• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Did you fear witches growing up?

Lark

I think even between my own generation and the next there's been a paradigm shift in what scares people, spooks, ghosts, witches have been replaced with UFOs, shady conspiracies, terrorists what do you think and what's your experience?

I know that when I was little I was totally afraid of witches and witchcraft and most of the time it was simply old age or neglected gardens which frightened me and I associated with those things. I was afraid of the Devil too but I think that's a slightly different story because I had no idea what the devil looked like and was a total metaphysical fear.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, I wasn't scared of witches and witchcraft. It's too tangible.

I was more scared of things that I weren't sure whether they were true. Like aliens, ghosts, etc. But typically only when I was in environments where such things might be. (I lived next to a graveyard, for example; and some nights I was fine walking my dog down along the crumbly cemetery wall, and other nights I just wanted to run as fast as my legs could carry me.)

Reverie

In orbit
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
Witches...No I thought I was one. ...and there'd been a mistake because I had been born in the wrong place and family. ;)
As irrational fears go: I was slightly afraid of my shadow and not metaphorically. And ghosts and spirits.

KDude

I kind of did, but not in a way that I put much thought into.

There was actually some rumors of a witch in my neighborhood growing up. I broke into her house when she was gone.. there was nothing spooky there. No frog eyeballs and cauldrons of boiling hands. I looked into her freezer and all she had was the usual. But I ended up thrashing the place anyways. Damn the witch!!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Considering my religion now-a-days, it is no surprise :laugh: but I was fascinated by them growing up. Ghosts as a concept did not scare me.. but evil ghosts did. Demons were scariest for me. Shadow monsters and under-the-bed monsters.

My brother told me a story (when I was pretty young) about a monster that attacked people when they used the toilet, right after they tried to flush.. For a month straight I'd flush and then sprint from the bathroom as fast as I could. :laugh: it seems silly now, but I was terrified of the thought of a toilet monster eating me.

But I digress.. witches, if they did frighten me.. it was again, the concept of 'bad' witches and evil witches that were scary, not the being itself.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Not in the slightest. I wanted to be a gypsy or a witch. I remember reading Ghosts I Have Been when I was 8.

I was scared of clowns, mean looking porcelain dolls (not the "little girl" kind, but the ones that looked like sophisticated grown women, I collected them and my grandfather bought me this one doll that gave me the creeps) ...and I believe ventriloquist dummies were the first, I remember being as young as about six and thinking Lester from ABC Storytime was going to jump out from under my bed and inject me with poison needles.

I have no idea. I always preferred stuffed animals to dolls, and this is probably why. On the other hand, I actually was obsessed with Barbies and had a talking doll that didn't scare me in the slightest - but probably because she looked like an innocent small child rather than an adult.

Lark

I kind of did, but not in a way that I put much thought into.

There was actually some rumors of a witch in my neighborhood growing up. I broke into her house when she was gone.. there was nothing spooky there. No frog eyeballs and cauldrons of boiling hands. I looked into her freezer and all she had was the usual. But I ended up thrashing the place anyways. Damn the witch!!

:laugh:

Seriously though I hope this is made up :huh:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was afraid of the scarier things that I had seen in movies, as well as real life things. I think if I had seen anything that scared me, that involved witches, then I would have been scared of them -- but I wasn't, really.

One thing that I was absolutely terrified of, when I was about 5 or 6, was mirrors. I was terrified that when I looked into them, I'd see either something behind me, or an altered/creepier/malevolent version of myself. I think I saw it in an ad for something -- maybe one of the Chucky movies -- and I had nightmares about it later.

Ingrid in grids

Not at all, and probably due to my exposure to literature, films etc. in which witches were heroines.

• Practical Magic
  • The Harry Potter Series
  • Hocus Pocus - though they were the villains in this one
  • The Worst Witch
etc.

I was less afraid of the supernatural than I was of other people - murderers, abductors, rapists etc. I do remember feeling paranoid though that someone, somewhere might be able to read my thoughts, so sometimes I would totally avoid certain thoughts that I thought were dirty or that I wanted to keep to myself... I suppose that's a bit 'witchy'. I did feel that ghosts/spirits were around, though, and sometimes I even tried to listen to what they wanted to communicate, or I'd attempt to communicate with them.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No. I was not. I remember seeing one movie about the devil impregnating a girl with a child that was meant to be the Antichrist. I remember being afraid that was me.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No, wasn't afraid of witches because I never believed they were even possibly real. Not in the "evil witchcraft" sense. Same reason I wasn't afraid of vampires or werewolves. I was afraid of amorphous "monsters" or spirits or whatever. Wasn't afraid of aliens, either, because the event of them coming to Earth and then waging genocide seemed unlikely (not because I doubted their existence).

MBTI Type
INTJ
No, wasn't afraid of witches because I never believed they were even possibly real. Not in the "evil witchcraft" sense. Same reason I wasn't afraid of vampires or werewolves. I was afraid of amorphous "monsters" or spirits or whatever. Wasn't afraid of aliens, either, because the event of them coming to Earth and then waging genocide seemed unlikely (not because I doubted their existence).

This. It would have been like being afraid of unicorns.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No, not at all. I'm not very superstitious.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, never. I was more afraid of real, concrete things like my parents dying before I grew up and having to live with an uncle I disliked; or a fire destroying our house. Nothing really bad like this ever happened, though.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I wasn't afraid of them. I usually dressed up as one every Halloween! :) I just remember being scared of the dark when I was alone in my bedroom at night. So, I lined up stuffed animals all along the side of the bed next to the wall, to protect me from whatever might lurk there.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was only afraid of things that were real (but exaggerated forms). Wolves, bears, fire, murderers, etc.

Ponyboy

Insert witty line here...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Was never afraid of witches, or anything of the like. I can relate to those that have said they were afraid of real but exagerrated stuff. Showing my age, I remember when the movie "The Day After" was shown on TV. That scared the bejeezus out of me. It was about nuclear war and its aftermath. It was a huge sensation and in school most of the teachers didn't bother with any lesson plans the next day because they felt it was more important to discuss that. I realize how ridiculous it was now but back then....I don't know, I guess just times were different :shrug:

Edit: I am now also terrified of ever having to spell "exaggerated" again! And yes, I did have to scroll up to see how Random spelled it :)