• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How it is to be an atheist?

Lark

I dont think that atheism provokes any sort of reaction among any of the people I know, its pretty accepted and widespread, there are a great many "anonymous atheists" that I know who have not reached a conclusion of a philosophical sort but from their behaviour it is clear they are non-believers.

Their actions speak volumes, the spiritual side of their lives is either denied, non-existent or repressed, sometimes if it does get an airing in their consciousness it takes the shape of esoteric or foreign belief systems but never anything which requires that much commitment, features a deity or is difficult to dispense with or abandon at a moments notice.

If people express non-belief in the company of believers it is generally accepted, there is not even the sense of disappointment or pity this would once have evoked for many of my dad's generation, that's just one generation removed, when people who adopted atheism where mainly those who had lost hope, couldnt take heart and despaired one way or another.

There are nuisance preachers or evangelists, most of them attack Roman Catholics as much as atheists, in fact more often that is how the divide operates, at least in Northern Ireland and there are thriving congregations which exist through which people are able to give vent to or channel their hostility towards people who believe things differently from themselves (most of these individuals I have discovered do not have a great understanding of their own beliefs themselves and have not read or understood many of the thinkers upon whom their creeds are supposedly founded).

Nicodemus

The only people who know about it are my closet friends [...]
Ah, you have those too. It figures!

My other younger has since softened on his opinion of my atheism but when I first came out he threatened me with physical violence if I ever "bad mouthed Jesus".

Over all, my life as an atheist is a relatively quiet one but then that's because I keep it to myself. If I were more open about it, I imagine it would get really complicated and frankly I prefer my life to be relatively quiet and simple.
So sometimes, in the country of the blind, the one-eyed man pretends to be blind as well.

Elfa

Señora Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Personally, I think it's pretty incovenient.

Yeah, it may be incovenient sometimes, but I just can't not be true to myself. I accept the consequences. And I say some expressions envolving God, and I take them only as expressions.

1-How it is to be an atheist?
It's ok. I like it.

2- Have you ever gotten in a less favorable situation because of it?
I've met two people who weren't very sympathetic... They seemed a little awkward after knowing I was atheist, and they were very religious. One of them just mocked me a little and went to talk about something else. The other one was my piano teacher, she asked me if I believed in God, and I said I didn't. She said she was sure I must haven't had really thought about it, because it was obvious there is a God. I didn't say anything else, and neither did she... Still, I got a little offended. Yes, I did spend a lot of my time thinking about it, doing research and talking about it with some people. My family isn't very religious, but I had actually a lot of contact with christians my whole life, in school, and a lot with the scouts.

Last month, I attended to a class at a catholic church, because I was going to be my cousin's godmother, and I felt very weird to hear the priest saying the worst thing that could happen to someone is to become atheist. And also being almost the only person who knew the answers of his questions about the bible. '-' But that was okay, I knew I was in the wrong place anyway... I just felt like a liar by being there, an atheist in the middle of those catholics, but I was making my aunt a favor, and I was happy for being my cousin's godmother, so I went and everything went better than expected. ^^

3-Are you open about about it?
Yes, I think I am.

4-Do your family and co-workers know it?
Yes, they do. When they ask, I say it, with no problem.
But only when they directly ask me. Otherwise, I avoid expressing my atheism.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't believe it works like this in France at all. People here aren't very interested in religion, I remember seeing that our population is about 1/3 religious, 1/3 atheist, 1/3 agnostic. I almost never mention being an atheist (nor does anyone ask me or care about it). It's the same for most of western Europe, I think.
I know America is more religious than we are, but is it that much? Or is Brazil an even different case?
Yeah, it's similar here in New Zealand and, I believe, also in Australia. There isn't any prejudice against atheists, and religion isn't discussed all that openly. People are mostly pretty quiet about their faith or lack thereof - there don't hide it, but they don't bring it up all that much.

1-How it is to be an atheist? Have you ever gotten in a less favorable situation because of it?
No big deal. It doesn't affect me.

2-Are you open about about it? Do your family and co-workers know it?
Like I said above, people don't discuss this much in NZ. If you asked me, I would be happy to state my belief, but I don't feel the need to shout it from the roof tops.

I do think, however, that I would be uncomfortable talking about it if I lived in a place where people think less of you for being atheist. I admit I got pretty freaked out reading the statistics in the articles people posted about America. Especially this:

only 34% of Americans have at least a mostly favorable attitude towards atheists; 52% have a mostly unfavorable or worse attitude
:shock:

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1-How it is to be an atheist? Have you ever gotten in a less favorable situation because of it?

I'm answering as someone who identified as an atheist from the age of 19 to about 41. But somewhere in my late 20's, or early 30's, I started ascribing Godly qualities to The Universe, which, in retrospect, basically ended my tenure as a true atheist, although I called myself one until 41.

I do not get in less-favorable situations. Every situation is given to me for a reason.

But no, being an atheist versus theist didn't necessarily bring me different circumstances, just a different awareness of, and certain appreciation for, those circumstances.

2-Are you open about about it? Do your family and co-workers know it?[/B]

With my close friends first. Family second (as my parents were/are either religious or were believers). Acquaintances rarely--I kept it under wraps, especially professionally, as most of my clients were/are Christian.

I think the main problem is religion, not whether you are a believer or not. I think most of us agree that the most judgmental of people tend to be church-going Christians, while I'd have to say I know many seeming altruists who are atheists. That is why I DID try to hide my atheism from Christians; I found myself often judged, which is highly ironic, being as Jesus taught only God, and Himself, can judge.

Being a believer for me just means I'm more in touch with God and it brings a reverence to my life that I lacked previously, even when I ascribed Godly qualities to The Universe.

G

Ginkgo

Over the past 5 years I have alternated between being a theist, an atheist, a deist, an agnostic, and all areas in between. The loneliest path I ever took was the atheistic one. In fact, I'm not even sure I would have been so privy of the internet today if I had never relied on online communities of atheists for a sense of acceptance.

There are reasons on all fronts why any position of belief would be uncomfortable - social discontent, sense of integrity, rationality, and sense of intellectual honesty are all compelling forces in the life of one who is trying to establish what they believe, not to mention the basic emotional perks that come packaged in believing or disbelieving. Social forces are probably the strongest influence, since they dictate an atmosphere of information and acceptance, dwarfing the sense of self-acceptance and individual thinking most people could ever develop independently while shaping how rationality plays out. Even if the influences backfire, they tend to affect people just as deeply, if not deeper; every push can push back, rationality can be brought against any idea, and any idea can be praised.

The most independent variable is what people really want to believe in the first place, and from there all other things flow.

xisnotx

Permabanned
I decided to stop being an atheist for the sake of my sanity. So, I guess, in my experience it was rather horrible.

Now my religious views can be summed up by "meh". It's a lot easier on the psyche.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I consider myself an agnostic, not an atheist. I think there is a possibility some God or higher power exists but more than likely not.
I'll answer anyway.

1) How it is to be an atheist?

In some ways I like it because I can think for myself and not blindly believe what some religion is shoving down my throat. The thing is sometimes, I really wish for the existence of a God or some higher power. Someone who help me get through difficult times and an afterlife is certainly appealing. But just because you want to be believe something is true doesn't mean it is. There just is no solid scientific evidence for God or higher powers. In a weird way, I sort of envy the religious people because they seem sure of their beliefs and have faith that things work out in the end and in an afterlife. I guess being agnostic makes me more in touch with reality- there is evil in the world, innocent people die all the time while evil survives. I do find death unsettling because I believe when you die, that's it but that knowledge makes me try to live the most fulfilling life now because I assume its the only one I'll get.

Have you ever gotten in a less favorable situation because of it?

No, except it makes it awkward when conversing with highly religious people.

Are you open about about it?

Only on the Internet. In the real world, there seems to be a stigma about it so I keep it secret unless I can trust the person won't judge me for it.

Do your family and co-workers know it?

I haven't openly admitted it to my family but I think they suspect it because I don't go to church and don't bring up religious topics.

My co-workers don't know. Don't ask, don't tell.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Can you believe it? It's rather the kiss of death. Atheists were targeted during the Red Scare of the 50's too, along with homosexuals and artists and communists (who were often simultaneously referred to as atheists as part of labeling them an enemy of the state).

Mitt Romney will suffer some damage in the upcoming elections due to being a Mormon, which many protestant Christians seem to label as a cult, but he's still better off not being an atheist. obama has also take a decent amount of politic damage during his tenure from the conservatives, who keep insinuating he's not "really a Christian." Belief in a monotheistic god of SOME sort seems to be the standard in the US, whether one is a Christian or a Deist or whatever...
Unfortunately all quite true. It is almost as bad to follow "the wrong religion", though, as to be atheist or agnostic. Anything that strays from the straight and narrow of mainstream Christianity, or in some circles Judaism.

G

garbage

- A lot of theists assume you believe in God (''dood, just trust in God and everything will be fine'').
- Theists seem to demand words of comfort involving the word ''God'' when they lose someone dear to them.
If I reframe 'God' as 'the workings of the universe' or 'unleashing one's inner light,' these still apply--but they apply in a way that, in my assessment, is much more true and meaningful. For example, the reason why 'trusting in God' is such a stress relief is because relinquishing psychological control is a major stress relief.

I'd regard myself as a pantheist (ooh, and also a bit of an "igtheist"). If there is a God, it's ineffable. It describes 'the thing that we should ideally connect to on a deep and personal level but don't really know how to do so.'

But, whatever. For all intents and purposes, I stand far enough away from most mainstream religions' views on God that I may as well be considered an atheist--at least, to those who hold those views.

How it is to be an atheist? Have you ever gotten in a less favorable situation because of it?
I subtly manipulate those who (a) I don't trust to think that I'm a good person without belonging to their religion and who (b) have some decent control over some aspect of my life. I don't lie to them--but I can talk about 'God,' for sure, so I can relate to them and often have them assume that I'm a Christian. I would ideally be more open and honest (see below), and perhaps I will be with time.

It's also unfortunate that most personal development groups are centered around specific religions. That hasn't stopped me from participating in them (or in mission trips, actually..) but I feel that I would get much more out of them if we dropped the whole 'religion' thing from them.

Other than that, I don't feel cheated.

Are you open about about it?
When asked, when I'm in trustworthy, open-minded company, or when someone is belittling a non-Christian religion or atheism, definitely yes. If we can 'come out of the closet,' we raise awareness that we're not so bad. Screw the potential personal consequences; the 'cause' is more important.

My interfaith group is largely a collection of Christians and Muslims who pride themselves on trying to understand one another. I am not afraid of chiming in with a perspective that's quite different from theirs but that is still somewhat relatable to them--and I often do.

Do your family and co-workers know it?
My immediate family does, but they don't quite grasp my thoughts. They're not particularly religious, so they don't particularly care.

It doesn't come up in conversations with coworkers, but I'm sure it could. I've revealed much worse about myself in a work setting.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
...(most of these individuals I have discovered do not have a great understanding of their own beliefs themselves and have not read or understood many of the thinkers upon whom their creeds are supposedly founded).

That tends to be the way with most supremeist, whether the foundation of their beleif is religion, race or social class. Hell, understanding stuff gets in the way of defining yourself as bette than everyone else.

redacted

Hmm, I can't think of anything really significant that's happened from people's bias against me except some awkwardness here and there and maybe some hurt feelings in debate. Once people get to know me they generally respect my value system.

When I went to rehab in 2006 it was definitely the first time I felt like I was around people that had blatantly contradictory views to me. A few days in I was talking to some people about evolution or something and realized none of them believed in it. I earned the nickname "Darwin" after that. We all still got along, though.

2-Are you open about about it? Do your family and co-workers know it?[/B]

I've never tried to hide it. My family definitely knows (I used to be kind of in-your-face about it as a teenager), and any of my coworkers who I've talked to about enough personal stuff know.

My life just seems much better being an atheist than not. Well, actually, I have no idea how to even imagine myself as not an atheist as it's so intertwined in the way I think about the world. The way I try to think is centered around the idea of trying to falsify everything and picking the last views standing -- don't know how God could survive that.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I think most of us agree that the most judgmental of people tend to be church-going Christians

I think that a more accurate way to say this is that the most judgmental people are the ones who have the least (socially, financially) to lose by being judgmental -- and in most of the US, this happens to be church-going Christians. That's not to imply that most church-going Christians are judgmental -- most are not -- but those that are, are able to be more public about it without as heavy a corresponding loss in social/financial status.

I don't really describe myself as an atheist (I would tend to prefer the more low-key and non-loaded term "non-religious"), but by any reasonable definition I am one. So, my answers...

I think that it can be somewhat isolating (although I've found that Magic's statement that being a non-drinker comes up more often, and in more exclusionary ways, than being non-religious does). I grew up in a very religious community, and my family was not a member of this religion. It did limit my social opportunities -- but truth be told I wouldn't have been Mr. Social anyway. But I think that socially, I'd have had more opportunities and support if I shared more in common with most of the people whom I grew up with. But in terms of blatant "Get lost, you stinking heathen" type responses? No. It doesn't come up that much, and when it does, it tends to evoke a response of light condescension or pity, and not anything much worse.

2-Are you open about about it? Do your family and co-workers know it?

I'm not open about it at all. My family might know -- they know that I don't attend church, and likely know that I have no interest in doing so, but it's never come up as an actual topic of conversation. I have a few friends who know (they asked outright), and quite a few more who could probably guess, but I make a habit of not volunteering that sort of information. Too much to lose, and little to gain unless you know someone really well.

Co-workers... a dangerous area for me. I've actually had my boss make some sort of comment like "you're not one of those atheists, are you, *hahahaha*?" where it was obvious that he considered the possibility humorous and semi-insult-teasing. I didn't respond, and I think he got the point that it wasn't something I was going to discuss. Most of my other co-workers are religious -- not particularly outwardly so, but in idle chit-chat they often talk about church stuff, church sports leagues, etc. I just stay quiet, which isn't all that unusual for me anyway.

Last edited:

redacted

Agnostic >atheist/thiest

Disbeleif and beleif are the exact same entity just polar opposites. you don't have to place yourself on any side of the spectrum folks You can just find content in knowing you don't know. And maybe explore within yourself rather then judge other doctrins. Look within yourself for truth and you might find truth everywhere you look. But if you do not look within yourself you will find disbeleif and beleif everywhere you look. The world is not black and white

I consider myself an agnostic, not an atheist. I think there is a possibility some God or higher power exists but more than likely not.
I'll answer anyway.

I have a feeling I'm defining atheist in a different way than you guys who are labeling yourself agnostic...

It's one thing to say that I don't have 100% or 0% confidence in my beliefs. In this sense, I'm agnostic about many many things. My confidence that God doesn't exist is slightly less than 100%.

But unless you're somewhere around 50% confidence, it seems like what you "believe" is just the side that you lean towards. I'll use a cliche line of reasoning -- I'm not 100% confident that the earth orbits the sun (I haven't actually looked through telescopes and done the math), but I believe that the earth orbits the sun. Technically, I'm agnostic about whether the earth orbits the sun. But if someone were to ask me if I believe that the earth orbits the sun, I would say yes. In the same sense, I believe that there is not a God. So I'm both an atheist and technically agnostic as well. I would say almost all atheists are agnostic according to this reasoning.

I don't actually see how agnosticism is an answer to the question "do you believe in God?". It's a yes or no question. "I don't know" doesn't actually answer anything, it just sidesteps the question.

Basically what I'm saying is agnosticism doesn't lie on the spectrum between atheism and belief in God. It's not a point that exists in that dimension.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Part I. “We must be able to use and learn critical thinking skills and take no dogma whether religious or political. The truth is within us. No man is a god no matter his credentials. Nor, is any religious text infallible. Humans wrote all religious texts, and humans are fallible. Learn to think for yourself. This and hearing the feedback of others will help us grow.

This instead of being stuck in dogma that on one hand has universal truths, but yet at the same time is behind the times. I believe in a universal force, which helps to tie the universe together. Ultimately, I think we are energy as well as chemical beings. I am agnostic, existentialist, humanist, and feminist with other attributes.

Each will believe that what they believe is true. I have learned the hard way not to trust the emotions. I am much more into science. I use the analogy that day is true. Night is true. I feel everyone has a tie to this universal wisdom. Each is flawed. We need each other to balance out the discrepancies in our logic.

Feel inside for the god or goddess you really are. We are connected to the universe; make no mistake about that this. Reach out to the energy that seems to bind all of us. It is your energy and your desire that directs and taps into this universal consciousness, which is apparently asleep.

It is your desire. Your fundamental energy tied to the universe that directs and channels change, as well as metamorphosis. Realize and become free. Do not seek a miracle, for you are the miracle and divine. You are the power. We are connected. But one needs will, focus, and not rely on an external source that will do the work for you. You are the maker of your destiny."

Part II. I think that anything that cannot be explained as of yet is attributed to god. There is so much that we don't know. It is the unknown. It causes us distress. We need an explanation our curious mind with its curiosity needs to know, and to classify things both to make ourselves feel better & to explain it to others. Our wonderful creative brain fills in the blanks. We use metaphors to describe things we may not know the truth of. These metaphors are written down. People hold on to it to explain reality. It is taken as truth.

God or Goddess is varied and means very different things to varied people. No one can say. We do not have the capacity to grasp God, all we can do is have a belief system and work from that point. It is so disturbing and anger provoking to see humankind squabble over what they don't have a clue. I do so like eastern philosophy in that there being different roads, as well paths up a mountain.

Or across an ocean that is a human consciousness. This is in stark contrast with the Western monotheistic religions of Christianity, Judaism, and Zoroastrianism as well Islam. I say let each live their path.

Now there is the phenomenon of deep meditative states where tne experiences interconnectedness with the oneness of the universe. One can label that God. There is no direct truth. There are inferences and suppositions. However one can feel that there is a god, and therefore there is a God.

I will humbly make this statement, what I think, feel, believe passionately may be wrong. I may be wrong and not know it. Now the reverse is true. Those that believe may be wrong. I guess to me it goes back on how we lead our individual lives. There are evil Christians and evil atheists. There are good Christians and good atheists. This matters to me.

I will, I do not know how far one should go in this convoluted and dangerous direction. I shall expound a little on mysticism. Like I say, my belief is we are interconnected. So if one loses themself, and let's go, there is a heady rush. People ascribe this phenomenon to God. I believe that it has a scientific explanation. But this powerful felt heady euphoria is experienced in all the branches of religion; Kabbalah, Sufism, etc. I will just describe the apparent phenomenon and not label it anything, currently.

I equate it sort of as love. Feeling in love is heady, and quite fascinating. Make of it what you will. A thing I do acknowledge is that an experience such as feeling saved, or feeling and being in love is a profound feeling. Some shall describe it as being connected to the almighty or to a universal consciousness, or state of oneness.

A believer will not in any way convince a non-believer with using reason, for it is felt. I am of the belief that it is incorrectly labeled as coming from a higher power. A nonbeliever will conversely be unable to convince a devout believer to ascribe with agnosticism. Let's live, love each other and leave every one alone. I'm not talking to you, it just happens to be my stance when religion arises.

"Half the people in the world think that the metaphors of their religious traditions, for example, are facts. And the other half contends that they are not facts at all. As a result we have people who consider themselves believers because they accept metaphors as facts, and we have others who classify themselves as atheists because they think religious metaphors are lies.” Joseph Campbel

“I am an idealist who tries to think with rational reasoning, free of distortions to the best of my ability. I don't know if man will always be insane as well as fighting each other. It makes no sense to certain segments of the population. All we can do is implement changes. It is a slow process. I think the dinosaurs were here for 160,000,000 years. We are still infants. That can give us hope. Evolution and moral consciousness is an extremely slow process.

No wonder there are so many cults. Their problem is that they circumvent freedom & individuality. But what about (I'm being a little facetious here) a new planned society. A new "religion" & or brand new philosophy that actually works. Right now, none of the religions are working effectively enough to counteract the ignorance of the human species.

Let's start a brand new society based on non-negative energy and some of your wise choices. Come on. Let's do it. Let's create a society that ‘functions’ & that bring flow to the people. Do not go into superstition & fear. Believe in yourselves. We are interconnected, of that it is certain. What is not certain is the evidence of a Devil. This is misguided. We were as children around a campfire. We told stories of what we could not understand. So we made up monsters, in every culture. The Devil is unreal, a total fiction. There is no reason to fear the invisible non-being of something that does not exist.

We are the makers of our destiny & not god, neither devil. So why do we do evil & ignorant things. It is internal. We have internal distortions of thought. Throw in pain. We must heal. How so we do that exactly. Because we are so different, there are many approaches. It is finding something that will work. It isn’t easy. There are course corrections.” LightSun

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't actually see how agnosticism is an answer to the question "do you believe in God?". It's a yes or no question. "I don't know" doesn't actually answer anything, it just sidesteps the question.

I agree with your post, but I must say that maybe and bullshit are both perfectly viable answers to a yes/no question.

Maybe: It could be one or the other but it's not clear which.
Bullshit: The question itself makes no sense, yes, no, and maybe are all incorrect answers.

I don't know is just a maybe.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=13260]Rasofy[/MENTION]- I'm not an atheist, but where I live, it isn't that weird to be one.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you american?

Yeah. I know a fair number of atheists, agnostics, and Christians alike.

It isn't really awkward for them and no one assumes anyone believes in God (except in certain areas).

FWIW I am agnostic because I have a hard time with faith of any sort.

redacted

I agree with your post, but I must say that maybe and bullshit are both perfectly viable answers to a yes/no question.

Maybe: It could be one or the other but it's not clear which.
Bullshit: The question itself makes no sense, yes, no, and maybe are all incorrect answers.

I don't know is just a maybe.

Howabout this: it's a response, but not (directly) an answer. :)