• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is Atheism good?

Mole

Permabanned
I don't think human kind will resist that long. Scientists can't even say what was before the Big Bang and our resources are running low fast.

There was no Big Bang. There was no explosion. Galaxies are not exploding away from each other, rather space is expanding, and expanding at an accelerating rate.

Kraska

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w2
There was no Big Bang. There was no explosion. Galaxies are not exploding away from each other, rather space is expanding, and expanding at an accelerating rate.

Well, as much as I know this is the most accepted theory and I'm ok with it.

Nicodemus

I find it hard to belive that the little ball that exploded simply was there, like that, by magic.
I find it hard to believe that people watch Tyler Perry movies. But they do, they really do.

Of course, nobody suggests magic. You may find this film interesting.

redacted

I find it hard to belive that the little ball that exploded simply was there, like that, by magic.

Even assuming some force put that little ball there, we still have to answer -- what put THAT force there? This line of questioning leads to infinite regress.

I never understood why people were content stopping once they got to the God part of the regression... the same question applies all the way down.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
agnostiscm>athiesm. Athiesm is more inclined to think there tehre is no god seeing as the word in greek is (without god" i dont wanna hear bs of my arguement being a strawman arguement. The only logical beleif is the beleif that anyhting is possible. Because you woudnt know otherwise

You do realize that much of what we "know" is based on calculations of probability, right? So it's pretty stupid to say that if we don't have 100% metaphysical certitude in X, that we shouldn't believe X. If we did, we'd be pretty well fucked.

Mole

Permabanned
The Nobel Prize in Physics

There was no little ball. There was no explosion.

The bloke down the hall has just receive the Nobel Prize for Physics for discovering that it is space that is expanding at an accelerating rate.

The Big Bang is a sop to those of a religious disposition, who start with an a priori belief in God, and so it make sense to them that God created the Big Bang.

The Big Bang is so anthropromorphic, surely that would make us suspicious. But no, we are here because we believe in a fake personality test, so why not go the whole hog and believe in God and the His Big Bang. Gosh, we were created by our father's big bang, so naturally we think the universe was created by God's Big Bang.

Unfortunately there is no evidence for God and His Big Bang, while the evidence for space expanding at an accelerating rate is so strong as to merit the Nobel Prize in Physics.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not a little ball, but a singularity. Before that point there was not time. I'm not an expert in physics, but I know enough that trying to place events of origin in continuous linear time doesn't make much sense, but we are driven to do it because that is how we perceive reality.

There is a great deal that human beings don't understand and possibly cannot understand. There isn't any other form of life we can observe that has the ability to comprehend everything that is, and so it is a mis-step to assume humans have that ability. The question of god is bigger than what we can address definitively, but only if deconstructed to the point that we aren't trying to assign specific definitions to what god is. The more specific the parameters we place on the concept of god, the greater the burden to prove it and the less likely it is of existing. When you follow this reasoning, you deconstruct the concept back to a point of the indefinable.

Mole

Permabanned
Not a little ball, but a singularity.

If it were a singularity, it would be impossible for it to expand. But we know the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate, so we can conclude the universe did not begin in a singularity.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I just wanted to know how exactlly does Atheism help you in your life? I mean how does it make you feel better to belive there is no God?

This is not meant to insult anybody but I'm just facinated about how some people can live without any kind of faith.
I don't believe in things because it makes me feel good. That's what children do.

Kraska

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Even assuming some force put that little ball there, we still have to answer -- what put THAT force there? This line of questioning leads to infinite regress.

I never understood why people were content stopping once they got to the God part of the regression... the same question applies all the way down.

Ideed this leads to a serie of questions that can never find an answer. That's why I said that God is beyond our logical mind which is limited.

redacted

Ideed this leads to a serie of questions that can never find an answer. That's why I said that God is beyond our logical mind which is limited.

Well isn't a question that leads to infinite regress kind of pointless, then? I don't see why pointless questions are evidence for God at all. "This question is set up so that it's impossible to answer" is way different from "this question is impossible to answer because God is beyond our understanding". That leap makes absolutely no sense to me.

It's like "what would happen if Pinocchio said 'my nose will grow'?" It's set up so that any answer is logically incorrect. How paradoxes are evidence for anything is beyond me.

By the way, did you know that this is a valid argument?
I am good.
I am not good.
Therefore God exists.

Playing around with logic is just that... playing around.

Kraska

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Well isn't a question that leads to infinite regress kind of pointless, then? I don't see why pointless questions are evidence for God at all. "This question is set up so that it's impossible to answer" is way different from "this question is impossible to answer because God is beyond our understanding". That leap makes absolutely no sense to me.

It's like "what would happen if Pinocchio said 'my nose will grow'?" It's set up so that any answer is logically incorrect. How paradoxes are evidence for anything is beyond me.

By the way, did you know that this is a valid argument?
I am good.
I am not good.
Therefore God exists.

Playing around with logic is just that... playing around.

I don't understand why do you consider that this question leads to regress? I find it more of a qustion that leads to others without any king of regress or progress.

Nic

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I just wanted to know how exactlly does Atheism help you in your life? I mean how does it make you feel better to belive there is no God?

Atheism doesn't make me feel anything. It's just the most logical conclusion. I can't believe in something simply because I like the way it makes me feel. Otherwise, I'd believe that I was independently wealthy and having a torrid love affair with David Bowie. That would make me feel good, but it's not true.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

This is not meant to insult anybody but I'm just facinated about how some people can live without any kind of faith.

Contrary question: How does faith help you in your life ?

Is the belief in a God or a christian community better than the belief in one self, ones family or an idea ?

Kraska

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Contrary question: How does faith help you in your life ?

Is the belief in a God or a christian community better than the belief in one self, ones family or an idea ?

It helps me by giving me hope that my life is not just a program that simply acts according some comands given by the physical body. It gives me hope that I won't die and everything will finish just like some useless body.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
How many cycles of living across time and space does alchemical transformation create the creator who no longer partakes of the illusion within the illusion of the illusion?