• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I come from cyberspace

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
There's been much discussion about the freedom of speech, the internet and copyrights because of these PIPA/ACTA/whatnot acts being driven all around the western world. Once in effect, the could potentially close facebook, twitter, youtube, wikipedia... effectively the whole internet as we know it.

This made me think about how integral part these services (and the internet itself) already play in my life. These are no longer nice services I can log in once in a while to have fun. They are the cornerstones of my social life online. And why not in real life too.

Whenever I lose my internet connection (luckily I have 2 nowadays... a cable and 3G), the whole world feels so much smaller. I don't watch much TV anymore. Sports is practically the only thing I do still watch from TV (and would watch it online if it was more accessible). Also, much of my educational material is available exclusively in the internet. So the internet is truly the center of my education, social life and entertainment.

Also, I find it interesting how much cultural blending there has been thanks to the internet. I truly believe this is the best hope we have for a global peace. In real life the distances and national borders are too strong for having a common culture, but the internet transcends these restrictions. This made me think of this 16 years old text: A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace

Now all this random babbling aside, do you feel like the internet is part of your home? Do you feel comfortable in the internet? Do you believe that the internet could lift our culture from the brutal physical world we are in to an enlightened culture of the tomorrow?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Communication has long been key to resolving conflicts and promoting understanding among people. Everything that makes it easier for ordinary people to communicate with others, especially others outside their usual circles of association, facilitates these goals. Long distance telephone and airmail were large steps forward, bridging oceans and great distances, but with time delays and cost limitations. The internet finally overcomes these, enabling instant, virtual face to face communication all across the globe for minimal and sometimes no cost. I do not see how it could NOT be transformational.

That being said, the internet is a means, a tool, devoid of inherent values. As such, it is available also for those who want to do ill, as we see with cyber-bullying, and hate or terrorist websites. Governments must strike a balance by protecting individual privacy, while promoting free speech, and cracking down on actions, not words.