• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

evolutionary cause for believing in god

A

A window to the soul

I dont know about maturity and I dont care for scriptural literalism, I think its heretical and just plain wrong, the mark of a dead religion but I know we are in different schools of thought there and there's as big a gulf between us on that point as between heaven and hell.

I dont think evidence of redemption is trolling though, I think they're sincere enough but I dont think they are right.
Ah, but he-we are fully alive. There are moments in life when we are forced to think with our hearts.

If it was literal and logical, it would make more sense to people like you. <3

Lark

Ah, but he-we are fully alive. There are moments in life when we are forced to think with our hearts.

If it was literal and logical, it would make more sense to people like you. <3

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, are you suggesting that because you use feeling and perception that scriptural literalism then makes sense? I dont believe its reasonable in any case and that its a convention arising from the all too human political wrangling Luther et al.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=15136]EvidenceOfRedemption[/MENTION] the ancient greeks and Zoroastrians did not look at good and evil in that way at all.

I think evolution favors religion on a lot of levels. If you feel existentially secure you feel good which is a survival adaptation, if your brain is trained to recognize certain fock space patterns as agents of causation (people animals) it may carry that error over to the natural world thus anthropomorphizing it ;)

Jnteresting discussions on this:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&..._9r63T&sig=AHIEtbQajKtJCoX4FJu2W_4ApRXJf-tuQQ

^woah fuck didn't know it was that big

Also:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-believing-brain

Oh and in the case of "western" religion it was a cultural way of identifying similar genes so that out-groups could be marginalized or killed for their resources in"eastern" religions it was more of a way to cope as the upper classes raided the poor for resources

Munchies

MBTI Type
XNXP
Enneagram
OMG
Instinctual Variant
sx
l. "I created this spear from that tree which helps me on hunting, but who created that shiny thing on the sky that helps us to stay warm and gives us light to see properly, why is it going away some times, there must be someone bigger than us moving it" etc etc

Thus man created god in his image.

That;s an intuitive leap. The assumption that it was wonder that made the assumption of the ultimate conclusion of god. It's actually easier to assume that there is no god, and these fables were made to use the innstrinsic fear in us to conform to idieology for fear of the unknown, which religion made known. It's the most manipulative tool known to mankind. Environment is much of a more based ideao of beleiving in god, rather than "evolutionairy" process; it's actually completly baseless with only a very subjective quote to sum it up as quoted above.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Everyone has a presupposition that they defend. This is a product of wanting to feel more comfortable with uncertainty.
Some (most) are filled with fear at the idea of death, so the concept of an afterlife and a rational, caring god assuages that.
Look at all of the Christian writing about the nature of god: it's all designed to make this irrational fear bearable. that it's logically inconsistant doesn't detract from it's purpose.