• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is that spot?

Mole

Permabanned
There are two ways of thinking. The first applies reason or logic to an idea or a topic - and it rattles around, really without a purpose - but rather than admitting it is lost, it provokes an argument - it tries to be right - or it defends against criticism.

Of course you can tell it is empty by the very sound of its rattle - so it makes more sound - an argument - to cover up its emptiness.

The second way of thinking starts out inchoate but full - full of feeling. And gradually translates that feeling into words.

But the words are different. The first are bright and quick but leave you unsatisfied while the second are at first hard to understand and are easy to dismiss but somehow they hit the spot.

What is that spot?

Victor.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
:) I just wrote about this in another thread, but if you are willing to replace the word "thinking" with understanding, then I'd say that the spot is where you not only understand but also can relate in a more intuïtive way that is more S and (especially)F'ish.
Sorry to copy this silly metaphore but understaning is something that happens both in brain and gut. The place where they meet, is what "the spot" is to me.

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
There are two ways of thinking. The first applies reason or logic to an idea or a topic - and it rattles around, really without a purpose - but rather than admitting it is lost, it provokes an argument - it tries to be right - or it defends against criticism.

Of course you can tell it is empty by the very sound of its rattle - so it makes more sound - an argument - to cover up its emptiness.

The second way of thinking starts out inchoate but full - full of feeling. And gradually translates that feeling into words.

But the words are different. The first are bright and quick but leave you unsatisfied while the second are at first hard to understand and are easy to dismiss but somehow they hit the spot.

What is that spot?

Victor.

It depends on the feelings, I suppose. If the expressed feelings are angst, boredom, guilt, or rage, the utterance used to express those feelings will be a far cry from those used to express satisfaction, enjoyment, peace, and love.

The relationship between the philosophical and the psychological is very rich. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the subject Victor. (you too mippus--and anyone else).

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Yes, there is an aspect I seem to have missed: the spiritual one. But I don't know what to say about that...

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
Expressed thought by virtue of its subjective perception does a lot of skirting around the edges. Yet its real aim is to bring the skirting to a close. The spot is not a place, but a moment where the perceivers of the expressed thought admit there can be no more skirting around the edges, and accept. The interal admittance, the "right" yet uncomfortable sensation of an unassumingly, or callously stated, yet impeccably "correct" truth resonating within the self, refusal to look into the thought in the eyes all the while being compelled by the very same. The spot is the resulting rueful smile, the ensuing look in the mirror. It is internal, and deeply rooted in the self, and its presence and judgment is silent.