• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mortals and others.

Lark

If an elite was able to exploit radical advances in longevity science to become immortal, or as near to immortal as to make no difference, what would the implications be for democracy, capitalism and supposed meritocracy?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The rich would be able to afford it, while the poor wouldn't. I would predict an outrage by the poor people who wish for immortality but can't afford it. Capitalism at an extreme is what I see happening unless there was some kind of measures in place to assure equal opportunity for all.

Lark

The rich would be able to afford it, while the poor wouldn't. I would predict an outrage by the poor people who wish for immortality but can't afford it. Capitalism at an extreme is what I see happening unless there was some kind of measures in place to assure equal opportunity for all.

In some sense I believe that capitalism does afford the equal opportunity to all, provided they can pay that is, I think it would move class struggles or class stratification beyond capitalism and its illusions and fables towards something reflecting even more closely fuedalism, although fuedalism divested of all its social ties, obligations and reciprocity of its first incarnation (not to exaggerate those int he first place though).