• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would you bet your life that the sun will rise tomorrow?

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
WHY?!?!?!??! other then the fact that it decays tooth enamel

As much as I find the flavor of mint delightful, I will not chew something that convention tells me not to swallow. Doing so seems as illogical as believing that the sun will not rise tomorrow.

Munchies

MBTI Type
XNXP
Enneagram
OMG
Instinctual Variant
sx
As much as I find the flavor of mint delightful, I will not chew something that convention tells me not to swallow. Doing so seems as illogical as believing that the sun will not rise tomorrow.

Fair say. I don't think i will chew gum anymore either, it's a good excuse. Anyways i think my duty here is done. Less someone should talk about the main topic again, in that case i'll have to derail it once more

xisnotx

Permabanned
I wonder what the probability is of event a happening, given that b has happened, when that a->b occurence has only happened once before?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I'ld bet my life that this cheeseburger here wont live another 3 minutes

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
might as well... it's not like it'd be worth living if the sun ceased rising :shrug:

Permabanned
If a chewing gum balloon bursts out in space, and there's no sun to hear it, does it make a sound?

Munchies

MBTI Type
XNXP
Enneagram
OMG
Instinctual Variant
sx
I wonder what the probability is of event a happening, given that b has happened, when that a->b occurence has only happened once before?

you are thinking predestination?

As of right now, there are is predestination occuring in the stars, or so it appears. There is a mathematical limit to what can happen. That said, there is a mathematical preseision for what WILL happen. If (B) happense, it is a result of mathematical occurences (A) that made the reaction (B) happen. The stars are ruled by mathematical occurences and when looking at the whole universe of mathematical occurences happening, there is a predestined reaction that will take place. Unless there was a Conciousness that was guiding all of it into infinite possibility:D

F

FigerPuppet

Betting your life is win/win, because if the sun doesn't rise chances are that something horrible has happened that'll rid this planet of a significant portion, if not all of its lifeforms.

redacted

I would definitely bet my life that the sun will rise tomorrow (given any kind of significant incentive) even if the sun rising were not a prerequisite to my living.

If someone put a 5 dollar bill on the other side of the street, I would cross it, which is a much more risky life-bet if you ask me.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What's the point of betting your life? If you lose the bet you die but what do you gain from winning the bet? You were already alive when you made the bet, it's not like you can double your life you the way you can with money.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
... it's not like you can double your life you the way you can with money.

Well, maybe we should specify that your lifetime will be doubled should you win the bet. That would be a bet I would take.

So yeah, with no reward for winning the bet I wouldn't do it, but for a doubled lifetime I'd do it.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy-rise, a morining filled with 400 billion suns, the rising of the Milky Way.
Carl Sagan

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You kinda do bet your life that it will rise anyway because if it didn't rise we wouldn't last long. Just sayin.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I might think it was a weird monkey's paw type trick, so I'd have to clarify the bet. If someone killed me because "the sun didn't rise, the earth turned while the sun remained in the same spot," that'd be less than ideal. Really, the concern that I might miss something in the wording or phrasing of the bet would be my biggest deterrent.

I'd also be considerably more concerned with the mental well-being of the person making the bet. If they are actually okay with the idea of potentially murdering me, or think this is a legitimately smart bet in any regard, I'd be concerned they may think the sun didn't rise, or they lie and kill me anyways.

But operating under the assumption we wouldn't die if the sun didn't rise, the bet is not rigged or based on a trick, the person is sane and honorable, I'd bet my life on it against a fairly small incentive. Like, if someone was gonna give me a book or a DVD I like if it rose.

Besides, getting up in the morning and going out (or even staying in, or not getting in) is statistically a lot more dangerous than this bet.

Munchies

MBTI Type
XNXP
Enneagram
OMG
Instinctual Variant
sx
YYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was going to post several days ago about how surprised I was that an NT hadn't pointed out the sun doesn't rise.. but I decided to just let it happen on its own.