• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

no hope = no fear. no fear = no hope?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
That guy on my avatar claims that without hope, there is no fear and i agree:

Id like to point out that im referring to the 'active' hope, the type of that a person has in him, not the 'passive' hope, which the person is unaware and is caused by environment. Like "i hope that im able to impress thi girl", not "there is some hope for jack to get a girlfriend".

To what degree do you guys think it works the other way, no fear = no hope? Naturally intense fear without the ability to overcome it, can work as an disadvantage, so its not black and white thing.

Is fear an motivator for hope and hope motivator for fear? Without facing the fear, naturally you lower your chances to get what you hope for.

Do you think that fear and hope are two sides of the same coin?

Anything else come in mind about this?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lack of fear could also mean ignorance. I don't think hope and fear are that connected.
Optimistic people are usually at the same time more hopeful and more fearless.

Last edited:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Fear could also mean ignorance. I don't think hope and fear are that connected.

If you look at optimistic attitude closer, its about repressing/suppressing negative thoughts about outcome(fears) and concentrating on possible positive outcome(hope). So how does this comment of positivity go against the assumption that there is no hope without fear? Lets say that someone has hope, how can he have the hope without repressing/suppressing fear?

Edit. Ups i read that you said fear could mean ignorance.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How does fear mean ignorance?
My mistake, I meant lack of fear. People usually lack fear when they underestimate (ignore) consequences or overestimate (ignore) their abilities.
Also if you look at optimistic attitude closer, its about repressing/suppressing negative thoughts about outcome(fears) and concentrating on possible positive outcome(hope). So how does this comment of positivity go against the assumption that there is no hope without fear? Lets say that someone has hope, how can he have the hope without repressing/suppressing fear?
You don't have supress what you don't consciously focus your awareness at. I just don't think there is a connection at all. In fact, I think the opposite is true: hope is more connected with the absence of fear and vice versa.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anyways, there are scenarios on which your theory does make sense, like extreme depression. That's a case where the abscence of hope can make one not fear death.
It just doesn't seem to be rule. :thinking:

2ch

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Having no hope doesn't necessarily equate no fear. A less equation offering a point of view distant from the extremities might produce another feeling, whether we are consciously aware of it or not.

Munchies

MBTI Type
XNXP
Enneagram
OMG
Instinctual Variant
sx
fear and hope, i think, are two ends of the spectrum. Forget the duality because in essence these both are the same thing. Such as love and hate, and bad and good. It's just a different direction of perception, but with the same emotional tone and connection to reality. (it is just useless imagination)

I see it as "will" as being the center of the fear and hope.

Fear is the motivation to not do, and hope is your motivation not to do either... since you are just in imaginary land. , while your will and determination is your motivation to do. Fear will only destract you from your intentions and will only misguid you. Your constructs are only as perplexed as your will is. Stop thinking i cant, and stop thinking period. Become centered with your ego and your will, and only do what you must do. 100% or nothing. No need to fear or hope anything, because that would mean you are living in imagination. Find out what you want, get it. Do not hope or fear for anything, only act. Hope and fear are emotions and are pretty usless in most cases imo

R

ReflecTcelfeR

A lack of fear could signify a lack of interest; which, could mean hope is no longer required.

LucidLegend1984

MBTI Type
INTJ
Lack of fear could also mean ignorance. I don't think hope and fear are that connected.

Well the opposite is true also. The more knowledgable a person or group is the less fear of the unknown they are becaseu they know more about any given situation. A good example would be teh evolution of religion.

Munchies

MBTI Type
XNXP
Enneagram
OMG
Instinctual Variant
sx
A lack of fear could signify a lack of interest; which, could mean hope is no longer required.

in the direction of hope, is a direction of your interest. In the negative direction of hope; fear, is still propelled by the median of your interest, you. You fear or hope to what you are thinking relative to. Do not think fearfully and you will not fear, same thing with hope.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think that having a lack of hope means you may have a negative perception of life which could inhibit exploration, creativity, freedom, and play necessary to learn the necessary skills to change your circumstances. Fear can be motivating, but eventually the added stress will take its toll and lead to depression.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think that having a lack of hope means you may have a negative perception of life which could inhibit exploration, creativity, freedom, and play necessary to learn the necessary skills to change your circumstances. Fear can be motivating, but eventually the added stress will take its toll and lead to depression.

Isnt this negative perception of life an fearful perception of life?

Also this motivational aspect of fear, isnt it there to push you towards hope?

Now if there wouldnt be fear, wouldnt it also prevent you from pushing towards harder? If so, wouldnt it lower your success(as you dont feel the need try hard enough) and therefore limit your hope, if you are an reasonably realistic person?

So in the end, isnt it just about how we deal with fear, like if we go against our fears, instead of running away of our fears? Go against the fear, success, gain something and will be able to have hope for something even bigger..

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If you are under stress your body will release adrenaline in response to the fear if the fear persists for a prolonged period of time (several months) you will begin producing cexcessive amounts of cortisol which will leave you feeling scattered, withdrawn, and low on energy. Instead of viewing yourself as running from a negative outcome it may help to view yourself as moving toward the positive outcome you are seeking and really viscerally experiencing how great it feels to have attained what you ARE seeking. This will give you the positive motivation to make the changes you want and will leave you feeling a lot better lol