• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

testing karma and trying to see if the universe is fair!

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
I was thinking, If I done some nice things everyday for a year, where in no way I would be affected both directly or indirectly, would karma reward soon after? would good things begin to happen to me and people around me.

this is not something im serious about, its something i was thinking of doing just for fun and usually i get the warm fuzzy`s anyway from doing these things (its usually infrequent though)

any thoughts about it?

R

Riva

I was thinking, If I done some nice things everyday for a year, where in no way I would be affected both directly or indirectly, would karma reward soon after? would good things begin to happen to me and people around me.

this is not something im serious about, its something i was thinking of doing just for fun and usually i get the warm fuzzy`s anyway from doing these things (its usually infrequent though)

any thoughts about it?

According to Buddhism -

1st of all initially having the thought of doing good deeds everyday is itself a good karma. Because good deeds are a result of good intentions etc.

There are no time frames bound for the reaps of karma. It will come to you one day. It could be this year or it could be next year or it could be in another life time. But certain karma would affect one in this life time itself. And it doesn't mean once the karma has acted upon you that it would not act upon you again. Meaning for a good deed you've done you could benefit from it in this life and in another etc. Also applies to bad deeds.

But unfortunately for the best of my knowledge good things are not followed immediately by good karma. One cannot do good deeds and expect immediate results.

Oh,

And something that most people don't know is that good deeds done unintentionally are also rewarded depending on who is benefited. But if the intention is clearer and more kind hearted at the moment the deed was done the karmic effect is much more.

And,

Karma acts in a way of a chain reaction. As an example, think your friend needed money. You gave this money to that person. With the money he makes more money (makes an investment, buys a apartment etc) and his family life eventually improves, even his children are benefited and even his grand children. But remember you initially gave money to your friend's benefit, not with the intention of such benefits to all of whom affected.

But karma realizes all of these :shock:?

Yes it does. It doesn't care to whom you helped. You helped someone and due to it another 10 people were benefited. And all those good merits are good karma to you. And this karma could come to you in this life time or in another etc.

And,

even if you thought to yourself 'WHAT THE FUCK? I HATE THE FACT THAT I HAVE TO PROVIDE HIM/HER WITH MY MONEY' before helping him but helped him/her nevertheless, the good karma would be accumulated to you and would benefit you someday.

And,

Assumed that you died after right after giving your friend the money and he never got the chance to help his family with it etc, still the benefits would follow you to your next lives even after you die! This is why some
  1. Buddhists
love to build bridges, build roads, Build houses, build wells etc. Because the karmic affects would accumulate to you even after your death.

But,

Even a comparatively lesser deed like giving $1 to a beggar could have a more profound affect on you depending how kind (well intended) your thought behind that particular simple act was :).

MBTI Type
ISTP
There is blessing for obedience to the Lord, and curses for disobedience (Deut. 28). So it is not what you or I, or anyone else commends as good which matters, but to obey the Lord by believing. (2 Corinthians 10:18). Everything else is vain and meaningless.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

any thoughts about it?

How exactly would you test that? It's entirely likely that doing good things would affect your reputation which would certainly (directly or indirectly) affect future things happening to you....

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is blessing for obedience to the Lord, and curses for disobedience (Deut. 28). So it is not what you or I, or anyone else commends as good which matters, but to obey the Lord by believing. (2 Corinthians 10:18). Everything else is vain and meaningless.

Soeth says the religious tracts at the bus station that everybody ignores, also...

OP:
Anyway, I dig the karma idea. But like most religious ideas, it's not really testable. You might be paying a huge debt of karma and the process takes several lifetimes. Karma is a complicated thing, or so a Zen lay priest explained to me one day. I think the the highest ideal, anyway, is just to do good things because it's good.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Testing Karma is simple; observe those who have done good or bad (both of which are relative), and you'll see that lots of bad people have great lives, while lots of good people suffer.

There are few other arguments against Karma that I have thought up of before that I may share later, but for now I'll be terse; Karma doesn't exist.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
[MENTION=6164]Riva[/MENTION] mentioned good intentions and i think that's a very valid point.

I'm currently reading It's the thought that counts by David R Hamilton. If you have a Kindle, it's only £0.99 and a really good and informative read. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Its-thought...?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1329339051&sr=1-1

Ultimately i believe every thought counts. If you are in a negative head space then your body feels it. If you are in a caring and compassionate place then you feel it but also those around you feel it as like attracts like. Give it a try but don't expect results as what you are looking for may not be what you get, be open to all possibilities.

Good luck and keep a journal of your time in this experiment. I'd be very interested in reading your experiences.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Karma is cause and effect, that what we think manifests into reality, the seeds of creation.

xisnotx

Permabanned
If you start looking for good things that are happening in your life you will find them so the answer will be yes, despite it being no.