• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Life is pointless

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah. In my experience, the ones that really need to click the links, actually don't.

I don't understand what you mean. Are you implying I never heard of Camus or what he said about Sysiphos?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is indeed pointless, but since we only have one, I recommend enjoying it while it lasts.

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't understand what you mean. Are you implying I never heard of Camus or what he said about Sysiphos?

no, it simply means that when writing my reply, I had the choice of creating the link or not. in my experience, nobody clicks on links, therefore I wrote it out in my version.

Elisius

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Life is a chemical process that happened as accident billions of years ago. Life doesn’t have an intelligent creator, it’s all blind and crude forces of the nature creating all forms of life we know. It’s mere product of random chance, it’s impossible for it to have any meaning.

All our feelings are just mechanisms of gene machines that serve as motivations to make us exist long enough to allow a DNA molecule to make one more copy of itself. But allowing this DNA molecule to replicate itself infinitely is absolutely pointless.

We can do what we want but we can’t choose to want what we want. As robots of genes we are biased and prejudiced towards life in a way to keep surviving and reproducing irrationally. We are slaves of a senseless will to live.

Why don’t we choose to think of our biases and prejudices and try to overcome them? Why not to overcome this life?

Welcome to the first step in a long line of enlightenment. We are just machines. What's the next step? Where can your thoughts go from here?

xisnotx

Permabanned
You were given a life, you might as well use it.

The beauty of life is that it isn't binding, you and you alone choose what it is you do.

If life had a point, and you were bound to that point, then you would be a slave.

But, instead, you are free.

I like that more than the alternative, but maybe that's just me.

Munchies

MBTI Type
XNXP
Enneagram
OMG
Instinctual Variant
sx
Life is a chemical process that happened as accident billions of years ago. Life doesn’t have an intelligent creator, it’s all blind and crude forces of the nature creating all forms of life we know. It’s mere product of random chance, it’s impossible for it to have any meaning.
It's a chemical process, but what happened before hand to make the chemical process possible? and before that? and before that? and before that? seems nature goes deeper then your observations. Besides you can't even define consciousness, how can you say you know everything in the world
All our feelings are just mechanisms of gene machines that serve as motivations to make us exist long enough to allow a DNA molecule to make one more copy of itself. But allowing this DNA molecule to replicate itself infinitely is absolutely pointless.
So you must be god and understand the natural order and that the state of consciousness in the human beings is completely irrelevant to the universe as a whole. How do you know this? i am intrigued
We can do what we want but we can’t choose to want what we want. As robots of genes we are biased and prejudiced towards life in a way to keep surviving and reproducing irrationally. We are slaves of a senseless will to live.

Why don’t we choose to think of our biases and prejudices and try to overcome them? Why not to overcome this life?
How dare you bring this blaberful filth in the philosophy section

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Talking about this is pointless. Although I have been known to engage in and enjoy pointless activity.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
"The joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal"

The point is to have meaning, to have meaning you need signifigance, signifigance is in relation.
I find the odds of being born a human pretty significant. Even if there were nothing but ants, chickens and humans on this planet, you’d have about a 0.0000067 percent chance of being human, or pretty damn near zero.
Despite our attempts to overpopulate and control the earth, we are actually very rare in relation to other living creatures.

I also find what seperates humans from animals fairly significant. General computation, promiscuous combination of ideas, mental symbols and abstract thought... ego. Only humans have the ability to sense dissatisfaction or emptiness in the life experience, only humans seek perfection and completion. This to me, is fairly significant...what purpose does it serve?

I believe these differences are exactly what is needed to set the framework for what the buddhists would call "dependent-origination."

"this Law of Dependent Origination is beyond time and space, beyond relativity and beyond birth and extinction. The Law of Dependent Origination is always as such. It is because of the defilement of self-clinging and self-attachment that human beings are deluded. With our morality, wisdom, and determination, we may develop our practice and transcend the mundane state of human beings. Then we may realise and experience the ultimate absolute from the dependent originated worldly conditions. If we can attain this blissful state, we will find that although life is still life, every present state of life is eternal, and every moment is a moment of liberation"

Even if this is all a crock and there is no point as you say, I am infinately thankful for my opportuniy of existance. So much to do, think, feel, create, experience.. so amazing to just be a part of it all..a conscious observer of life ... how anyone could prefer non-existance to this is.. beyond my comprehension.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN-Bo9XCwsk"].[/YOUTUBE]

siltha

Certainly the strongest motivation to keep an organism alive is pleasure. The role of pleasure is to inspire the organism to perform actions to survive and reproduce. Any activity whose deprivation causes us such a lack of pleasure in us that we act irrationally and even maniacally to its absence is an addiction.

We should overcome our irrational addictions for life and all stupid nature mechanisms that preclude us from seeing the truth of reality.
Also, death is the endpoint uncovered by the quest to overcome prejudice in the name of enlightenment.

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Any activity whose deprivation causes us such a lack of pleasure in us that we act irrationally and even maniacally to its absence is an addiction.

Incorrect.

This assumes that we only care about the immediate gains. It doesn't consider future payoffs and discards the act of investing as valuable.

The most serious offense here is that it lays the groundwork for the idea that planning is bad. Goals, planning, investing, future thinking are all sin. The choices hereafter are nihilism and hedonism. Once you are tired of both, you will have another existential crisis.

why is this a sin? because it removes self regulation and individual sovereignty. It removes the spiritual elements of liberty for which its opposite manifests; tyranny.

good luck.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You mindless slaves!

God created man and man created Jaguar, (a bot.)
If life is God and God is man and man is robot, then what is a Jaguar and what is man and life anyway?
Any questions?

:wacko:

(stupid threads get stupid responses. I'm talking generally and not about any thread in specific here. )

G

garbage

If life is God and God is man and man is robot, then what is a Jaguar and what is man and life anyway?

But why would God name a robot after an animal? Are robot and animal one?

This means that man is animal. Man is robot, and robot is animal. God is robot and animal.

God is an automaton. God is primal.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Excuse me, but the Jaguar was created by Fender...!

what a beautiful little thing:
p2_uys4l3szm_so.jpg

Any questions?

:wacko:

(stupid threads get stupid responses. I'm talking generally and not about any thread in specific here. )

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For us feeble humans life is close to pointless, but for a galactic super civilization, life is ultimate control over the forces of the universe.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So, you're the futuristic version of [MENTION=3325]Victor[/MENTION] ?

I am very present moment oriented generally, except concerning the Ultimate Destiny of humans, but I do know of good future quotes by Tesla:

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
― Nikola Tesla

“All that was great in the past was ridiculed, condemned, combated, suppressed — only to emerge all the more powerfully, all the more triumphantly from the struggle.”
― Nikola Tesla
“The future will show whether my foresight is as accurate now as it has proved heretofore.”
“The spread of civilization may be likened to a fire; First, a feeble spark, next a flickering flame, then a mighty blaze, ever increasing in speed and power.”
A single ray of light from a distant star falling upon the eye of a tyrant in bygone times, may have altered the course of his life, may have changed the destiny of nations, may have transformed the surface of the globe, so intricate, so inconceivably complex are the processes of nature.”
“Of all the frictional resistances, the one that most retards human movement is ignorance, what Buddha called 'the greatest evil in the world.' The friction which results from ignorance can be reduced only by the spread of knowledge and the unification of the heterogeneous elements of humanity. No effort could be better spent.”
“The scientific man does not aim at an immediate result. He does not expect that his advanced ideas will be readily taken up. His work is like that of a planter -- for the future. His duty is to lay foundation of those who are to come and point the way.”
“We are whirling through endless space, with and inconceivable speed, all around everything is spinning, everything is moving, everywhere there is energy. There must be some way of availing ourselves of this energy more directly. Then, with the light obtained from the medium, with the power derived from it, with every form of energy obtained without effort, from the store forever inexhaustible, humanity will advance with giant strides. The mere contemplation of these magnificent possibilities expand our minds, strengthens our hopes and and fills our hearts with supreme delight.”
“The progressive development of man is vitally dependent on invention. It is the most important product of his creative brain. Its ultimate purpose is the complete mastery of mind over the material world, the harnessing of the forces of nature to human needs. This is the difficult task of the inventor who is often misunderstood and unrewarded. But he finds ample compensation in the pleasing exercises of his powers and in the knowledge of being one of that exceptionally privileged class without whom the race would have long ago perished in the bitter struggle against pitiless elements. Speaking for myself, I have already had more than my full measure of this exquisite enjoyment; so much, that for many years my life was little short of continuous rapture.”
“The day when we shall know exactly what “electricity” is, will chronicle an event probably greater, more important than any other recorded in the history of the human race. The time will come when the comfort, the very existence, perhaps, of man will depend upon that wonderful agent.”

Within

Permabanned
I am very present moment oriented generally, except concerning the Ultimate Destiny of humans, but I do know of good future quotes by Tesla:

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
― Nikola Tesla

“All that was great in the past was ridiculed, condemned, combated, suppressed — only to emerge all the more powerfully, all the more triumphantly from the struggle.”
― Nikola Tesla
“The future will show whether my foresight is as accurate now as it has proved heretofore.”
“The spread of civilization may be likened to a fire; First, a feeble spark, next a flickering flame, then a mighty blaze, ever increasing in speed and power.”
A single ray of light from a distant star falling upon the eye of a tyrant in bygone times, may have altered the course of his life, may have changed the destiny of nations, may have transformed the surface of the globe, so intricate, so inconceivably complex are the processes of nature.”
“Of all the frictional resistances, the one that most retards human movement is ignorance, what Buddha called 'the greatest evil in the world.' The friction which results from ignorance can be reduced only by the spread of knowledge and the unification of the heterogeneous elements of humanity. No effort could be better spent.”
“The scientific man does not aim at an immediate result. He does not expect that his advanced ideas will be readily taken up. His work is like that of a planter -- for the future. His duty is to lay foundation of those who are to come and point the way.”
“We are whirling through endless space, with and inconceivable speed, all around everything is spinning, everything is moving, everywhere there is energy. There must be some way of availing ourselves of this energy more directly. Then, with the light obtained from the medium, with the power derived from it, with every form of energy obtained without effort, from the store forever inexhaustible, humanity will advance with giant strides. The mere contemplation of these magnificent possibilities expand our minds, strengthens our hopes and and fills our hearts with supreme delight.”
“The progressive development of man is vitally dependent on invention. It is the most important product of his creative brain. Its ultimate purpose is the complete mastery of mind over the material world, the harnessing of the forces of nature to human needs. This is the difficult task of the inventor who is often misunderstood and unrewarded. But he finds ample compensation in the pleasing exercises of his powers and in the knowledge of being one of that exceptionally privileged class without whom the race would have long ago perished in the bitter struggle against pitiless elements. Speaking for myself, I have already had more than my full measure of this exquisite enjoyment; so much, that for many years my life was little short of continuous rapture.”
“The day when we shall know exactly what “electricity” is, will chronicle an event probably greater, more important than any other recorded in the history of the human race. The time will come when the comfort, the very existence, perhaps, of man will depend upon that wonderful agent.”

Yeah, I didn't read anything of that.