• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Living a "hedonistic" life is less risky.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is best to live a balanced life than to jump between the two extremes. Moderation is key. The trouble with being hedonistic is that once one has indulged in material pleasures, the pleasure associated with it wears out over time, and it becomes an addiction to find a higher form of pleasure to the senses. It loses meaning. Living a life in moderation helps to make the pleasures in life meaningful, as well as seeking to give oneself a meaningful life through means other than the senses alone.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is why I kind of want to retype as a Te type. Heh. I'm totally down with this reasoning. Typology wise, this is ultimately going to be a conflict of Ti/Te, I think (where Ti hangs on to systems, and Te thinks situationally).

Ti hangs onto what it believes, its not always "systems". But yes, sometimes I dont care "situationally" so I choose not to think "situationally". You have situationally logic, emotionally logical, systematically logical. It doesnt even mean that choosing one logic over another makes one illogical, unless you choose(or some people dont choose) just to see the "illogical"

bluestripes

curiouser and curiouser
MBTI Type
Fi
Enneagram
It is best to live a balanced life than to jump between the two extremes. Moderation is key. The trouble with being hedonistic is that once one has indulged in material pleasures, the pleasure associated with it wears out over time, and it becomes an addiction to find a higher form of pleasure to the senses. It loses meaning. Living a life in moderation helps to make the pleasures in life meaningful, as well as seeking to give oneself a meaningful life through means other than the senses alone.

true.

i would agree with the original post in the sense that - yes, i do believe one has to enjoy life in the current moment, the here and now, because that is the only time when one REALLY lives.

however, there are many different varieties of pleasure. there are basic sensory pleasures, such as food or sex, there are subtler sensory/aesthetic pleasures, such as the ones derived from art or observing nature (and again sex or food, for some). then there is the sense of fulfillment one gains from doing something one finds valuable - i feel that when i design and complete an embroidery project, or finish a translation successfully, or write something that manages to express my emotions and/or connect to the emotions of someone else, but it could be anything. there is the delight from relating to other people, having friends, building a family, having that special sense of intimacy with a significant other. some people specifically derive pleasure from dedicating themselves to helping others. there is also the pleasure from acquiring a measure of wealth, gaining status and recognition or acceptance from others (these feel somewhat alien to me, personally, but this doesn't mean they are not important to some).

i think one feels best when all these different kinds of pleasure are present in one's life, and when there is a reasonable balance between all of them. if a person concentrates on just one - say, the first type, basic material or sensory pleasure, or the last, status and wealth - there will be an imbalance, because other parts of that person's being will demand to have "their" variety of pleasure as well, but will not get any. hence that vicious circle of overindulgence, inner emptiness, then more overindulgence that is supposed to drown it out and never does.

so yes, i suppose one could call me a hedonist too - but it depends on how one defines "hedonism".

Lark

I think the question at the heart of the thread is denial vs. indulgence.

Its possible to derive pleasure from either depending upon your value base. So perhaps it would be "hedonistic" to be really abstemonious?

pickledoctopus

MBTI Type
InTj
Belief in God is rationally justifiable, and has been done for thousands of years. Rational inquiry into God's existence even has a name - it's called Natural Theology.

I think I screwed up expressing myself. I just meant that the existence of a god is neither provable nor disprovable. Ergo, I suspend any belief.

Lark, you have a point... It is unhealthy to live only in the moment 24/7, and it is equally unhealthy to fall into excessive denial.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I think the question at the heart of the thread is denial vs. indulgence.

Its possible to derive pleasure from either depending upon your value base. So perhaps it would be "hedonistic" to be really abstemonious?

Reminds me of Ambrose Bierce's dictionary entry...

ABSTAINER, n. A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure.

Lark

I think I screwed up expressing myself. I just meant that the existence of a god is neither provable nor disprovable. Ergo, I suspend any belief.

Lark, you have a point... It is unhealthy to live only in the moment 24/7, and it is equally unhealthy to fall into excessive denial.

Yeah but to find excessive denial you have to read the history books.

I dont consider totalitarian regimes like the Taliban to be normatively in favour of denial because its one matter to deny something to yourself and another altogether to get your kicks denying it to others.