• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

One ring to rule them all... blah blah blah (Not about LOTR)

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Ok so do you actually have a philosophy which you follow? A named (and usually shamed) known philosophy with famous names behind it or do you follow a customised path set down by the most famous of philosophers... you.

How did you come to that manner of thinking and (possibly the same question) why do you think it's a good manner to follow?

Do you envy those of another philosophy?

Do you snigger at those who follow some other philosophy, if so which philosophy?

Are there some basic quotes which outline your philosophy (whether it be mainstream and recognised or personal)?

Do you label yourself and if so why do you do this?

raincrow007

MBTI Type
INTP
That's right... you just squawk on by yourself!! Typical!

:smile:
(How come would be real interesting :devil: ;) )

I suspect the reason why I choose nihilism would be the same reason that most people adhere to any one philosophy [or amalgam of philosophies] -- namely that it makes sense to them.

*shrugs*

logan235711

MBTI Type
INTJ
OMG THESE QUESTIONS ARE LONG! Do you really expect us to adaquately answer all of these?! Just THIS Alone ----> "How did you come to that manner of thinking and (possibly the same question) why do you think it's a good manner to follow?" is a novel O_O yes, let me eksplane evry E-vent of my lyph that led 2 this...I think I would like to answer some of these, but it would take too long :=======( is there anyway you can shorten or be more specific PLLLEEAAASSSEEEEEE PRETTY PLEAAZEE WITH SUGAAARR ON TOPP *puppy dog eyes*

Beyonder

MBTI Type
intp
Ok so do you actually have a philosophy which you follow? A named (and usually shamed) known philosophy with famous names behind it or do you follow a customised path set down by the most famous of philosophers... you.
Yeah, I've got a custom philosophy, handtailored to... well... me, naturally. I do rely heavilly on multiple 'schools of thought', though, like taoism, scepticism, hinduism (mostly dharmic traditions), virtue ethics...
Mills 'On Liberty' and Thoreau's 'Civil Disobedience' where quitte influential on my personal political stance, while Bakunin was most influential on the political system I adhere to...
My philosophy of mind relies on jungian and kantian notions, next to Merleau-Ponty's flavor of phenomenology.
My epistemology is mostly orientated at scepticism and Kuhns notions about paradigmatic change.
How did you come to that manner of thinking and (possibly the same question)
I've been studying philosophy and the like for almost 5 years now...

why do you think it's a good manner to follow?
*smears face with blue paint* FREEEDOOOOOMMMM.... :D
Do you envy those of another philosophy?
What? No. Are you kidding me?
Do you snigger at those who follow some other philosophy, if so which philosophy?
Nope.
Are there some basic quotes which outline your philosophy (whether it be mainstream and recognised or personal)?
- People are free to stand, but also very free to fall, on their own.
-"Begone: Defile me not! I would rather disport myself to my own enjoyment in the mire than be slave to the ruler of a State. I will never take office. Thus I shall remain free to follow my own inclinations." - Zhuangzi

Those are the quotes that floated to the top of my head, when you asked. For others, I'll have to consult my personal library... And I'm being lazy today, so NO RESEARCH!!! :cool:
Do you label yourself and if so why do you do this?
Nope.

sundowning

MBTI Type
ISTP
My philosophy takes large chunks from various others and fuses them together to form an odd, intellectual abomination. It perhaps mirrors an accepted, 'official' philosophy that currently out there, but as I'm not particularily inclined to philosophy other than what passively seeps into my brain, I can't say for sure.

The foundation is a kind of atheistic/pantheistic fusion with what I guess is considered 'naturalism':

1) No singular, setient entity with omni-powers exists.
2) By virture of the physical properties of the universe, everything is 'connected' in some fashion of which the various lines of possibility are blurred.
3) Life/existence is the result of physical, chemical, and biological evolutions, spanning the universe's 13.7 Ga existence.
4) Absolute knowledge about the universe is possible.

My mission is to reconcile this foundation with the nature of my personal existence, and like linking classical physics to quantum physics, it's not an easy feat.

(simplistic notions follow)

1) Nihilism is true, as I understand it, in that life and existence are meaningless in the broad context.
2) Existentialism is true, as I understand it, in that situational meaning, choice, will, etc. exist...

...as well as that fundamental 'angst' which may operate independently of (1) within the framework of (2), or as a result of/in association with (1).

I can't always operate on this plane, however - daily life simply does not allow that. From this realization a few ideas pop-up:

Socio-political shit: I try to learn as much as I can about human societies and culture, and I try to form an ethical system based on the notion of a) consent, and b) reserve - (b) referring to the notion that just because (a) isn't violated doesn't mean that I am therefore free to do an action. How this translates into real-world terms can be a mess.

An extension to the above is recognizing my place within human societies. They make demands, and that's not necessarily a bad thing because it's all a trade-off. What is required of me is paid back throughout the duration of my life. So in this sense, being drafted for a war is not necessarily something I would take a stand against. Yes, I am an individual, but in the prevailing mythology of the western individualism, sacrifice isn't always a sham because you were never allowed to be truly free in the first place.

Enjoyment and action: Another way of reconciling the two views - my foundation and daily life - lies outside of the social/ethical sphere and deals with a nebulous mix of hedonism and active will. My life has meaning because I do things, and the things I do define me. Smoking a cigarette while leaning against a wall defines me. Reading Pride and Prejudice defines me. Crashing my bike into a tree and scraping my face defines me. Posting on a message board defines me.

These are amoral actions, devoid of any meaning apart from the fact that I am expressing my will.

A lot of the fodder for this view is found in pop-culture, especially the music I listen to:

"...this next choice is all I have."

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I suspect the reason why I choose nihilism would be the same reason that most people adhere to any one philosophy [or amalgam of philosophies] -- namely that it makes sense to them.

*shrugs*
Is there a dentist in the forum?
(Yes yes the perfect INTP answer. You make an excellent role model m'dear.)
Is that your final answer or could you be persuaded to illustrate ;)
OMG THESE QUESTIONS ARE LONG! Do you really expect us to adaquately answer all of these?! Just THIS Alone ----> "How did you come to that manner of thinking and (possibly the same question) why do you think it's a good manner to follow?" is a novel O_O yes, let me eksplane evry E-vent of my lyph that led 2 this...I think I would like to answer some of these, but it would take too long :=======( is there anyway you can shorten or be more specific PLLLEEAAASSSEEEEEE PRETTY PLEAAZEE WITH SUGAAARR ON TOPP *puppy dog eyes*
Errm..... your odd
;)

Don't worry I'm not after detail. As always I'm posing the question "you think differently to me, why?" but in new and overly complex ways.

Just post the bullet points, the mile markers, the buoys of your thinking.
Saul/Paul of Tarsus?
I'm gonna have to research this one now :(

You trying out the Booya style for a day Cafe?
I've been studying philosophy and the like for almost 5 years now...
Hmm I'm going to have to research some of that before it makes sense. Sounds like you've got a fairly complete intuitive system.
What? No. Are you kidding me? ... Nope.
How do you reconcile that you don't agree with their position and yet their thinking is valid? I know that each person hold wisdom and that each can and will follow their own path but I cannot quite come to a satisfactory balance between me thinking that method of thinking is wrong and me thinking that the person is wrong.
My mission is to reconcile this foundation with the nature of my personal existence, and like linking classical physics to quantum physics, it's not an easy feat.
I think I get your drift. Do you mean that your philosophy and your life are often divergent? If so then count me in. I'm finding that more and more.
Socio-political shit: I try to learn as much as I can about human societies and culture, and I try to form an ethical system based on the notion of a) consent, and b) reserve - (b) referring to the notion that just because (a) isn't violated doesn't mean that I am therefore free to do an action. How this translates into real-world terms can be a mess.
This sounds like an excellent way to T through all the social networking. Well said.
An extension to the above is recognizing my place within human societies. They make demands, and that's not necessarily a bad thing because it's all a trade-off. What is required of me is paid back throughout the duration of my life. So in this sense, being drafted for a war is not necessarily something I would take a stand against. Yes, I am an individual, but in the prevailing mythology of the western individualism, sacrifice isn't always a sham because you were never allowed to be truly free in the first place.
Yes in theory you are completely free but in reality such things are naturally constrained by the inertia set up by the society. I guess that total freedom comes with the cost of total resistance. Perhaps then total freedom is possible but just not plausible nor probable?
Enjoyment and action: Another way of reconciling the two views - my foundation and daily life - lies outside of the social/ethical sphere and deals with a nebulous mix of hedonism and active will. My life has meaning because I do things, and the things I do define me. Smoking a cigarette while leaning against a wall defines me. Reading Pride and Prejudice defines me. Crashing my bike into a tree and scraping my face defines me. Posting on a message board defines me.
Everything done by you is you and part of you, this does resonate with me.

Would I be correct in thinking that balance is a major goal in your thinking? You don't choose grey so much as balance white and black?
"...this next choice is all I have."
Now that's something worth including in everyone's philosophy, pop culture or not.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'm gonna have to research this one now :(

You trying out the Booya style for a day Cafe?
Not intentionally. The New Testament epistles, especially the Pauline ones, have shaped the way I think and live. He fleshed out (or trashed, depending on who you're talking to ;) ) the teachings of Jesus to help Gentiles, raised without the Law, gain an understanding of Christ's significance and how to live in a way that honors Christ.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Not intentionally. The New Testament epistles, especially the Pauline ones, have shaped the way I think and live. He fleshed out (or trashed, depending on who you're talking to ;) ) the teachings of Jesus to help Gentiles, raised without the Law, gain an understanding of Christ's significance and how to live in a way that honors Christ.
OH! It makes more sense now :D

I guess I will be doing research.... The Bible is not one of my strong suits :whistling:

raincrow007

MBTI Type
INTP
Is there a dentist in the forum?
(Yes yes the perfect INTP answer. You make an excellent role model m'dear.)
Is that your final answer or could you be persuaded to illustrate ;)

I might be persuaded, but probably not by you. ;)

See the formerly wooly canuck jesus' sundowning's answer again for elaboration. S'close enough. Except he's far more positive than I am. :D

*shrugs*

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I might be persuaded, but probably not by you. ;)

See the formerly wooly canuck jesus' sundowning's answer again for elaboration. S'close enough. Except he's far more positive than I am. :D

*shrugs*
Makes a lot of sense. See now that wasn't that bad now was it?

:tongue10: :)

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
I don;t follow any philosophies directly, any i do follow are accidents, because all of them miss features of how the world actually works. I sort of have a mixed group of principles that I sort out follow and try to sort out while acting on them.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I don;t follow any philosophies directly, any i do follow are accidents, because all of them miss features of how the world actually works. I sort of have a mixed group of principles that I sort out follow and try to sort out while acting on them.
Do you find yourself envying those with a singular and well defined philosophy? Find yourself wishing that you too could have such clarity of approach or do you think them perhaps a little short sighted in their devotion and that actually the confusion is part of how to get closer to the truth itself?

sundowning

MBTI Type
ISTP
Yes in theory you are completely free but in reality such things are naturally constrained by the inertia set up by the society. I guess that total freedom comes with the cost of total resistance. Perhaps then total freedom is possible but just not plausible nor probable?

I would probably think so, but for me the obvious expression of this would be to give up every material good created by another's hand and go live in the bush eating bugs and berries.

In this sense, even your prior socialization to this natural state would corrupt your 'true freedom' somehow, as your entire way of thinking hinges on your past (social) environments. Even though you'd no longer be required to act in a social, the effects would still be present.

Broadly speaking, I think it can be healthy self-expression to want to cut yourself off from society, or isolate yourself from the social miasma (to an extent), but it seems to me you're always going to be carrying around... almost like a 'platonic' debt to every human being that has ever taken part in shaping you, from your parents to the dude that poured the cement for the sidewalk you used to squish ants on as a kid.

Beyonder

MBTI Type
intp
Hmm I'm going to have to research some of that before it makes sense. Sounds like you've got a fairly complete intuitive system.
Yeah, I do. It's a fairly solid foundation, with wich I assimilate and explore other topics...
Especially my epistemology and philosophy of mind seem to be thoroughly linked, since a kantian notion about noumena/phenomena ties in nicely with my scepticism, wich is grounded in what Sextus Empiricus advocated; he mentions that true scepticism is a mindstate, not just an epistemological theory. It's about postponing judgement to gain 'quittude' or 'ataraxia'... Next to that, it's also about the impossibility of knowledge about 'ultimate reality' (noumena, in Kantian terms)...
My way of doing philosophy is walking in circles, so to speak. I first start with postponing judgement about anything already investigated, to create an opening for my new 'revision' of whatever I'm studying, then I start to work on a canon, and when I'm finished, I postpone judgement about anything I myself uncovered... That way, my naturally inquisitive mind gets it's thing done, while I still remain truely sceptical about everything... I start with ataraxia, and I also end there. What happens in between might be considered 'semi-dogmatical', as that's how I explore other systems; through hypostasis, not hypothesis. That way, I can explore systems internally, instead of having an external position.
Anyway, it all works like one giant system (except for the political stuff)...

My notion of the mind is:
-we can only experience phenomena, while the noumenal world remains 'hidden', so to speak, just like the a priori mental operations; though our a priori mental operations can be slowly uncovered through phenomenology, the noumenal world remains a mystery... We can't even decide if the noumenal world is a thing (nominal ontology) or things (plural ontology)... So I define the kantian 'thing in itself' as 'thing/things in itself', to show my absolute doubt about it (ontology) all. I do regard us (our bodies and minds) as part of the universe though, since we are immanently placed in the universe; from that pov, it really doesn't matter if we're part of a nominal or plural universe.
- We have unconscious and conscious regions of the mind, where the cognitive framework (worldview) is influenced by our stance towards unconscious behaviour (human instinctive faculties)... We also have a personal unconscious, in wich our complexes reside... Those being repressed memories, unresolved tensions etc.
- Our phenomenological field can be sub-devided in 'body', 'mind' and 'senses', because those are the categories consciousness operates in; this distinction is merely intellectual though, because in reality, it all works in tandem. This distinction is useful in analysing various properties, but is by no means phenomenologically valid, and whenever I run into troubles, I abandon it.

Epistemology:
-Truth is the 100% verisimilitude of thought and reality; but because we can never attain nor check it, this is an impossibility. We can never know anything about 'ultimate reality', because 1)we can't know if we'll encounter refuting evidence in the future, 2)we can't thoroughly reason back to a 'first cause' (regressus ad infinitum) and 3)all our investigations are based on various paradigms, wich are subject to change also...

Ethics:
- Being ethical is a choice.
- Freedom and being ethical are internally linked, as it's impossible to force an ethical stance on someone; it needs to be integrated into a worldview, wich is a subjective operation.
-'Big' ethical theories aren't necessary, since I regard ethics to be a priori; if it that wouldn't be true, providing ethical examples would be rather impossible.
- Because ethics is intuitive, being a 'good' person doesn't need much explanation; just striving to be a good person is more than enough, since the 'right' choice would be made in each situation, provided that one takes the freedom of oneself and of others into account.
- Being a good person is not the same thing as being a saint; 'the good' isn't the same thing as 'being perfect' (yeah, sophism, I know. It does represent nicely what I believe in though, and I'm not trying to write a book, here ;))

Regarding politics, well, it's not that handtailored. I just am an anarchist, and that's the end of it. I really don't like politics, as I regard it more as a rhetorical excercise than anything. All politicians are demagogues.

I'm sure I left something out somewhere, but as I said, I'm not trying to write down my magnum opus, here.
How do you reconcile that you don't agree with their position and yet their thinking is valid? I know that each person hold wisdom and that each can and will follow their own path but I cannot quite come to a satisfactory balance between me thinking that method of thinking is wrong and me thinking that the person is wrong.

I'm a sceptic. There's no 'ultimate truth', not even if someones reasoning is valid. I'm also a rhetorician, so am quitte aware that being convinced is something quitte different than stating 'ultimate truths'. A logos argument doesn't turn ones thesis into anything, it's just a logos argument.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I would probably think so, but for me the obvious expression of this would be to give up every material good created by another's hand and go live in the bush eating bugs and berries.

In this sense, even your prior socialization to this natural state would corrupt your 'true freedom' somehow, as your entire way of thinking hinges on your past (social) environments. Even though you'd no longer be required to act in a social, the effects would still be present.

Broadly speaking, I think it can be healthy self-expression to want to cut yourself off from society, or isolate yourself from the social miasma (to an extent), but it seems to me you're always going to be carrying around... almost like a 'platonic' debt to every human being that has ever taken part in shaping you, from your parents to the dude that poured the cement for the sidewalk you used to squish ants on as a kid.
Do you associate freedom then with being what you would be if nothing else existed or is it more the freedom to do as you will?

I agree that it's healthy to partially want to be yourself, set apart from all that created you. It's the basic human need to be more than the sum of their parts. However realistically the desire to be natural (which you indicated as similar to freedom) would perhaps be personal to you? I'd think that many like their creature comforts and that their version of freedom would be the ability to freely enjoy such things, though this itself does involve dealing with (and therefore being changed by) external forces.

So if freedom really about receding back to what you were or is it freedom of the next choice including what you are?