• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

it depresses me that people believe this, but they do.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
so today, i had some family members come over because they wanted to have a talk with me about god. i did not want to hear about but i humored them and sat through the video below, to listen an to see what they wanted to show me. i spent a great portion of my time, hearing them and watching this video, biting down and trying not to say anything. when ever i questioned this persons faith, they raised their hand in the air and said "praise god", ""praise jesus"
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbFgPCnT-Ho"]:([/YOUTUBE]

typology central,

is this spirituality? or is this insanity?

93JC

Didn't watch the vid but if it involves religion I'm inclined to say it's crazy.

dala

MBTI Type
intp
Some people invest a lot of themselves into their faith. They have a lot to lose if it were gone, and so they do everything they can to solidify their beliefs, whether it is convincing themselves that faith healing exists or prosthetising to people who are uninterested. It's not really insanity, but it is unhealthy.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Some people invest a lot of themselves into their faith. They have a lot to lose if it were gone, and so they do everything they can to solidify their beliefs, whether it is convincing themselves that faith healing exists or prosthetising to people who are uninterested. It's not really insanity, but it is unhealthy.

That is very condescending. Perhaps they have faith because they know something you don't. ;)

Lark

Didn't watch the vid but if it involves religion I'm inclined to say it's crazy.

This is a little closed minded. I'm betting that you're still in the first half or quarter of life.

93JC

This is a little closed minded. I'm betting that you're still in the first half or quarter of life.

This is a little naïve. I'm betting that you're still in the first half or quarter of life.

Lark

In answer to the thread OP, it no longer depresses me but all sorts of evangelism troubled me when I was younger, between the ages of seventeen and probably thirty I considered it to be anything between a simple nuisance and full scale brain washing.

I dont see it this way anymore, although I dont think I'd enjoy the experience you describe and I'm really glad that there is no RCC equivalent of this kind of behaviour. Not really. It could easily seem like sectarianism but I really do think that this kind of thing is borne of the long lasting and still with us confusion unleashed by the reformation.

KDude

I already knew from the start this was about charismatic/pentecostal types. Is it insanity? In my experience, probably. It doesn't represent "faith" in general though. It's best to judge it on it's own. There are many religions, even in Christianity, that it's not even funny. Charismatics are an easy target though, because they emphasize a lot of sensational miraculous stuff (more than the typical Jesus is in my Tortilla Catholicism). The hallmark of a charmismatic is that just about anything can be done by faith. Healing, prosperity, etc.. They also emphasize a lot of similar practices like you'd see from a gypsy psychic. Charismatics still have "prophets", who strain real hard, and then can give you the message of God and chart your lifepath. Some are very high profile - Pat Robertson is one of them. Each show he has a "prophecy" session, where he reaches out to some viewers through the tube. Last but not least, there's the tongue speaking. Not sure what to make of it. I met a guy once who said he spoke in tongues of "infants". He spoke "baby talk". He said he had a friend who clucked like a chicken. I couldn't totally discount that a god would have a message for babies and chickens, but it seems pretty unnecessary.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
This really happened to you? I would've died laughing.

Lark

This is a little naïve. I'm betting that you're still in the first half or quarter of life.

I'm sorry you got upset and had to respond like this. It would be a better idea to give some thought to what I posted instead. Its based upon Jung's book Modern Man in Search of his Soul.

Lark

Nice try, Lark. :strawman:

I'm sorry I dont understand what you mean. I can understand that you find religion alienating, that's fine but the reality is that humankind has a religious imagination and for most of its history religion was the greater part of humankind's life, therefore there are many legacies and cultural, historical etc. Cutting yourself off from all that is only going to make you miserable.

G

garbage

Yeah, people are pretty dumb. Not religious folk per se, but these people.

"God saved an entire bus full of people! And also made someone lose weight!"

Of all of the trivial shit

Maybe God gave them tapeworms or something

This really happened to you? I would've died laughing.
I would have either laughed, or I would have
tumblr_lc9ge9dK1R1qzado8o1_500.gif

KDude

I don't think the "legacy of humanity" is the best argument to promote religion (and judge an individual's happiness, no less). Seems like a Fi argument, if we were to get MBTI-ish about it.

Lark

I don't think the "legacy of humanity" is the best argument to promote religion (and judge an individual's happiness, no less). Seems like a Fi argument, if we were to get MBTI-ish about it.

There's a prominant UK humanist and atheist, former anglican, who has tried to build bridges between humanists and religious by paying the proper tribute to tradition, its not a reflection of feeling function, I find A LOT of the rejection of religion is stoked by feelings. Bad feelings. And the savage repression of pretty normal and natural spiritual feelings.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I won't believe it till I see a woman instantly lose 200 lbs of fat and shrivel up like a prune. She just looked like she was wearing dress pants four sizes up.

KDude

There's a prominant UK humanist and atheist, former anglican, who has tried to build bridges between humanists and religious by paying the proper tribute to tradition, its not a reflection of feeling function, I find A LOT of the rejection of religion is stoked by feelings. Bad feelings. And the savage repression of pretty normal and natural spiritual feelings.

I wouldn't doubt there's a lot of feelings involved (I see a lot of bitter criticism against religion too). That isn't always the case though. Some people don't have any strong emotional connection or upbringing in it, and still think it's dumb on principle. For religion to gain respect from some of these people, it simply has to make some sense. The burden isn't on them, but religion. Appealing to some kind of global "human experience" isn't going to work. I say it might work for Fi types, because they often do think of humanity in abstract terms like that. They're not Fe, but I think this is how Fi becomes empathetic to the "other". The sense of humanity. It's not going to work for everyone.

Lark

I wouldn't doubt there's a lot of feelings involved (I see a lot of bitter criticism against religion too). That isn't always the case though. Some people don't have any strong emotional connection or upbringing in it, and still think it's dumb on principle. For religion to gain respect from some of these people, it simply has to make some sense. The burden isn't on them, but religion. Appealing to some kind of global "human experience" isn't going to work. I say it might work for Fi types, because they often do think of humanity in abstract terms like that. They're not Fe, but I think this is how Fi becomes empathetic to the "other". The sense of humanity. It's not going to work for everyone.

Human beings do develop the same, regardless of diversity and unique traits like those obviously associated with ethnicity and language, there are universal traits which underpin human endevour and performance, the greater part of which includes, and for a long time was exclusively, religious. To just decide that you're going to dump that or go without is, to me, pretty stupid and likely to only result in, when sufficient time has past, a swing back, probably further, in the other direction.

Its not feelings based, I think there's a perfectly rational, thinking basis to that, it was rational to begin with even if you think there has been a divorce between religion and reason, as a lot of exclusive and exclusionary rationalist people maintain. As long as they can.