• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is introspection a form of intelligence?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...versus, just a characteristic...?

That's the Q. A curious mind inquires!

*Also, is curiosity a form of intelligence or just a (necessary?) precursor to it? I suppose curiosity may be a variety of introspection.

*Err I meant vice versa! Introspection seems like a variety of curiosity that is specifically directed inward.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is a model of multiple intelligences that includes intrapersonal skills. I'm not sure yet what to think of it.

Curiosity, I'd say, is an indication of intelligence and a great aid on the path to knowledge.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think introverts tend to be more intelligent in general. I think they are prone to getting caught up in recursive loops that can limit their effectiveness though.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is extroversion a form of stupidity? :burns:

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think introverts tend to be more intelligent in general. I think they are prone to getting caught up in recursive loops that can limit their effectiveness though.

I thought introspection is more closely tied to intuition than introversion. I might have been wrong...

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

To the bolded - absolutely agree. To the non-bolded, not so sure I agree. I guess that's part of the point to the OP, though, in that intense introspection (*which is often more associated with introverts) can yield certain insights that would never be discovered without the introspection? But the negative side is obviously the looping and self-absorption; I mean, being blind/oblivious to external input could also be viewed as incredibly stupid/ignorant/unintelligent. Just depends.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm confused. People seem to be equating introspection with introversion, and FTR I don't agree that they are synonymous at all.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm confused. People seem to be equating introspection with introversion, and FTR I don't agree that they are synonymous at all.

Agreed. I don't think they are synonymous. There is a tendency for introverts to be introspective just as there is a tendency for extroverts not to be. Perhaps that it just natural considering the focus of attention/energy gain? Not sure but it seems to make sense.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Agreed. I don't think they are synonymous. There is a tendency for introverts to be introspective just as their is a tendency for extroverts not to be. Perhaps that it just natural considering the focus of attention/energy gain? Not sure but it seems to make sense.

A correlative argument can definitely be made and I welcome people to make it if they want.

I'm just trying to refocus the perception because I want people to understand the question I'm asking isn't specific to that.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think so. I think it's just a tool some use to access knowledge. And, yeah, that is most likely introverts.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think the very intelligent are more likely to feel isolated/alone and if they do not develop the tools to connect with others are prone to introspection. I think environment matters as well someone of say iq 160 (yes, I know iq doesn't equal intelligence) would probably be more prone to introspection in a small town than on a college campus or in a social club in a large metropolitan region.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
In a 2010 science journal, a study found that anterior prefrontal cortex size (the amount of dark and white matter) was directly connected to degrees of introspection - but the size has never been connected to IQ (from what I've read). Introspection seems to be a necessary ability to expand consciousness and self awareness, so I think it is a form of intelligence. I also think that too much introspection can hinder functioning.

"Is that a big anterior prefrontal cortex or are you just happy to see yourself?"

LOL

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
...versus, just a characteristic...?

That's the Q. A curious mind inquires!

*Also, is curiosity a form of intelligence or just a (necessary?) precursor to it? I suppose curiosity may be a variety of introspection.

*Err I meant vice versa! Introspection seems like a variety of curiosity that is specifically directed inward.
Introspection seems more directly related to wisdom than to intelligence.

Nicodemus

Intelligence is what we define it as. Personally, I consider the ability to introspect a sign of intelligence. However, that tells you more about me than about intelligence.

kevinlivecomau

MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
5w6
Many philosophers, such as Immanuel Kant and Descartes, held cognition, the ability to connect ideas and deduce pure a priori synthetic judgments as the pinnacle of reasoning. By being introspective we tend to look at ourselves without the influence of our exterior environment. By doing so we may gain a deeper understanding in many things and also reveal the untapped knowledge we possess. Intelligence is the ability to acquire knowledge, while being introspective is an ability to acquire knowledge. Although self reflection may support intelligence, I don't believe that being introspective is in directly proportional to intelligence, as there are many other ways which knowledge can be gained, through observation etc.