the egg came first, then the chicken, then the shell.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
so the egg came first, then the chicken, then the shell.

According to paleontolgy and philogenetics, I'd rather say it in that order:

So the egg came first, then the shell, then the chicken.

But of course, I know that you are refering to the biological process.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Baruch Spinoza said: "I call him free who is led solely by reason"

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sure they do. We just don't always like the reasons why and are prone to inventing our own explanations...

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
“Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
I've heard this, but I actually wonder if it is more our subconscious mind making choices and arranging aspects of our lives to bring something about. Our decision making process is not purely conscious, and there are many subtle actions that can place us on course towards different results.

I'm still resistant to the cosmic fate style thinking. There is always a cause-and-effect, and our perception is limited, but that is about as far as I embrace the idea.

Hecuba

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
I believe in fate in concerns to certain turn of events, but it is up to us how we take them and what we do with them.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, I do believe in fate and luck. I feel like some things are out of our control and sort of random, and other things, we have a bit more control over. Regardless of control, everything happens for a reason.

S

Society

According to paleontolgy and philogenetics, I'd rather say it in that order:

So the egg came first, then the shell, then the chicken.

But of course, I know that you are refering to the biological process.

huh? you have single celled organisms that have shells? can you link me in? i'm fascinated by this crap (can read it for hours).

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, I do believe in fate and luck. I feel like some things are out of our control and sort of random, and other things, we have a bit more control over. Regardless of control, everything happens for a reason.

What reason do things happen for?

Little_Sticks

I would consider myself logical. I would like to state that irrationality is not commonplace in my worldview.

However, especially the older I am becoming, I cannot shake the feeling that things are happening for a reason.

My logical self states I am forming connections only where reality substantiates thought, but I cannot help but feel something metaphysical is at play. Coincidences too firm to be mere chance... or is Ne playing a dirty trick on me?

How do you feel about fate?

A man builds a house. Did his atomic makeup cause the house to be built or was it because he was motivated to built it? I suppose one could argue it either way with enough supporting evidence.

Perhaps the man inherited a lot of money and with that money was inspired to construct his dream house. That's one way to reason it.
Or perhaps the man simply got a nice chemical reaction in his brain from it and wanted to continue. That's another valid way to reason it.

Both arguments however apply different valid reasons for the house being built and yet can be thought of as either mutually exclusive or mutually inclusive, depending on whether you accept both arguments or not. Then "do things happen for a reason?" They can and do, if you reason everything. It doesn't somehow mean that because you can reason everything that you have some all-pervasive truth about the world. As per Ginkgo's quote, everything would happen for a reason because one decided it did and looked only for how it would...

S

SingSmileShine

I have always thought that things happen for a reason. I believe that coincidences do not exist. :D

Standuble

I do not think things are happening for a reason - the closest I would come to such a position is the assertion that mental activity is effecting the universe at a quantum level. Likewise there is no "what goes around comes around" in my worldview either.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hermes realized that the sight which he beheld was revealed to him only because Poimandres had spoken a Word. The Word was Reason, and by the Reason of the Word invisible things were made manifest. Divine Mind--the Dragon!