• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Did you fear witches growing up?

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
The original question is kind of funny but made me think that things we are scared are culturally tied.
I was not afraid of witches when a child.

G

garbage

This. It would have been like being afraid of unicorns.
To be fair, unicorns are pretty scary. They're horses with horns, and some of the legends tell us that they can teleport around at will. You don't want to piss one of them off. They're more threatening than their modern depictions would have you believe:
how-to-draw-a-chibi-unicorn-tutorial-drawing.jpg

This is bullshit. This is just going to desensitize us to their real danger, just as FreeBSD's Elmer Fudd demon did with, oh, demons.

--

No, I didn't fear witches--but, as [MENTION=1493]alcea rosea[/MENTION] states, we fear the things that we were raised to fear (or were otherwise exposed to but didn't understand), so I could have been.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The witches from the movie The Witches (based on the Roald Dahl book) scared the crap out of me.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, I was afraid of demons. Not like scaly things with horns. Fallen angels set out to twist you, whispering poison into your subconscious, possessing Ouija boards, knocking bibles off of shelves and clawing at your back in the night.

Reverie

In orbit
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
No, I was afraid of demons. Not like scaly things with horns. Fallen angels set out to twist you, whispering poison into your subconscious, possessing Ouija boards, knocking bibles off of shelves and clawing at your back in the night.
Those were actually the very scariest. I think I repressed that fear and forgot. ;D
On that note a fond memory from childhood was a TV series where a woman inherits a haunted house with a painting that cries and a creepy doll that bruises and pops up everywhere. By coincidence I discovered that they'd actually used a doll that was in production and sold commercially as I pulled one out of a giftwrapper opening christmas presents, age 5. It was disturbing.

G

garbage

Which is the fears witches function? Ne? Fe?
Si+Fe, man. We've always feared witches; therefore, we ought to fear witches now. They are not us; they are outsiders.

Alternatively, Ni. I prophesize that a witch will eat your family. How do I know this? I just know this.

:wink:

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Those were actually the very scariest. I think I repressed that fear and forgot. ;D
On that note a fond memory from childhood was a TV series where a woman inherits a haunted house with a painting that cries and a creepy doll that bruises and pops up everywhere. By coincidence I discovered that they'd actually used a doll that was in production and sold commercially as I pulled one out of a giftwrapper opening christmas presents, age 5. It was disturbing.

It's time to rerepress! That is creepy. I had a conversation this weekend questioning as to why anybody insisted on keeping that creepy clown doll in the kids room in Poltergeist. Nobody seemed to like it.

Reverie

In orbit
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
Tell me about it. It should be a rule: Creepy dolls--->to the dumpster, NO CLOWNS! ever. ...and if you hear a creepy sound coming from a house rumored to be haunted/abandoned holiday center/ former house of a notorious serial killer RUN ...not towards, but away from. ;D

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nope. I was scared of elevators, failure to make my parents proud, and any nondescript creature that could occupy the dark recesses beneath my bed and in my bedroom closet.

Not witches in general but my dad used to read me Russian fairytales so I grew up being terrified of Baba Yaga.

Permabanned
I've never particularly enjoyed Hansel & Gretel and always thought being allured to a house of cake and confectionery to be silly and a sign of weakness. :shrug:
So no @ the OP.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes.

I have a vivid memory from my early childhood of being really sad and upset about something and deciding to walk into a forest, to die or something. I lived in a rural area, surrounded by forests.
Eventually I got lost and after walking around for god knows how long, I happened on a perfectly round clearing within the forest, and in the center of that clearing was a house, suspended on the roots of a large tree that had grown spirally around the house - a witch's house. The whole thing was swaying around and twisting and seemed to be becoming aware of my presence there.
I turned and ran, not stopping until I eventually found my way back home, seemingly approaching it from an entirely different direction from where I had first headed off. I got home, my mother made me hot chocolate and of course didn't believe a word of what I said that had happened to me.
It all feels like a drunken memory, but I'm sure it wasn't a dream; just some weird combination of an overactive imagination and stress. And actual witches.

G

garbage

No, I didn't fear witches--but, as [MENTION=1493]alcea rosea[/MENTION] states, we fear the things that we were raised to fear (or were otherwise exposed to but didn't understand), so I could have been.

Also: attributing effects to the wrong causes (e.g. demons causing the typoon that flooded your house because you had sex and summoned those demons) happens sometimes. Then, we get afraid of things that we really shouldn't be afraid of.

Sometimes, those 'safety measures' are passed down from generation to generation.

:(

leafing

MBTI Type
INTJ
I am a witch.

Things that scared me would be imagining some sort of monster or killer hiding in the darkness at night while I'm sleeping. Sometimes I would be paranoid if I reached my arm out something would grab it. Although I knew it wouldn't happen the idea or surprise scared me sort of.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wasn't afraid of witches... I wanted to BE a witch! :holy:

however, I was always afraid of stuffed animals, people in animal costumes, clowns, mimes, face masks and pictures of people staring at me from the wall.... I am still afraid of these things even though I was raised to think that these things were FUN :thelook:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
No, I was never afraid of witches. Like some others have said, I never really thought they could possibly be real.

I was afraid of ghosts, big time, though.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Witches in general caused me minimal trepidation. Voodoo witchdoctors/princesses on the other hand...