• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fame>Demise

Munchies

MBTI Type
XNXP
Enneagram
OMG
Instinctual Variant
sx
In this world of superstar wannabes, let's share some ideas, stories on people going to extreme lengths for fame irrespective of the possible horrible concepts. Stuntmen, Army idiolizers, Hollywood influence.

I've played a bunch of war games growing up, and natturally wanted to join the army since i knew i had infinite potential. I've come to terms with reality and really do not seek fame at all, rather self worth. How about you, or other people you know, taht have gone to extraordinary lengths for fame?

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think fame is never an end in itself- it's typically means to an end. And there are usually more elegant ways of achieving those ends.

It's worth going to extraordinary lengths to achieve greatness, to contribute to humanity. And such people get famous in the process. But fame for fame's sake... you mean like a Kardashian? Notoriety is overrated; our species will forget us in a century or two.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Your score: 0%

Please choose the answer that is the most correct choice.

A. Fame>demise
B. ENTP>INTJ
C. Milk chocolate>dark chocolate
D. Intelligence<looks

Your answer: A. Fame>demise
Correct answer: B. ENTP>INTJ

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Your score: 0%

Please choose the answer that is the most correct choice.

A. Fame>demise
B. ENTP>INTJ
C. Milk chocolate>dark chocolate
D. Intelligence<looks

Your answer: A. Fame>demise
Correct answer: B. ENTP>INTJ

Apparently you have entirely too much time on your hands.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I know it would take you 10 minutes to come up with that, but I finished it in 1. :tongue:

And that's why you're awesome.

But I had bacon the other day, and I bet you didn't. Who's more awesome now?

RE the OP:

Well, people that commit crimes and such in hopes of being on TV, especially those that stage crimes like kidnapping come to mind.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And that's why you're awesome.

But I had bacon the other day, and I bet you didn't. Who's more awesome now?

I am awesome.

I have bacon nearly every week. Sometimes multiple times a week. How often do you have it?

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I am awesome.

I have bacon nearly every week. Sometimes multiple times a week. How often do you have it?

Not nearly as often.:dry:

But hey, I'm having this conversation with an awesome person. That's awesome enough, I suppose.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not nearly as often.:dry:

But hey, I'm having this conversation with an awesome person. That's awesome enough, I suppose.

And my dad makes delicious eggs and potatoes to go with it. That's what's up. Oh, don't forget toast and jam, and hot coffee.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
And my dad makes delicious eggs and potatoes to go with it. That's what's up. Oh, don't forget toast and jam, and hot coffee.

No need to show off, or anything.

Oh wait, you're an ENTP. :alttongue:

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Suck my Pness.

Gladly, if you make me some deviled eggs.

Or bacon will also do, I suppose. It has to be done perfectly though, so its sort of chewy yet sort of crunchy.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Gladly, if you make me some deviled eggs.

Or bacon will also do, I suppose. It has to be done perfectly though, so its sort of chewy yet sort of crunchy.

Deviled? Why deviled?

Pft, perfectly? My bacon would always be perfect!!!

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Deviled? Why deviled?

Pft, perfectly? My bacon would always be perfect!!!

Why deviled? Because evil simply cannot taste any better.

Really. If I were to taste something better, the evil would drain out of me, and then I'd have to live with being...nice.:unsure:

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why deviled? Because evil simply cannot taste any better.

Really. If I were to taste something better, the evil would drain out of me, and then I'd have to live with being...nice.:unsure:

Did an ISFP really just make that statement? I call BS.

Mole

Permabanned
The Attention Economy

We live in the Attention Economy.

We live in the Attention Economy because attention is scarce; we compete for attention. And so we economise on attention.

And how do we pay in the Attention Economy?

We pay attention.

The attention rich are the celebrities, who garner the attention of millions. The celebrities are our new millionaires.

Whereas, we are the attention poor, and must pay attention to one another.

And how greedy we are for attention, and how we envy the attention given to others.

We could, though, increase the attention pie by learning to listen to one another.

xisnotx

Permabanned
I'm not famous and probably never will be, but I'd be lying to myself if I said the idea doesn't intrigue me. It's certainly a motivator...something I think has to do more with my E type than my mbti type. In this way, it seems, the systems clash...yet I can see how it works for me.

As for what means I'd pursue fame with (simply for the sake of fame), I do not know. I don't have any discernible talents...and really I'm quite a boring person once the initial glow wears off. In this way, I'm strange.

But, I find pursuing fame for fame's sake is an activity that is, overall, justifiable. People are motivated by different things. Money, Power, Love...and I've always just assumed those things didn't really matter to me at the end of the day...or rather, were achievable with the right amount of effort and appropriate strategy. Fame, I think, doesn't work like that...you don't have all the answers, and its achievability is something that isn't wholly dependent on you. Perhaps, rather unhealthily, pursing fame to prove to myself that my existence isn't completely futile is my main motivation. It enables you to define yourself however you wish to define yourself, but through others. If my existence is significant to other people, the masses, then who am I to say that I don't think my existence means all that much? It means something to other people...and it's a selfish person who wouldn't be moved in some way by that. These thoughts constantly plague me, and have quite honestly lead me to do things I regret. But, it's all a growing process, I think.

And like the op title says, there is a sort of lasting immortality that comes from being a celebrity. Fame (though perhaps still a shallow value to want) is no less shallow, I don't think, than any other value. It has intrinsic value.

Beyond happiness, I mean. Happiness being by definition the value wanted above all others.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
B. ENTP>INTJ
D. Intelligence<looks

2176760095_7f3006e5f6.jpg

KDude

I can't think of anything worth being famous about. It'd be cool to be recognized for being some pioneer or having a special set of skills, but I wouldn't know what those were, personally. Definitely not entertainment. I think it's kind of sad that most fame revolves around that (not that I don't like it. I'm a musician myself. It's just overblown). What would be really cool is being famous like Neil Armstrong or Christopher Columbus. Maybe 500 years in the future, someone will do it again. As for other people, I don't know anyone who talks about being famous. I'm sure I wouldn't hang around for long.