• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why There Is A Priori Knowledge

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A priori knowledge seems to follow rigid rules of cause and effect in a straight line of reasoning, as it will take us from point A to B to C, although the imaginative powers of the mind can take us anywhere, so do not limit yourself to the laws of a priori knowledge!

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A priori knowledge seems to follow rigid rules of cause and effect in a straight line of reasoning, as it will take us from point A to B to C, although the imaginative powers of the mind can take us anywhere, so do not limit yourself to the laws of a priori knowledge!

It's not detracting from imagination. In fact, much of this would involve imagining things that aren't immediately present to the mind. But it's a non-arbitrary, directed process of imagining.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
For example if I consider myself, I am innately there, no matter what I am or whether this is a dream or a lie of perception..somehow, somewhere; I exist.

Whereas if I look at my screen and see Mal...well he may as well be a construct, built for the purpose of informing me about idea's which I knew of, but did not have terms for, thus if I close my eyes and my perception he vanishes in a puff of logic* > *which is also a priori.

Ok ok im taking extreme liberties with the terms for the purpose of a bad joke. But while that is an interesting article, it seems to me the author spent an inordinate amount of words to make a simple point.

How INTP of him :D.

On the other hand it makes...well a big bucket of sense. Hopefully I understood it correctly that he/she was trying to point out the differences between 'things' which are or can be considered to BE and those which exist as a framework or system through which we might try to understand 'things' or which we build for ourselves but which are not true in the sense of the first because they are not literal, instead they are conceptual and their realities are evidenced only by individual or group perception which agreees on them to be true. Without which they could be said to not exist at all.

It's merely a question of perceptional notions and truth. Actually id say almost everything in human perception is priori. I especially liked his point on ethical morality and mathematics.

In fact the example of mathematics as a priori is actually part of a semi-famous scene in the book 1984, in which Winston is tortured mercilessly until he writes 2+2=5. Because the truths we so often take to be inherent are not and never have been, they are as fragile as our mental agreement allows them to be and once you tip the scales on that agreement it can change the entire system of perception.

The amusing part for me is, as always, is that I believe I do understand the concepts since it relates to something ive been talking about for a while, but I always display my thoughts innaccurately through words, either written or spoken.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For example if I consider myself, I am innately there, no matter what I am or whether this is a dream or a lie of perception..somehow, somewhere; I exist.

Whereas if I look at my screen and see Mal...well he may as well be a construct, built for the purpose of informing me about idea's which I knew of, but did not have terms for, thus if I close my eyes and my perception he vanishes in a puff of logic* > *which is also a priori.

Ok ok im taking extreme liberties with the terms for the purpose of a bad joke. But while that is an interesting article, it seems to me the author spent an inordinate amount of words to make a simple point.

How INTP of him :D.

That's Owl for ya. I should find more of his INTP material for you to enjoy. And frankly, his own students don't care much for his style of presentation. But his points are compelling.

On the other hand it makes...well a big bucket of sense. Hopefully I understood it correctly that he/she was trying to point out the differences between 'things' which are or can be considered to BE and those which exist as a framework or system through which we might try to understand 'things' or which we build for ourselves but which are not true in the sense of the first because they are not literal, instead they are conceptual and their realities are evidenced only by individual or group perception which agreees on them to be true. Without which they could be said to not exist at all.

It's merely a question of perceptional notions and truth. Actually id say almost everything in human perception is priori. I especially liked his point on ethical morality and mathematics.

In fact the example of mathematics as a priori is actually part of a semi-famous scene in the book 1984, in which Winston is tortured mercilessly until he writes 2+2=5. Because the truths we so often take to be inherent are not and never have been, they are as fragile as our mental agreement allows them to be and once you tip the scales on that agreement it can change the entire system of perception.

Owl says that 2 + 2 <> 4 in all empirical cases. It works for simple objects but not for certain chemicals. As old man Piekoff himself says, "ii) 2 qts. of water mixed with 2 qts. of ethyl alcohol yield 3.86 qts. of liquid, at 15.56°C." His VERY OWN WORDS damn him.

And yet we still believe 2 +2 = 4 to be true, because our justification is a priori and not observational.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
That's Owl for ya. I should find more of his INTP material for you to enjoy. And frankly, his own students don't care much for his style of presentation. But his points are compelling.

Oh I do agree, I found it very interesting.

Owl says that 2 + 2 <> 4 in all empirical cases. It works for simple objects but not for certain chemicals. As old man Piekoff himself says, "ii) 2 qts. of water mixed with 2 qts. of ethyl alcohol yield 3.86 qts. of liquid, at 15.56°C." His VERY OWN WORDS damn him.

And yet we still believe 2 +2 = 4 to be true, because our justification is a priori and not observational.

Yeah.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh I do agree, I found it very interesting.

Yeah.

Yeah. Well, it's not of utmost importance to you because Owl wasn't addressing you. He's addressing Objectivists who believe Rand's and Piekoff's cockamamie blathering and hold it as gospel.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Yeah. Well, it's not of utmost importance to you because Owl wasn't addressing you. He's addressing Objectivists who believe Rand's and Piekoff's cockamamie blathering and hold it as gospel.

lol yes! I did get that.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The problem is the world cannot be divided into "outer" perceptive/experiential knowledge and "inner" a priori information anymore. The source of any information is both a perceiver and observable simultaneously. We mostly keep such concepts as a tribute to our ancestral past. Or rather the cultures that generated those ideas do. They're not very compelling anymore in a world in which the questions they were designed to answer can be answered more fully with more direct methods.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The problem is the world cannot be divided into "outer" perceptive/experiential knowledge and "inner" a priori information anymore. The source of any information is both a perceiver and observable simultaneously. We mostly keep such concepts as a tribute to our ancestral past. Or rather the cultures that generated those ideas do. They're not very compelling anymore in a world in which the questions they were designed to answer can be answered more fully with more direct methods.

The problem here isn't outer versus inner, but knowledge versus justification.

David Hume proved that justification cannot be external. His error was concluding that empirical certainty is therefore impossible.

Applied to this case, you're saying that justification is both external and internal. I realize that you didn't mention that, only "knowledge" and "information." But what if justification is desirable, and what if it has to be either internal or external and not both?

You're right in that knowledge and information are necessary epistemic conditions of certainty. But they are not sufficient. With only external information, your internal knowedge is reduced to uncertainty, or even dreams in the vat-brain that only thinks the information is externally sourced. Without some form of
a priori justification, you can't even have "external" and "internal" distinctions.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The problem here isn't outer versus inner, but knowledge versus justification.

David Hume proved that justification cannot be external. His error was concluding that empirical certainty is therefore impossible.

Applied to this case, you're saying that justification is both external and internal. I realize that you didn't mention that, only "knowledge" and "information." But what if justification is desirable, and what if it has to be either internal or external and not both?

You're right in that knowledge and information are necessary epistemic conditions of certainty. But they are not sufficient. With only external information, your internal knowedge is reduced to uncertainty, or even dreams in the vat-brain that only thinks the information is externally sourced. Without some form of
a priori justification, you can't even have "external" and "internal" distinctions.

Right, but that "a priori" knowledge is in conjunction with other processes which it cannot be removed from. I'm suggesting the demarcation between a priori and a posteriori is q bit of a false dichotomy.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Right, but that "a priori" knowledge is in conjunction with other processes which it cannot be removed from. I'm suggesting the demarcation between a priori and a posteriori is q bit of a false dichotomy.

I don't believe knowledge is processed information. And that idea isn't necessary to provide justification.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't believe knowledge is processed information. And that idea isn't necessary to provide justification.

I'm not arguing that per se. I'm saying causation is non-linear.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
That site is really confusing and hard to read. The color scheme is also not very comfortable.

With that said, I think I agree with it. :huh:

I seem to get what it says about a priori, of a given definition for 'a priori'.

Edit:
Also I'd like to point out that the most a priori math is 1+1 = 11.

That's not a joke, that's unary notation, probably the first math system ever made. If you have a 1 and a 1, you have 11 - it's a tally of the number of 1's. Similarly, 11 + 111 = 11111

Unary is vary basic and easy to grasp. Even children often get it immediately.

The second easiest notation is binary. 1+1 = 10. Binary makes multiplication easy to understand because the only significant operations are 1*1 and 1*0 with obvious results.

For example
10*10 = 100

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That site is really confusing and hard to read. The color scheme is also not very comfortable.

With that said, I think I agree with it. :huh:

I seem to get what it says about a priori, of a given definition for 'a priori'.

The logical a priori, the mathematical a priori, and the ethical a priori.

The "logical" is the easiest to get, perhaps that's why Owl started with it. Logic is not justified or induced empirically, therefore it is a priori knowledge.

The "mathematical" is a bit harder, but readily approachable through his examples. It depends on the problem of induction, in which an impossibly infinite number of examples would be required to necessitate a true mathematical proposition. A single exception alone is sufficient to negate its universality and necessity. But universality and necessity are the very definition of a priori knowledge, and moreover, of mathematics.

The "ethical" consists of a much longer argument. It revolves around the is/ought dilemma, or, how to derive a moral "ought" from an ontological "is." The "is" in this case is equivalent to the empirically inductive form of justification mentioned above, and the same problem develops. Owl's form of proof in this section is by modus tollendo ponens; in other words, P is false therefore Q is true by default (viz., ethics must have an a priori justification).

[A bit edited for clarity.]

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
[MENTION=13589]Mal+[/MENTION]

Yeah it makes sense when I can get around the formatting. :D

This is kind of nice really because a while ago I didn't really believe in a priori knowledge, but it just turns out that I didn't understand what a priori really is.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=13589]Mal+[/MENTION]

Yeah it makes sense when I can get around the formatting. :D

This is kind of nice really because a while ago I didn't really believe in a priori knowledge, but it just turns out that I didn't understand what a priori really is.

Those old sites always have bad formatting, don't they? Well I'm glad one person here got something out of that page. The part on universals is also pretty good.

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Gah!

Where knowledge is defined as justified true belief, a priori knowledge is the set of true beliefs that are justified without appeal to sensory experience. In contradistinction, a posteriori knowledge is the set of true beliefs that depend on sensory experience for justification. In this view, all true beliefs must be justified to count as knowledge--the a priori/a posteriori distinction concerns the manner of such justification.

The true belief that every bachelor is an unmarried man can be justified without needing to round-up all bachelors to see if they're unmarried, because the fact just follows from the meaning of 'bachelor'. This is a classic example of a priori knowledge. However, a priori knowledge need not always be as trivial as this. For example, consider the true belief that no highest prime number exists. Few people find this obvious, but it follows as surely from the nature of numbers as being unmarried follows from being a bachelor. Certainly, an infinite set of prime numbers is not something we can experience via the senses, but we nonetheless know it must exist.

For a long time, the big controversy in philosophy was whether there exists synthetic a priori knowledge. Both examples of a priori knowledge mentioned above are analytic rather than synthetic, i.e. they must be true on pain of contradiction. In contrast, a priori synthetic knowledge is conceivably false but still justified without appeal to sensory experience. This was important because many of our fundamental beliefs about reality are synthetic but appear impossible to justify with sensory experience. For example, a principle of induction seemed indispensable for the justification of scientific theories, yet neither was it true on pain of contradiction nor knowable a posteriori. The problem then, was that if the principle of induction is justifiable, then it must be justifiable a priori, and that would require a priori synthetic knowledge.

In any case, the a priori/a posteriori distinction is not so popular these days. It has been relegated to a pragmatic distinction rather than two fundamentally different kinds of knowledge. The main reason for this has to do with the underdetermination problem. When confronted with a mismatch between our expectations and experience, we must have erred somewhere, but where? The recalcitrant evidence entails that at least some of our assumptions are false, but the arrow of refutation doesn't point to anything in particular. Perhaps, then, so-called a priori knowledge is at fault. For example, there is no purely logical reason why we should not decide to "falsify" the law of excluded middle and reject classical logic in favour of intuitionist logic. In this case, the strong distinction between a priori and a posteriori knowledge is dissolved.

My own take is that the a priori/a posteriori distinction is mostly, but not entirely, pragmatic. However, my reasons are quite different from the more popular argument mentioned above. In fact, I am an non-justificationist. That is, I do not believe that true beliefs are justifiable at all, in any way, shape, or form. Strictly speaking, I deny the existence of both a priori and a posteriori knowledge. Indeed, the most interesting things about knowledge, in my view, are not our subjective beliefs at all, but the objective occurrence of knowledge as an emergent and evolving process.