• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Make it stop

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One of my friends is quite religious and has a religious charity.

I told her that I'd donate every month (only really because she's my friend and I want to support her).

Now, she's telling me that I will start to notice that all my wants/desires/prayers/dreams, etc. will start to come true because I am donating now.

:huh:

How do I make her stop saying that without offending her?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's hard. Maybe tell her it makes you feel uncomfortable for her to say that?

I told her that I'd donate every month (only really because she's my friend and I want to support her).

Now, she's telling me that I will start to notice that all my wants/desires/prayers/dreams, etc. will start to come true because I am donating now.

Tell her you're donating to support her, not because you expect or want anything out of it.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Tell her you're donating to support her, not because you expect or want anything out of it.

exactly what I was going to say... and point out that if someone is truly being charitable the idea of getting something in return is kind of a turn off as well... might help her out in the long run :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh ISFJ, please just politely tell this person that you're happy to donate but you'd rather not have a conversation.

Tell her spirituality is a private thing for you and you don't like to talk about it. She should respect that, and that way she won't make it about her.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh vey. What have I gotten myself into? :doh:

Oh ISFJ, please just politely tell this person that you're happy to donate but you'd rather not have a conversation.

Tell her spirituality is a private thing for you and you don't like to talk about it. She should respect that, and that way she won't make it about her.

We talk all the time about *her* spirituality (which doesn't bother me).

exactly what I was going to say... and point out that if someone is truly being charitable the idea of getting something in return is kind of a turn off as well... might help her out in the long run :)

She said she was going to send me prayers and bible verses by email every day.

I didn't ask for this though. lol

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

you DO know that you can block e-mails without the sender knowing, don't you? :whistling:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh vey. What have I gotten myself into? :doh:

We talk all the time about *her* spirituality (which doesn't bother me).

Ugh is there a way to divert the emails to your spam or trash folder automatically?

I don't know what to tell you, except to change the subject or to directly say "you know, I don't mean to offend you, but this makes me uncomfortable to discuss this."

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
you DO know that you can block e-mails without the sender knowing, don't you? :whistling:

She sends me other emails too though from the same email address.

Plus, she's actually one of my best friends. I'm not looking to ignore her.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
She sends me other emails too though from the same email address.

Plus, she's actually one of my best friends. I'm not looking to ignore her.

just explain to her that you are donating because you're her friend and aren't interested in other such things... other choice? keep getting the emails :shrug:

and that's why I always provide fake email addresses when I donate :laugh:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, I think I know what's going on. I think she just wants to show or express her gratitude and she assumes that this is the way I want to receive it. I'll just tell her how I want to receive it instead. Not that it's necessary for me anyway, but she seems to want to.

Lark

Tell her God's will be done, which may not necessarily involve that.

Lark

Okay, I think I know what's going on. I think she just wants to show or express her gratitude and she assumes that this is the way I want to receive it. I'll just tell her how I want to receive it instead. Not that it's necessary for me anyway, but she seems to want to.

What if she turns out to be right though? Is this like a subscription deal? I wonder what the packages are like, dreams of a lifetime, childhood dreams, day dreams, other dreams?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
And what if her wants, desires, and dreams are for decidedly un-Biblical things like sex with a different hot stranger every night for a week until she runs away with her handsome prince the following week?

Lark

And what if her wants, desires, and dreams are for decidedly un-Biblical things like sex with a different hot stranger every night for a week until she runs away with her handsome prince the following week?

Yeah but you said decidedly un-Biblical. :laugh:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Eh, just ask someone else to offend her on your behalf by saying that you think that's crazy. That's usually my role with my ISFJ girlfriend, I'm sure you have someone in your life that could fill that niche.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Eh, just ask someone else to offend her on your behalf by saying that you think that's crazy. That's usually my role with my ISFJ girlfriend, I'm sure you have someone in your life that could fill that niche.

I don't want anyone to offend her. :cry:

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Tell her what you're thinking/ feeling. State your case in a friendly but firm manner.