• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mo' money, Mo' problems?

H

Hate

:thinking:

Agree?

Disagree?

That’s my philosophical topic contribution for today.

*Remember to click like and subscribe.

tumblr_lsuy97nXk31qg14pco1_500m.jpg

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
more money, different types of problems... like who you leave it to in the will or who's campaign to contribute to as opposed to "what can I buy to eat for today with $3.74?" :thinking:

H

Hate

more money, different types of problems... like who you leave it to in the will or who's campaign to contribute to as opposed to "what can I buy to eat for today with $3.74?" :thinking:

I hear you're pretty well off nowadays.

Could you add me to your will?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I hear you're pretty well off nowadays.

Could you add me to your will?

I don't bother pondering wills... when I die I want for there to be a reality television worthy fight over my assets just so that I can watch it later wherever or whatever I am :devil:

you should visit... I'll make you a steak! :cheese:

KDude

I've never had enough money for it to be a "problem". If I did, I don't think I'd be particularly extravagant or do something that just entailed a more complicated life or more bills and maintenance. Life would improve, but I'd still keep it simple.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Disagree completely.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Apparently more relative wealth makes you happier up to a point and then it sort of plateaus. I don't see any evidence that it ever actually hurts to have more money.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Choices:
10 thousand dollars or 100 thousand dollars
100 thousand dollars or 1 million dollars
1 million dollars or 10 million dollars
10 million dollars or 100 million dollars
100 million dollars or 1 billion dollars

Bolded = Less problems. Best pick when you completely put your ego aside - which is almost impossible anyways, so don't worry much about it. I believe that, given the chance, most people would be as greedy as they could be.

KDude

Bolded = Less problems. Best pick when you completely put your ego aside - which is almost impossible anyways, so don't worry much about it. I believe that, given the chance, most people would be as greedy as they could be.

I don't think greed was the issue.. Or was it? I just thought it'd be problematic if you bought a lot of unnecessary crap. Do I really need a 40 room mansion? No, I don't. Too much work. So I wouldn't buy one if I could pay for it anyways.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think greed was the issue.. Or was it?
Past a certain ammount of money you'd have to worry too much about security (against kidnapping, stealing, etc) - without enough benefits in quality of life to offset this concern. That said, greed would play a role on some choices - more money isn't always the best option.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the biggest problem many people have in getting rich is the shock of realizing that it doesn't make you any happier than before. Then you have to restructure your values, find more potential answers to your lack of bliss, or just try to forget your unhappiness. Wherever you go, there you are.

G

garbage

I think the biggest problem many people have in getting rich is the shock of realizing that it doesn't make you any happier than before. Then you have to restructure your values, find more potential answers to your lack of bliss, or just try to forget your unhappiness. Wherever you go, there you are.
Pretty much. We adjust to new standards of living and even to new levels of happiness. Classic hedonic treadmill business, right there.

If more money causes someone more problems, it's because they're disappointed that their money doesn't bring them lasting pleasure, because they allowed that money to increase their baseline standard of living and cause them stress in trying to maintain it, because they're still not satisfied and it becomes more and more complicated to manage, because others found out about it and now they have a bunch of "fake" friends, and so on.

One can still maintain a simple, stress-free lifestyle if he's got a lot of money.. it's just that many choose not to do so.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Success does not necessarily equal money. Success is self defined, or at least it should be.

There is a difference between having personal success, and being successful.

The tendency I've seen here is to define success in a way that makes it accessible to most everyone, not in the way the world defines it.

I think that you guys are describing living a happy and fulfilling life, but not necessarily a successful one.

Success is relative. For all those that get that promotion, there are five others that didn't.

For all those start ups that find a market need and fill it (capturing market share), there are probably 100 that don't.

To define success in a manner that relieves it of exclusivity (achievement relative to others), destroys the term's social utility as an incentive for greater competition and innovation.

Surely everyone (to an extent) deserves to be happy.

But not everyone deserves to be successful, and in the way you define it, most of the populace would qualify.

If your definition success is used, if society stops viewing success as a zero sum game, we lose the motivating ability of competition to drive innovation.

When our kids ask us if they can be president, we say yes hoping that the possibility drives them to habits of excellence and achievement.

If society considers a janitor as successful as the inventor of the first artificial heart, we lose the incentive to put the time and effort into driving innovation.

If society respects the achievement of being a cashier micky d's as much as becoming a neurosurgeon, fewer people will become neurosurgeons.

Thus for me, more money does not equate to more problems.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The tendency I've seen here is to define success in a way that makes it accessible to most everyone, not in the way the world defines it.

I think that you guys are describing living a happy and fulfilling life, but not necessarily a successful one.

Success is relative. For all those that get that promotion, there are five others that didn't.

For all those start ups that find a market need and fill it (capturing market share), there are probably 100 that don't.

To define success in a manner that relieves it of exclusivity (achievement relative to others), destroys the term's social utility as an incentive for greater competition and innovation.

Surely everyone (to an extent) deserves to be happy.

But not everyone deserves to be successful, and in the way you define it, most of the populace would qualify.

If your definition success is used, if society stops viewing success as a zero sum game, we lose the motivating ability of competition to drive innovation.

When our kids ask us if they can be president, we say yes hoping that the possibility drives them to habits of excellence and achievement.

If society considers a janitor as successful as the inventor of the first artificial heart, we lose the incentive to put the time and effort into driving innovation.

If society respects the achievement of being a cashier micky d's as much as becoming a neurosurgeon, fewer people will become neurosurgeons.

Thus for me, more money does not equate to more problems.

Fi vs Fe? In anycase, it's a personal choice to take on the idea of success touted by your society, or at least it *can be* a personal choice. I'm perfectly fine in saying that there are two type of success, personal and societal. I know which one actually matters to me.

Nales

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
More money = more problems, yes. Obviously you need enough to make a reasonably comfortable living, but after that you attract jealously and become suspicious (are they your friend because of you or your money?), and more importantly - you can never be satisfied. Success is dangerously addictive, and money is no exception. And since humans generally have a hedonistic nature, you also start indulging on drugs, alcohol, sexual conquests... you're using that money to throw away your health, your friends, and your hope for a family. Just look at celebrities in general.

If I suddenly won a few millions at the lottery, I'd donate all of it to the Red Cross or something.