• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ideal Beauty

Lightyear

Certain musicians create music that has a transcendent quality, something that seems to go beyond just creating a melody, to me that kind of music represents a higher form of beauty.

Artists I am thinking off are Sufjan Stevens, Zero 7 and Agnes Obel:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjncyiuwwXQ"]Agnes Obel[/YOUTUBE]

paixfleurs

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Nature

cherrytreedaffodil.png

Mole

Permabanned
Idealists are the most dangerous people, particularly when they talk of ideal beauty.

For beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So if we wish to see beauty, we nurture the beholder.

bluestripes

curiouser and curiouser
MBTI Type
Fi
Enneagram
Last edited:

Mole

Permabanned
A Painted Pane of Glass

Beauty takes us by surprise. And for those who fear surprise we have the booby prize - ideal images of beauty.

And the purpose of ideal images is to take our attention away from what is in front of us. And it works. We go through our whole lives seeing the world through ideal images. It is as though we see the world through a painted pane of glass, which keeps us safe from surprises.

But to be surprised by beauty, we need to cultivate our souls.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see beauty in things that take effort, but seem effortless. A natural expression that is not 'work'.

Bonsai_penjing.jpg

Lark

I remember reading that coming out of the desert the human mind was programmed to consider greenery and green things as beautiful, I can understand that but I think it could be to do with being irish too.

ewomack

Reality is so polymorphous that something that looks beautiful from one angle can look ugly from another... and not just physically but intellectually, socially, etc... beautiful and ugly exist in this tension... and neither can really escape the other... we also never talk about "ideal ugliness" because for some reason the question doesn't really make sense... beauty definitely has an element of escapism in it... an escape from the mundane and the ugly. It can become a drug of sorts or limit our perception. But it nonetheless remains a fundamental human appreciation. We just shouldn't overrate it.

Kraska

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Baby, they are the most beautifull living things. They are they only innocent and pure beings that know no hatred, jealosy, greed, sexual desires and other things that pervert the human being throughout life.

bluestripes

curiouser and curiouser
MBTI Type
Fi
Enneagram
beauty definitely has an element of escapism in it... an escape from the mundane and the ugly. It can become a drug of sorts or limit our perception. But it nonetheless remains a fundamental human appreciation. We just shouldn't overrate it.

or the mundane and the ugly can be an escape from beauty. it is a matter of perspective. all it takes is a slight shift in the angle from which one looks at this world, and one suddenly realizes that beauty is everywhere, behind every corner - in a crack in the wall, a bud on the branch of a shrub, the shadows that fall onto the tarmac from the trees and move with each gust of wind. there is this joy that grips one to the marrow of one's bones, makes one grow cold and sends chills down one's spine. it jumps at one and assaults one. there is something about it that is akin to rape. what we call "ordinary" or "mundane" could well be a a way to shield ourselves from this. i don't think humans were meant to stand it - not every minute, second and nanosecond of our waking lives.

besides, beauty, or the dichotomy between the beautiful and the ugly, is a purely human construct. it only applies to the world we have created around ourselves, because we were the ones to design and construct it, and so we have a right to judge it by our own standards. when it comes to the larger world created by god, as the great artist whom no human genius can match, we can no longer use these concepts in the same manner. either everything in that world is beautiful, seeing that it was made out of love and carries god's own spark inside, or it is neither "beautiful" nor "ugly". it just IS. it exists on its own, for its own sake, independently of ourselves. and its value has nothing to do with what we find aesthetically pleasing or not.

I remember reading that coming out of the desert the human mind was programmed to consider greenery and green things as beautiful, I can understand that but I think it could be to do with being irish too.

i do find green living beings beautiful. but the same goes for non-green living beings too - and i guess there are many people out there who are less fond of nature and don't feel quite that way.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sunlight dancing on water....trees making shadows on the ground...the look of love in someones eyes...the curves and hard angles on ones body.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The time near sunset when the sun blankets everything in a beautiful, glowing, warm, organge'ish color...I love that, especially in the city <3.

525866010_71b279184e.jpg

Turtledove

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In a spiritual sense of what is beautiful, I read more into being born again according to Christian theology. I'm not going to go in to all the details because it would take too long and it's too tiresome to read. But one being baptized into Christ and/or receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit is like seeing spiritually a baby being born as it cries, breathing in its first breath. It's a beautiful experience...Not only beautiful, but there is a sense of joy and newness of life to see the experience of that person being recreated.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Concise, universal fractions of truth.

Whatever that means.

Mole

Permabanned
Beauty and the Quotidian

or the mundane and the ugly can be an escape from beauty. it is a matter of perspective. all it takes is a slight shift in the angle from which one looks at this world, and one suddenly realizes that beauty is everywhere, behind every corner - in a crack in the wall, a bud on the branch of a shrub, the shadows that fall onto the tarmac from the trees and move with each gust of wind. there is this joy that grips one to the marrow of one's bones, makes one grow cold and sends chills down one's spine. it jumps at one and assaults one. there is something about it that is akin to rape. what we call "ordinary" or "mundane" could well be a a way to shield ourselves from this. i don't think humans were meant to stand it - not every minute, second and nanosecond of our waking lives.

besides, beauty, or the dichotomy between the beautiful and the ugly, is a purely human construct. it only applies to the world we have created around ourselves, because we were the ones to design and construct it, and so we have a right to judge it by our own standards. when it comes to the larger world created by god, as the great artist whom no human genius can match, we can no longer use these concepts in the same manner. either everything in that world is beautiful, seeing that it was made out of love and carries god's own spark inside, or it is neither "beautiful" nor "ugly". it just IS. it exists on its own, for its own sake, independently of ourselves. and its value has nothing to do with what we find aesthetically pleasing or not.

i do find green living beings beautiful. but the same goes for non-green living beings too - and i guess there are many people out there who are less fond of nature and don't feel quite that way.

Yes, we slip sideways out of the quotidian into beauty.

But then we fall backwards out of beauty into the quotidian.

And there is no beauty without the quotidian, and no quotidian without beauty.

Lark

At the minute I'm finding solitude beautiful, its harder to find that you might imagine.

S

SingSmileShine

To me, genuinity is synonomous with beauty. Genuine people, genuine thoughts, genuine ideas, nature (what's more genuine than that?) and especially genuine hearts.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The moment when you look out into something -- a landscape, an object, a person -- and feel completely one with it.

That may be the most beautiful thing I've ever experienced.

Mole

Permabanned
To me, genuinity is synonomous with beauty. Genuine people, genuine thoughts, genuine ideas, nature (what's more genuine than that?) and especially genuine hearts.

And once we can fake genuine thoughts, genuine ideas and a genuine heart, we've got it made.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
epodccrf18284.jpg

Always about the night sky, the stars. And when in a very dark area, the galaxy/universe.