• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Twenty-First Century: Will the Catholic Church finally end?

A

A window to the soul

You're one of the strangest people here, when it comes to projections. Half of your posts are emotionally charged and accusing people of "projecting" something on to you. It seems to be your biggest pet peeve.. Yet, it's what you do to others. It's at a comical level, just how often.
lolz, no way.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Unfortunately? I believe I will think differently about you after this post.

How easy it is to discount all the good that religion has done, how hard it is to remember and acknowledge.

The unfortunately is directed at the OP. I also included every religion but you must have missed that.

KDude

lolz, no way.

It's at a point where people can't even enter a thread with Lark, say something in support of his general concerns, and yet.. still find the guy go aggro. The funny thing is that I might be his closest ally, next to you, in this thread.

So yeah, it's comical.

A

A window to the soul

It's at a point where people can't even enter a thread with Lark, say something in support of his general concerns, and yet.. still find the guy go aggro. The funny thing is that I might be his closest ally, next to you, in this thread.

So yeah, it's comical.

Naw, I think he's very much in control of his emotions. It's obvious he does a lot of reading. He's articulate. He's respectful.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lark and his sidekick Nerd Girl. How lovely.

Any religious/Catholic thread is almost immediately derailed by the same old spiels. Can we get back to the OP?

KDude

Naw, I think he's very much in control of his emotions. It's obvious he does a lot of reading. He's articulate. He's respectful.

I don't doubt that he reads. That has nothing to do with emotions though. He doesn't control them. My original post directed to him was just trying to help recognize that the OP was just analyzing trends. He read a lot of suspicion in it, and went on a tangent about how offensive it was. And when I addressed him about it, it seemed like he wanted to think I was opposed to him as well. I didn't even say anything about his idealogy. Just his focus... and yet, he assumed I was trying to "reinforce my prejudices" too.

I probably don't have the prejudice he thinks I have (not entirely at least). The truth is that I agree with some of the points he's making about some of the RCC's virtues. And I also know some of the finer points he's making in past history, like with Calvin and Geneva.

Anyways, I'll leave it at that. I already said what I think. The Catholic church probably isn't disappearing anytime soon.

A

A window to the soul

I don't doubt that he reads. That has nothing to do with emotions though. He doesn't control them. My original post directed to him was just trying to help recognize that the OP was just analyzing trends. He read a lot of suspicion in it, and went on a tangent about how offensive it was. And when I addressed him about it, it seemed like he wanted to think I was opposed to him as well. I didn't even say anything about his idealogy. Just his focus... and yet, he assumed I was trying to "reinforce my prejudices" too.

I probably don't have the prejudice he thinks I have. The truth is that I agree with some of the points he's making about some of the RCC's virtues. And I also know some of the finer points he's making in past history, like with Calvin and Geneva.

Anyways, I'll leave it at that. I already said what I think. The Catholic church probably isn't disappearing anytime soon.
Honestly, the OP doesn't consider pertinent facts that I'd like to believe are obvious to most of us, so when I read it, I thought, "who's he kidding?"

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Honestly, the OP doesn't consider pertinent facts that I'd like to believe are obvious to most of us, so when I read it, I thought, "who's he kidding?"

What are the pertinent facts he isn't considering?

S

Sniffles

One paradoxical sign seen throughout history that the Catholic Church will survive is when everybody saids it's on the verge of dying. They said that with the fall of Rome, they said that during the 10th century, they said it in the 16th century. They especially said it in 1799 when Napoleon's armies marched into Rome and deposed Pope Pius VI. Napoleon even later on had his successor Pius VII arrested held as his personal prisoner.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm with you. It's sad to see that.

I didn't get that. He's just giving his opinion [based on the facts] and leveling the playing field. He doesn't sound emotional.

lolz, no way.

They've already been mentioned. Please see the discussion on page 1 of the thread.

I find this well known fact compelling:
Catholicism - The largest Christian denomination in the world. (1.2 billion members.)

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations_by_number_of_members

Um again, what are the pertinent facts he isn't considering that you mentioned on page 1?

Nicodemus

One paradoxical sign seen throughout history that the Catholic Church will survive is when everybody saids it's on the verge of dying. They said that with the fall of Rome, they said that during the 10th century, they said it in the 16th century. They especially said it in 1799 when Napoleon's armies marched into Rome and deposed Pope Pius VI. Napoleon even later on had his successor Pius VII arrested held as his personal prisoner.
They said it for different reasons, though. This time, fortunately, the foundational hoax is in danger.

I doubt this century will see the end of the catholic church, but if it does, it will only be the end of the faith department: the church is also one of the largest real estate owners in the world. If, then, the church sold all that property, it might actually do some good with the money.

A

A window to the soul

Um again, what are the pertenent facts he isn't considering that you mentioned on page 1?
Do you realize you are coming across as "playing dumb"?

The key pertinent fact is that the Catholic church is the largest church in the world. It's not going anywhere.

I referred you to the "discussion" on page 1 for additional facts (*not* my posts).

Last edited:
S

Sniffles

"The Catholic Church is an institution I am bound to hold divine, but for unbelievers, here is proof of its divinity, that no merely human institution run with such knavish imbecility would have lasted a fortnight."
--Hilaire Belloc

Nicodemus

"Temples and churches, pagodas and mosques, in all lands and in all ages, in splendour and vastness, testify to the metaphysical need of man, which, strong and ineradicable, follows hard on his physical need. Certainly, if satirically inclined, one might add that this metaphysical need is a modest fellow who makes do with poor fare. At times, he contents himself with clumsy fables and insipid tales: if only imprinted early enough, they are to him sufficient explanations for his existence and pillars for his morality."
-- Arthur Schopenhauer