• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Original sin?

Beorn

Permabanned
That is the only moral authority any of us has access to.

I disagree with your assertion.

No. The difference is in the word "purely". In a Christian world view goodness is something real and lasting and not just a social construct. When we exert power over others we can do it in a good way and do it to achieve a good end. Without God there is exertion of power, but no goodness that is meaningful.

A

A window to the soul

Jesus preached submission to God, that did not make him submissive. In fact, he was a highly subversive Jew.
The Trinity is an invention of the Catholic church, entirely inconsistent with early Christian doctrine. Jesus did not see himself as equal to God. If he had, much of his teaching would have been utterly nonsensical. Whereas, in fact, much of it was common sense.

There's another dude who thought he could just redefine terms to suit himself. I figured you'd like him.

You've never read the Bible have you? Confess. :laugh:

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I fed a homeless man. + I am not a Christian. = Therefore is it not meaningful.

Absurd.
Apart from the lunacy of the statement he meant that his main deity is the giver of meaning rather than the religion itself. Though it would imply that the 'non christian wordview' however is meaningless (rather than the fact of non christianity)

Beorn

Permabanned
I fed a homeless man. + I am not a Christian. = Therefore is it not meaningful.

Absurd.

No, I think that it's meaningful for a nonchristian to give food to a homeless person. But, that's only because I think I'm right and that the Christian God is real. I think your logical inconsistency and presumption that goodness matters is a sign that I'm right and the Christian God does exist.

What's absurd is to believe in materialistic atheism and act as if goodness matters. If there is no God then we are all just the consequence of chemical reactions. There is no inherent difference between birth and murder. Shit happens. That's all.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hate to break this to you, but scoring something out doesn't make it false.
You've never read the Bible have you? Confess. :laugh:
I expect I know a good deal more of the Bible than you do.

Believe it or not, once I was as brainwashed as you are now.

My excuse is that I was 8 yrs old. What's yours?

(I'm guessing that's not you in your avatar, although, then again...)

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
No, I think that it's meaningful for a nonchristian to give food to a homeless person. But, that's only because I think I'm right and that the Christian God is real. I think your logical inconsistency and presumption that goodness matters is a sign that I'm right and the Christian God does exist.

What's absurd is to believe in materialistic atheism and act as if goodness matters. If there is no God then we are all just the consequence of chemical reactions. There is no inherent difference between birth and murder. Shit happens. That's all.

by this logic language also proves that god exists. The only thing your statement seems to demonstrate reliably is your complete inability to reason when it comes to your religious delusion

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Hate is life

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr6-zYWfIXk"].[/YOUTUBE]

Beorn

Permabanned
by this logic language also proves that god exists. The only thing your statement seems to show is your complete lack of grasp over logic

Save your judgments and read more carefully. I explicitly avoided the word "proof" and specifically chose the word "sign".

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Save your judgments and read more carefully. I explicitly avoided the word "proof" and specifically chose the word "sign".
And I used to word demonstrate. Lets have a spelling be

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, that makes sense. It's sad how churches skew the truth, and push people away. I was only referring to what is taught in the Bible.

Well, the reason that there's such a problem with that in the church is because they've made a case that the Bible is teaching it.

I think a textual analysis leads to other conclusions, but apparently reading things verbatim in some portions of OT and NT have given people what seems to be a case to promote patriarchal society. If it didn't, the church wouldn't be so inundated with that way of thinking...

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

images

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am not Christian nor do I believe in original sin as the fallout of Adam and Eve, but I do believe in it in the sense that we are all beings haunted by pain and impulse and self-directed hostility, all of which drive us to act in ways that do not serve to benefit ourselves or others. I also do believe in the sins of the fathers being passed down to the sons in the sense that we inherit our family's neuroses.

I think these are more truths of the human condition than anything to do with dogma - unsurprising that they made it into such a large tome.

Beefeater said:
If there is no God then we are all just the consequence of chemical reactions. There is no inherent difference between birth and murder.

Besides in the stirrings we feel in response to the advent of new life and the loss of someone close and meaningful to us; besides in the difference between pleasure and pain; besides in the difference between creating a world that is safe and truthful and kind and one that is tormented and deceitful and unfair; besides in making life something we want to live versus something we want to run from.

The existence of God makes little difference in the basic tenet that we should live a moral life.

Beorn

Permabanned
Yes, I edited in fear of your mastery of rhetorics. That is so likely

I don't know why you changed it nor do I care. I think it's funny that you're nitpicking at some offhand remark and ignoring my broader argument.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OMG, dude. He didn't change it.
Do you always see what you want to see rather than what's really there?
Look who I'm asking...