• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Describe a good person

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
A good person is: defiantly irrational.

Hah!

heart

heart on fire
Maybe honest, kind and responsible are the stereotypes for the word good?

Like dorareever's posts, good and evil don't really exist. It could even mean self-confident. Most say 'good' people don't cause harm, and don't create it. So aren't most normal people good people?

This is definitely a concept worth exploring, but having done so myself I find that I disagree.

I agree with Oberon. Good and evil do exist.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
A good person isn't an ideal, it's a compromise of ideals. Note, for example, that nearly all the posts above appear to imply that this ideal of a 'good' person is gender-neutral. This reminds me, of course, of the last good person I met.

I was driving out on the interstate and ended up with a flat tire. Normally, I would have just driven a damn car on the shoulder of the road until I got to some place that I could get it fixed, but I was also out of gas. Also, the battery was dead and the radiator was spewing something that could have been steam, but smelled like something else entirely.

I was going to just abandon the car and steal another when a police cruiser rolled up behind me. That was when I met it. It popped out of the cruiser and bounded towards me cheerily, calling in a voice that was either a deep alto or a high tenor, "Anything I can do to help you, mister?"

I frowned, looked at the car and breathed in an acrid fume or two. I smirked at the officer and replied, "Can you make these things fly?"

"I sure can't, but if I could I would!" it said in a cool, consoling voice. "I'll tell you what, though, I'll call a tow truck for you. Do you have insurance?"

"Nope," I admitted. Why the hell would I insure a car that I stole a few hours earlier?

The officer smiled. "No problem. It's a little sketchy, maybe, but I think you can get a tow off of mine, no charge."

So far, I was convinced that this was the the most genuinely good person I had ever met. Eager to be of very limited assistance, always with something to offer and not pushy in any way. I almost felt bad about having broken the law, but not bad enough to try to maneuver myself into finding an opening to manipulate this sap, "Is there anything I can do for you?"

It smiled. "I'm sure I can think of something," it said.

That's when the story really started getting good.

IrishStallion819

MBTI Type
INFJ
I kind of grindge when I see someone describing someone as a "good" person because we all have our faults n we screw up n we all have inner demons which gets the better of us from time to time..but not to cause conflict ......I would say for me the idea of a good person would besomeone who does the right thing no matter what the stakes are...n stays away from the "popular thing"...Also someone whos honest, trustworthy, reliable, courteous, and someone that encourages n motivates others....Just the person that influences u into remembering them way after their gone.. Just someone that after spending an hour or day with, just encourages you to continue on with life n makes u believe theirs still respectful n admirable people out in the world...

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
One who understands and accepts the consequences of their actions.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
I agree with Oberon. Good and evil do exist.

They exist as humanly defined concepts, not as universal or absolute qualities in the natural universe. If this thread proves anything it is that "Good" and "Evil" are subjective because the perceptions of those concepts change depending upon who you speak to. Each individual holds their own "objective" vision of what those concepts mean based upon their own personal values, but just as people have different values, they have different perspectives of what good and evil are. More than anything, the question of this thread is demonstrating people's values. It's actually kind of fascinating getting that kind of look into people's psyche.

One who understands and accepts the consequences of their actions.

So you can't be good if you don't understand the consequences of your actions?

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
So you can't be good if you don't understand the consequences of your actions?
You can have good intentions, but as we know very well, the road to Hell is paved with them.

In my experience, people who understand the implications of what they do tend to be the most level-headed.

I can have good intentions trying to console someone, but if I don't know what not to say as well as what to say, I could unintentionally hurt someone.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
You can have good intentions, but as we know very well, the road to Hell is paved with them.

In my experience, people who understand the implications of what they do tend to be the most level-headed.

I can have good intentions trying to console someone, but if I don't know what not to say as well as what to say, I could unintentionally hurt someone.

Interesting. You value responsiblity and competence.

I might have to go through this thread and determine what values each individual holds from how they answered the question.

O

Oberon

What if they understand the implications of what they do, and happily do things that harm people anyway?

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
What if they understand the implications of what they do, and happily do things that harm people anyway?
But that's just it. Someone who understands the implications of everything they do would understand that to harm others is to harm yourself.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
A snapshot at values...

Honesty, Friendliness, Kindness, Benevolence, Morality, Altruism, Modesty, Independence, Self Respect, Helpfulness.

Tolerance.

Compassion, Independence, Honesty, Critical thinking, Humor, Imagination, Wonder, Mellowness, Courage

Empathy, Openness, Tolerance, Warmth, Strength, Gentleness, Courage, Loyalty, Honesty, Selflessness

Generosity, Intelligence, Politeness, Meticulousness, Sympathy, Adroit, Artistic ability, and Practicality.

Tolerance, Acceptance, Respect

Wisdom, Responsibility, Fairness, Honesty, Knowledge

Honesty, Morality, Courage, Intelligence, Modesty, Strength, Self Control, Determination, Responsibility, Kindness, Generosity, Assertiveness, Clarity

Philosophy, Altruism, Ethics, Morality, Love

Openness, Empathy, Responsibility, Independence, Diligence

Compassion, Independence, Honesty, Critical thinking, Humor, Imagination, Wonder, Mellowness, Courage

Openness, Friendship, Humor

Respect, Honesty, Kindness

Patience, Forgiveness, Love

Philosophy, Rationality

Philosophy, Openness, Humor, Trust, Patience, Altruism, Memory

Benevolence, Tolerance

Consistency, Loyalty, Consideration

Critical thinking, Honesty, Independence, Intelligence, Humor, Confidence, Philosophy, Diligence

Honesty, Kindness, Humility

Compassion, Questioning Oneself, Self Awareness, Courage

Honesty, Trust, Reliability, Courtesy, Encouragement

Responsibility and Confidence

IrishStallion819

MBTI Type
INFJ
In that they know they're being destructive or in that they do it out of a lack of self-worth?

Probably both...Though people tend to give people crap because of the lack of self worth....no matter how confidant or put together they seem...but yet there are people that just love givin people a time..

O

Oberon

But that's just it. Someone who understands the implications of everything they do would understand that to harm others is to harm yourself.

Provided, of course, they share your perspective on the matter.

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Probably both...Though people tend to give people crap because of the lack of self worth....no matter how confidant or put together they seem...but yet there are people that just love givin people a time..
Why not take the time to find out why they act like bullies? Bullies and mean people and whathaveyou are still people. And if all it takes to get someone to stop being a bully is to show them some validation then aren't we just as responsible for his bullying by not doing what we know will prevent it?

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
And after adding them all up, this forum holds the following values in the highest regards...

Honesty
Altruism/Generosity
Humor
Independence/Responsibility
Kindness/Compassion/Empathy
Morality/Ethics/Fairness
Openness/Tolerance
Critical Thinking (The ability to question oneself and others)
Philosophy (The search for knowledge and truth)

dorareever

MBTI Type
INFP
good and evil might exist as concepts, but do good and evil people exist? people that are completely good or evil? I don't think so. So for the purpose of this thread good and evil don't exist.

Actions can be good or evil; not people. Even people who might perform many evil actions aren't *evil*. You can't be an ideal incarnate can you?

Morals are very dependent on culture, much more than people would usually like to believe, but, sure, I do think that there are things that are wrong no matter the circumstance; still I might be able to find an explanation for them, and understand the people who did them. No matter how twisted or sick or criminal someone might be, he's still human. For me the idea of human excludes any extremes like good or evil.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
good and evil might exist as concepts, but do good and evil people exist? people that are completely good or evil? I don't think so. So for the purpose of this thread good and evil don't exist.

Actions can be good or evil; not people. Even people who might perform many evil actions aren't *evil*. You can't be an ideal incarnate can you?

Morals are very dependent on culture, much more than people would usually like to believe, but, sure, I do think that there are things that are wrong no matter the circumstance; still I might be able to find an explanation for them, and understand the people who did them. No matter how twisted or sick or criminal someone might be, he's still human. For me the idea of human excludes any extremes like good or evil.

Are you sure you aren't an INFJ? :shock: