• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is fish a meat?

Is fish a meat?

• Total voters

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Not according to Catholics, who can eat fish on Fridays. However, most vegetarians would say yes.

MBTI Type
INTJ
It's a protein but it doesn't live on land. Apparently that's the skewed logic the Catholics use too.

Actually, the Catholic prohibition of meat during Lent arises from the fact that fish was common but other meats were luxuries during the time when Lenten penitence originated. It's not because of a skewed idea of what "meat" is. In any event, it's academic at this point. The church recognized the folly of eating seafood as a "sacrifice" and in the late 1960s directed that Catholics should perform an act of penitence or denial on Fridays during Lent that may or may not include a fast of some kind.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Yup, they call me the Joke Killer around these parts. :)

Haha. :p
Well funnily enough I'm still right because my intent was to play on the fact that it is not animal meat after all, which is what the whole 'it is meat but not meat' thing was about. It's called meat but it is not meat in the sense we are talking about. I never specified that the 'is meat' meant 'animal meat', which is why I thought it was funny. :D

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can't speak for whatever is in the box, but in general real fish is definitely a meat...
tumblr_ktbdrb2VEn1qztjn5o1_r1_500.png

"There's very little meat in these gym mats!"

It is meat, and it is also not meat. Just like the inside of a walnut is meat but also not meat.

I hope that makes it clear! :p
Protein dude, protein but, I see what you mean.

No, I don't think fish is not a meat.

I accidentally clicked no.
Haha
It's more likely a fruit.
lol

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ah, sea sponges are animals. Meat?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Define meat.
Define fish.
Define define.
Profit.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Coral, too. Probably not tasty unless you are a parrotfish. Or a sea slug.
Let us be pro-animal rights activists and try give those coral and sponges their animal rights. Hoorah for coral and sponge liberation.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How could it not be considered meat? It's animal carcass, is it not? I've been a lifelong vegetarian and lots of people have told me, "I'm a vegetarian, but I eat fish."

You're doing it wrong.
Here is your winner's trophy:happy2:

LEGERdeMAIN

If it lives in a lake, it does not belong on your plate.

These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat.
And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:
They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.
Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.
And these are they which ye shall have in abomination among the fowls; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the eagle, and the ossifrage, and the ospray,
And the vulture, and the kite after his kind;
Every raven after his kind;
And the owl, and the night hawk, and the cuckow, and the hawk after his kind,
And the little owl, and the cormorant, and the great owl,
And the swan, and the pelican, and the gier eagle,
And the stork, the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat.
All fowls that creep, going upon all four, shall be an abomination unto you.
Yet these may ye eat of every flying creeping thing that goeth upon all four, which have legs above their feet, to leap withal upon the earth;

YOU CAN'T SPELL ABOMINATION WITHOUT O-B-A-M-A

LEGERdeMAIN

For some reason, it's usually categorized separately; especially in the field of diet. There are people who avoid "meat", yet will eat fish.

I avoid mammal meat, but enjoy chicken, turkey and fish. I also love protists and the occasional clam. A pescetarian diet can be very healthy, so long as you aren't frequently eating fish varieties that are high in mercury, like tuna. Salmon is a good choice. Seafood is me food ;D

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:

But... I LIKE seaweed. :( It's not an abomination!

S

Society

this is something i find a bit confusing about my own culture - kosher rules here are common but for some reason the rules against milk and meat don't apply to milk and fish, and vegetarians here often still eat fish (though not vegans).

i think that maybe because the eyes looks less expressive, we naturally place it lower in the hierarchy of things we identify ourselves with then we would animals or even birds.

either way, it is meat in my book, and like all dead things, delicious when done right.

F

FigerPuppet

Lol. I can't believe 5 people have actually answered "No" or "Maybe" to this question. Are you stupid?
I don't care about the ridiculous arguments from semantics you use to justify eating fish as a vegetarian: Fish are meat. Whether or not it is "less unethical" to eat them is a whole other discussion.

AND I FUKKEN LOVE SEAFOOD