• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The brightest candle burns half as long

Lark

Say there is a pharmaceutical or medical procedure which will vastly improve your intellect or cognitive functioning or health, fitness and atheleticism or all of the above but it also has the side effect of reducing the life span of all those who use it.

Higher performance for less time.

Would you use it or want it?

gmanyo

sswwwaagggg
MBTI Type
ENTP
Steroids, Adderall. And I don't think so, considering I don't take either of those.

Actually, I doubt most steroids decrease your lifespan, and I'm almost positive Adderall doesn't.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Also known as the Goldman Dilemma.

Here's a summary of a recent study that should prove of interest to those posting here: Short Report BJSM

As for the OP, I would have to have more information to make the choice - what exactly would I be improving, and how much time would it take off of my lifespan. The study linked above is very specific in outlining that if you take the drug you will die in 5 years time.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How much time would be reduced from the lifespan? How much of an improvement would be made? Those things definitely matter. For a reduction of 10 years or less I'd probably take it if I was guaranteed significantly improved cognitive functioning/intellect. I don't care much about improved athleticism but I may also consider taking a lifespan reduction if I was guaranteed better mental health (e.g. higher self esteem, less anxiety, etc.)

Any lifespan reduction of more than 10 years, I'd be unlikely to take such a drug. The gain wouldn't be worth it. For the most part I'm satisfied with life already. Now if I was seriously depressed or had a serious cognitive impairment, then I might be able to accept a greater lifespan reduction in return for the gains received from the drug.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Difficult question.

I think I'ld ponder about it for a long time and would prolly need 10 years alone to make a decision. But I have the strong hunch that the decision in the end will be in favor of spending more life time with my gf cause it would be unfair towards her, if I'ld go earlier

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Patti Lupone was far better, but this was all I could find quickly.

G

Ginkgo

If it existed, nobody would care about the side effects for a while, and I would have joined the bandwagon under the assumption it was as okay as cigarettes were in the 1940's.

I guess I would be a burn out.

Turtledove

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I value my life here on earth, so no. I'll try to do better the old school way.