• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cynicism, do you think there's more of it than there used to be?

Lark

What do you think the consequences of cynicism are personally or sociallly and do you think its on the rise and why?

Munchies

MBTI Type
XNXP
Enneagram
OMG
Instinctual Variant
sx
there's too many men, too many people making too many problems... and there's not much love to go around. Can't you see this is a zoo of dim wits

Kurt.Is.God

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4W5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
there's too many men, too many people making too many problems... and there's not much love to go around. Can't you see this is a zoo of dim wits

Yeah, man! Fight the patriarchy!

Lark

Dont think I'm going to bother posting another thread for a long, long time.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I find that there is a disproportionate amount of cynicism on the internet in particular. Something about it draws cynics and negativity.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Likely because people simply cannot be so rude in person.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
[MENTION=7280]Lark[/MENTION]
too many people playing the his side vs my side game, along with willful ignorance. cynicism is good, if you are not a lazy mind that really does not look at both sides and is more concentrated on proving yourself right vs finding the truth. often times, you get knee jerking response`s with too little investment of thought, little openness. its good to question.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anyone that doesn't agree with Lark is either a cynic or a liberal.

V

violaine

I find that there is a disproportionate amount of cynicism on the internet in particular. Something about it draws cynics and negativity.

Yeah. And/or posing as such. I know a few people IRL who are not much like their cynical online selves.

Also, if I can tell that a person cares about their reputation for being a cynic, well, won't take that stance very seriously at all. Peer pressure and whatnot. Hmm, that's pretty damn cynical of me.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To me, there seems to be a reduction in cynicism. But then again, I grew up with one foot in the Gen X 90's where cynicism reached its apex. I was somewhat startled when the young people started actually openly stating they care about things.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, I think it's because people are just now beginning to realize how big and complex the world is. There's a sense of lack of ability to influence the grand narrative in any tangible way or feeling like a cog in a machine. I wouldn't say cynicism, more resentment repressed deeply because it is not safe to express it.

Rel

Cynicism is stagnation in its purest form. To disable one's self because the world's problems are far bigger than one man can solve is just as much part of the problem as the problem itself. It's just an excuse to be a victim.

Ideally, the greatest consequence of cynicism is that our problems are left to snowball out of control because no one thinks it can be changed.

G

garbage

It's a stage that society is going through, and, as [MENTION=10714]Qlip[/MENTION] says, I think we're slowly emerging from it.

In general, it's a product of questioning things and beginning the process of creating meaning and building our beliefs from the ground up. I don't regard it as a bad thing, but there are definite growing pains.

People think that stuff sucks and that there's no meaning in anything, ever. Everything is questioned, poked, and prodded until it collapses. When the foundations are torn down and seen as baseless, we begin to define meaning in a different way.

Can't you see this is a zoo of dim wits
Is this ironic, or are you just cynical?

Seriously. I read Slashdot for the entertaining comments. Getting a bunch of CIS/IT folks in one room and letting them rant about the state of the government? I'm on board with that.

:popc1:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Cynicism is stagnation in its purest form. To disable one's self because the world's problems are far bigger than one man can solve is just as much part of the problem as the problem itself. It's just an excuse to be a victim.

Ideally, the greatest consequence of cynicism is that our problems are left to snowball out of control because no one thinks it can be changed.
You are mistaking cynicism for inaction. I consider myself fairly cynical, but never shy away from tackling problems head-on, and never take the part of a victim. I just understand and acknowledge actual and potential problems, without sugarcoating or wishful thinking. As a result, I can prepare for the worst, and take calculated risks because I have done the calculation. It actually makes me more effective.

Rel

You are mistaking cynicism for inaction. I consider myself fairly cynical, but never shy away from tackling problems head-on, and never take the part of a victim. I just understand and acknowledge actual and potential problems, without sugarcoating or wishful thinking. As a result, I can prepare for the worst, and take calculated risks because I have done the calculation. It actually makes me more effective.

Ooh, good point. At first the I thought the most dire result of cynicism had popped in my head, but I suppose the definition of cynicism had evaded me all this time.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The opposite of cynicism would (put cynically) be pollyanna-ism. Either mindset can inform action or inaction, just for different reasons and in different ways. Inaction or stagnation is often based on apathy, or even depression. Cynicism can accompany either of these states, but is not the same.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
The opposite of cynicism would (put cynically) be pollyanna-ism. Either mindset can inform action or inaction, just for different reasons and in different ways. Inaction or stagnation is often based on apathy, or even depression. Cynicism can accompany either of these states, but is not the same.

I can't stand that. I understand having a positive attitude but I have found most pollyanna types are also on a high horse of self-righteousness. Of course they feel they are superior to every cynic and can't wait to tell you/show you how much. After awhile they sound more in denial than anything else.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think we should put all those cynics on an island, give them guns and then watch how they kill each other off. To make the world a better place.

In general though, I think there isn't more cynicism in the world than there used to be, at least not in my experience. Cynicism results from hurt idealism and disillusionment, and I think that the younger people today are rather more pragmatic, and less idealistic, than they used to be (which can make me a bit cynic at times).

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I act a bit different online than I do offline. More cynicism? The WWW has its doubles. While it allows us to speak with people around the world and make it a better place, it is also a pool to talk about what is inherently difficult about the world (the politics as a prime example.) The old saying to not be speaking about politics is dead when it comes to online interaction (though I'm quite sure a lot of people still stay clear from politics even on online interactions.)

To me, there seems to be a reduction in cynicism. But then again, I grew up with one foot in the Gen X 90's where cynicism reached its apex. I was somewhat startled when the young people started actually openly stating they care about things.

I definitely care. If it is full of ****, why not get people to change it? I mean, nothing is stopping us now if people keep saying the world is full of cynicism.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42E2fAWM6rA"]Lost Generation[/YOUTUBE]

This video exposes my point.