• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

abortion

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought I personally was pro abortion

Just a quibble -- but you mean you were like, "Abortion is great, everyone should have one"?

(That's technically what the phrase "pro-abortion" would suggest. Which I doubt ANYONE -- except maybe Uber, when he's trying to provoke a reaction -- would claim to think.)

So that seems to me to be a phrase to avoid, since it's a misrepresentation of the pro-choice stance.

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
With that said, the only time i think abortion should be an option, is if the female was raped. I can see why you may not want to have that child in your life as a reminder.

What about if you find out the child is MR or blind? If so, where do you draw the line?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It's interesting that scantilyclad became more pro-life upon becoming pregnant. I have heard that a lot from women who were pro-choice before they became mothers. But I was pro-life and became more pro-choice. It is a HUGE and life-changing experience, having a child. IMO, it should always be voluntary. (Which is not to say that accidental pregnancies should always be aborted, FAR from it- even accidental pregnancies can become voluntary).

Adoption is always an option, true- but in many cases it's not that viable an option. I think people throw it out there like it is, but in many cases the same thing that makes it a bad idea to keep the baby also makes it a bad idea to carry it to term. Addiction, for example. In a perfect world people would use the opportunity to get clean and fix their problems, but we all know this is not a perfect world.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:shock: Not THIS topic!

I personally am pro-choice, with the thoughts "if you don't like abortions don't get one" which I see can be annoying to those with an evangelical zeal to save everyone from themselves. I don't think that a fetus is a human being until it can survive on it's own outside of the womb.

I also think that AvereX had a good point by bringing up the social and economic implications- for those of you who have not read Freakonomics there's a chapter linking abortion and crime rates. Countries with no abortions have more unwanted children, unwanted children are often neglected by thier parents and grow up to be bad citizens. Having a child who you do not want and will not treat well is like getting a pit bull who you are not going to train properly and then releasing it into society. Some people just aren't up to dealing with that sort of responsibility- as another bumper sticker says "just because you can reproduce doesn't mean that you should."

I think that the choice should be left up to the woman who will have her life changed by the pregnancy and child- it is her body that is in question. I think that there is a benefit to sex for the sake of pleasure, and when you add in a horrible threat like "you could get knocked up and it will cut back on your independance for the next 18 years and there's nothing that you can do about it" a lot of sex will lose its zeal.

Nothing annoys me more than all of the abortion protestors who come out on campus every spring with thier pictures of aborted fetuses and "graveyard of the innocents." I have a right to think the way I do without being assulted with people handing out flyers on my way to class and trying to inform me that my thoughts are wrong. My decisions are mine and what happens to my soul is my responsibility, not thiers. Seriously, they should be working with the unwanted children helping mentor them in life so that thier existance might mean something instead of trying to change someone's opinion on the matter. Like my thoughts on many evangelicals- actions speak louder than words- if you care go do something about it, don't annoy me.

mooky

(Which is not to say that accidental pregnancies should always be aborted, FAR from it- even accidental pregnancies can become voluntary).

Yes, lets not put accidental pregnacies in with unwanted ones; my oldest son was unplanned, but that dosen't make him unwanted.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess another problem is that we have been spoiled to think we can separate sex from reproduction. This is possible to a degree, but obviously not in a foolproof way.

[I suppose in older times, it was more obvious that sex could and would lead to pregnancy, which could easily result in the mother's death depending on the culture. And then there would simply be the retroactive abortion, such as abandoning babies to die from exposure and such.]

In any case, at that point, valid "goods" (rather than evil vs good) start to be pitted against each other. Babies haven't done anything wrong or 'deserve death' ... but there is conflict over whether their needs outweigh the needs of others who have already established a life, but whom had more control in the say (in terms of sexual activity).

And there's the problem of women always being stuck with the problem, whereas men can usually dodge out of the way depending on the culture.

And the truth that a high percentage of conceptions still end in miscarriage (basically, "natural abortion")... so an awful lot of "sentient human beings" are dying if human life at conception = adult human life.

It's funny that the assumption of a separate soul (which doesn't really appear in the OT) is what fuels most of the idea of fertilized eggs being humans. I have heard other ideas, that souls develop and mature and "grow"... but people don't seem to like that because it would suggest that an older soul might be more valuable than a younger one, if you have to choose. I don't know.

Just... very very complicated.

I was rather disappointed, the local fundie had pulled down his pics for awhile (he just had a sign saying, "What would have happened if Mary had aborted Jesus?" ...of course, I thought, "Well, that woulda really sucked to have God's omnipotent salvation plan for mankind ruined by a human being") ... but now he's back to his old tricks billboarding 5' x 5' aborted fetus shots again.

I wish he'd be more constructive -- assuming that people choose to have an abortion just because they're evil or stupid (and thus just need to be beaten with a 2x4 over the head) is a pretty awful way to go about things.

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
Owl: isn't the first bolded an assumption?

:)

Very perceptive. It is, but not an unsupportable one.

God (the generic name for the eternal creator) is infinite, and thus indivisible. God cannot decide to reveal a fraction of his power or wisdom, just as he cannot create a rock that is too big for him to lift.

Because if the first is negated, then the second can be explained in one word, albeit flippantly: Humor.

The universe has a sense of humor all its own, some might say.

And all this is being approached from the teleological viewpoint. What if one adheres instead to the belief of random coincidences and chaos? ie, that there is in effect no "grand design", and the universe, and life, are just chance creations of atoms striking together?

People are free to believe what they want. If someone were to believe the above, I would suggest they back up and ask if eternalilty may be meaningfully predicated of material existence.

Back to the topic though: the idea of life is something that has always been debated. Some would say it begins at the moment of conception. Others, when sentience begins (which is why many use the cut off of the first trimester as being legal for abortion: because before this, the foetus is not that developed yet). What's interesting is that, the moment the foetus has developed a nerve system, it will react to external stimuli on its own already. What constitutes life then? Sentience, or just the mere fact of being?

Slippery slopes.

I agree with Ivy. There is no real debate about when life begins, or even if the fetus is human. What is debated is whether a fetus is a person, or at what point it has been "ensouled," or whatnot.

If sentience were necessary for life (personhood), then people who are in a coma, or simply asleep, would not count as persons.

I'd like to continue, (this is getting good), but I've a class starting. Good night.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I used to be pro-choice, but I've been around so many children lately that I can't bear to call myself that anymore. I don't consider myself conservative, but I just can't have some kind of moral relativism in regards to abortion. I just don't see why the baby should have to die. Abortion is selfish; people just think about how it's going to affect their life, and so they are willing to kill someone in order to make their life easier. Sex is designed for making babies. If you don't think you're ready to have a baby then you should have thought about that before having sex. It's common sense. Put it up for adoption if you don't want it, but why is it even an option to kill it? Some people say that they are "being responsible" by aborting the baby, but really they should have been responsible preconception. Every action has a consequence and everyone knows that. The baby is the only one who is innocent in the entire matter.

I had a friend that found out her mother was originally going to abort her and their relationship has eroded away. Just imagine you were in her shoes.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
firstly, is this straying off topic? :unsure: but anyway, yea, interesting. let's explore! :holy:

(disclaimer: note that the following are pure theoretical discussion, and may not necessarily be my own personal stand. i wish to provide a counterpoint so that this interesting debate may develop. :yes: )

Very perceptive. It is, but not an unsupportable one.

God (the generic name for the eternal creator) is infinite, and thus indivisible. God cannot decide to reveal a fraction of his power or wisdom, just as he cannot create a rock that is too big for him to lift.

If a Being is omnipotent, wouldn't he surpass mathematics? because mathematics are founded based on the known world. ie, known world --->mathematics.

But if some being was truly omnipotent, wouldn't He be beyond mathematics? ie, beyond the regular assumptions of infinite and indivisible.

Another dimension: where one can be infinite yet divisible.

in other words: an infinite being can choose to reveal a fraction of his power.

so the solution to that age old paradox of the rock can perhaps be answered in this: Sentience.

Knowing that one has the power, you choose not to create that rock too big to lift.

So it never needs to be answered.

Because that, would be omnipotence, isn't it? Power is not in exercise, but in restraint. It is knowing the answer, and not needing to test it.

Because the proof of God is not in science. It is in faith: They are complements of different dimensions.

(or at least, that is how i figure it. :thinking: )

People are free to believe what they want. If someone were to believe the above, I would suggest they back up and ask if eternalilty may be meaningfully predicated of material existence.

what if one does not believe in eternity then? :devil:

I agree with Ivy. There is no real debate about when life begins, or even if the fetus is human. What is debated is whether a fetus is a person, or at what point it has been "ensouled," or whatnot.

If sentience were necessary for life (personhood), then people who are in a coma, or simply asleep, would not count as persons.

I'd like to continue, (this is getting good), but I've a class starting. Good night.

yeps. which was why i had said slippery slopes: Because straight from the definition of the embryo/sentience, you would have to deal with the issues of handicapped people not being 'human', and comatose patients etc. It was the basis for Hitler's Holocaust. The definition of the 'true race.' Ie, defining sentience and what makes life, leads into the topic of eugenics.

and this, is why i am pro-choice. and will never force my choice onto others. it is far too complicated a world to simply be black or white. or that my choice = right, and everyone else = wrong.

to me: circumstances dictate what is perceived as right or wrong. A 15 year old girl badly traumatised by rape would not be seen as 'wrong' to get an abortion. But one who's had multiple abortions as a crude form of birth control would, likely, be seen as wrong.

who judges? society.

based on what? circumstances.

how can there ever be a cut-and-dried answer, then?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
to me: circumstances dictate what is perceived as right or wrong. A 15 year old girl badly traumatised by rape would not be seen as 'wrong' to get an abortion. But one who's had multiple abortions as a crude form of birth control would, likely, be seen as wrong.

That's what is interesting to me.

Because, regardless of the mom's circumstances, the baby's "innocence" has never changed. It still doesn't "deserve" to die.

Yet in one situation, people would bend the rules for the mom, in the other they would not. Logically, then, it's the mom and her situation which is the basis for the decision.. and NOT the often-focused-on ideal of the "baby being a human life."

The baby's humanity has no bearing apparently on society's decision, it's all the mother's situation, yet the position is called "pro-life [in terms of baby]." It's not, technically, if one makes exceptions for the mom's circumstances.

(I am not criticizing a particular stance, just pointing out a mislabeling/inconsistency as it is practiced.)

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Just a quibble -- but you mean you were like, "Abortion is great, everyone should have one"?

(That's technically what the phrase "pro-abortion" would suggest. Which I doubt ANYONE -- except maybe Uber, when he's trying to provoke a reaction -- would claim to think.)

So that seems to me to be a phrase to avoid, since it's a misrepresentation of the pro-choice stance.

I guess i chose the wrong words there. I was meaning pro abortion in the pro-choice sense.

I'm still really pro-choice for other people, but i would never choose to abort my own child. i hope i cleared that up a bit. i shouldn't post when i first wake up in the morning.:blush:

MBTI Type
INTJ
I guess another problem is that we have been spoiled to think we can separate sex from reproduction.

Agreed x100!

I actually don't know for sure if I am pro-choice or pro-life, which sounds ridiculous for such a hot button issue. But one thing I do know is that it bothers me when people separate sex from reproduction. Sometimes it seems like people are almost indignant that they got pregnant, like it's a birthright to enjoy sex free of consequences. That's what sex is FOR. Nature only made us like it so that we'll keep doing it. It's like driving 100mph and saying it's the cop's fault you got a speeding ticket. In this sense I suppose I can say I'm pro-choice, but that the choice is made when you decide to engage in behavior designed to produce a child, not when you decide to abort.

I know a lot of the viewpoint I mention above comes from women who argue that they're the ones who have to suffer the consequences of an unwanted pregnancy and so they should have the authority to decide its fate. It's a natural reaction. But again, this is something nature decided...women give birth. It's not something that a cabal of evil men decided at some point in the distant past to keep women down. It's just a biological fact. A lot of the resentment of this fact is directed at men, and I think many women feel that the best way to combat this and promote equality is to legislate the uterus into irrelevance. As if the best way to become equal is to wipe away all traces of femininity. I can't pinpoint what I find so distasteful about this, but it just seems so against the natural laws that it feels like hubris. It's almost the exact same feeling I get when contemplating genetic engineering.

I suspect I've wandered off topic, so I'll stop now :)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
With that said, the only time i think abortion should be an option, is if the female was raped. I can see why you may not want to have that child in your life as a reminder.
Just out of curiosity, really I'm not picking on you, but maybe you can explain this puzzle to me: why is it a valid reason to end a pregnancy out of a dread of being reminded of rape, and not a valid reason to end one out of concern that you're not emotionally or financially ready to care for a child appropriately? If anything it's more admirable in the second case, at least to me....

I'm just wondering because I hear the "rape exception" so often and it's never made sense to me. You can't call something murder and then turn around and say "oh but it's ok if the mother's sufficiently traumatized". It really has to be an all or nothing thing, for legal purposes, or it just makes no sense.

For the record, I am firmly pro-choice, although it would be extremely difficult for me emotionally to go through with an abortion (I think I still would though, at this point in my life - I would be a terrible mother right now and no child deserves that).

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I've always wondered about that, Randomnity. It seems like a pretty huge hole in hard-line pro-life reasoning. Nobody who says that would approve of infanticide under those circumstances, which implies to me that even THEY see a difference between an embryo and a born child or even a late-term fetus.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I add my confusion to this. Rape and incest exceptions have never made sense to me. Either it's murder or it's not. To me, if you make exceptions then you have started sliding down the slippery slope. You've already endorsed abortion, now it's just a matter of on whose terms it's done.

It reminds me of the old punch line, "Well, now we know you're a whore, we just have to haggle on price."

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
This issue is a problem if you have a deontological approach to ethics, where you think it is wrong to kill a human. Then the issue is down to if the fetus is a human being or not, and if it is, it is wrong to kill it. In the biological sense a fetus obviously is a human, and I think any other approach to determining what a human being is will become quite arbitrary.

From a utilitarian perspective there is obviously no problem in arguing for abortion, although you can argue the other way around also, but few will do.

Then you have certain people like me who think natural rights and stuff like that is crap, and has nothing to do with reality, and think of course it is not wrong to kill a fetus, just like it's not wrong to kill a person or an animal. All ethics is arbitrary and that these debates are utterly pointless, objectively and subjectively.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
I'm just wondering because I hear the "rape exception" so often and it's never made sense to me. You can't call something murder and then turn around and say "oh but it's ok if the mother's sufficiently traumatized". It really has to be an all or nothing thing, for legal purposes, or it just makes no sense.

I've always wondered about that, Randomnity. It seems like a pretty huge hole in hard-line pro-life reasoning.

I add my confusion to this. Rape and incest exceptions have never made sense to me. Either it's murder or it's not. To me, if you make exceptions then you have started sliding down the slippery slope. You've already endorsed abortion, now it's just a matter of on whose terms it's done.

It reminds me of the old punch line, "Well, now we know you're a whore, we just have to haggle on price."

Add me, too. It's all been said, and I agree with those above me.

Agreed x100!

I actually don't know for sure if I am pro-choice or pro-life, which sounds ridiculous for such a hot button issue. But one thing I do know is that it bothers me when people separate sex from reproduction. Sometimes it seems like people are almost indignant that they got pregnant, like it's a birthright to enjoy sex free of consequences. That's what sex is FOR. Nature only made us like it so that we'll keep doing it. It's like driving 100mph and saying it's the cop's fault you got a speeding ticket. In this sense I suppose I can say I'm pro-choice, but that the choice is made when you decide to engage in behavior designed to produce a child, not when you decide to abort.

I know a lot of the viewpoint I mention above comes from women who argue that they're the ones who have to suffer the consequences of an unwanted pregnancy and so they should have the authority to decide its fate. It's a natural reaction. But again, this is something nature decided...women give birth. It's not something that a cabal of evil men decided at some point in the distant past to keep women down. It's just a biological fact. A lot of the resentment of this fact is directed at men, and I think many women feel that the best way to combat this and promote equality is to legislate the uterus into irrelevance. As if the best way to become equal is to wipe away all traces of femininity. I can't pinpoint what I find so distasteful about this, but it just seems so against the natural laws that it feels like hubris. It's almost the exact same feeling I get when contemplating genetic engineering.

I suspect I've wandered off topic, so I'll stop now

Hmm, hmm, hm.

I see where you're coming from, and I think that's a very insightful way to put it: "As if the best way to become equal is to wipe away all traces of femininity." I've often contemplated equality of women along these lines as well. The bottom line is, stereotypically masculine qualities are and have always been more valued than feminine ones: strength, aggression, confidence, assertiveness, scholarliness, intelligence, and other masculine qualities are more honored and revered than nurturing qualities, even today. Men have always had all the say in government, and men's concerns have simply always been more important than women's. Empires were built on masculine qualities - or at least, masculine qualities probably got all the credit and glory, but in reality the nurturing qualities and the DOMESTIC SPHERE were just as necessary for the success and prosperity of society.

Women have given up an ENORMOUS amount of their femininity in their search for equality, as though, in effect, "The only way to gain equality is to wipe away all traces of femininity." This angers me, because it seems we continue to place feminine qualities on the backburner and idolize masculine qualities. Look at how acceptable it is for a woman to pursue a career, i.e. a "man's" role, yet how completely unacceptable it is for a man to display more feminine qualities: for example GAY is such a popular insult, and it just seems to be a perfect example of how society still malignes femininity, especially in men.

Besides the uterus being laid by the wayside, consider the other feminine practices women have given up. For one thing, instead of staying at home to rear kids, women now enter the work force as purposefully as men. Women have to a large extent shedded their softer, gentler behaviors and taken hold of stronger, more aggressive, more confident behaviors in order to find fulfillment and success in their careers, i.e. outside the domestic sphere of child-rearing and community-fostering. However, something we may have failed to realize is the extreme importance of fostering a healthy domestic sphere as well. In other words, I think society (and women especially) are gobbling up these new pathways to fulfillment that they never were allowed to enjoy before, but it's at the expense of a more family- and community-oriented homelife that previous generations enjoyed. I think a lot of society's loneliness and anxiety may be due to more and more women basically shedding their nurturing roles for more masculine roles, which seems to leave a tremendous gaping whole in the community (but I could be wrong).

New doors have been opened for women and new pathways of fulfillment have been paved, ones that for centuries have been open to men but not to women, but does anyone realize the enormous strain it is to raise children and foster a sense of family and community while at the same time being a successful career person? Sure, it would be nice to have several meaningful pathways to fulfillment, but can women really double-dip, and what are the consequences of trying to have your cake and eat it too? It seems downright impossible to do BOTH at the same time, yet this is what so many women feel pressured to accomplish. Sure, they're entitled to it if they can manage it, but I don't see how. It seems like a preposterous amount of work.

I like the equality women are still in the process of achieving, but it angers and anguishes me that this equality comes in the form of women adopting more masculine roles and in the still-practiced behavior of undercutting and undervaluing feminine qualities. DAMNIT.

Anyway, this was SO a tangent! :blush: Well, split this into a new thread if you must, but in order to close my post with something more on topic, I'll just say that I'm not positive where I sit on the issue of abortion, either, which doesn't sound insane at all to me, FM.

I'm pro-choice in theory, and I don't think reproduction can be expected to be completely separate from sex, but I also understand people's wish to enjoy sex without the consequences. I pity those who find themselves with the consequences, but I know they agreed to the risk when they engaged in those behaviors. Still, as Randomnity said, if I chanced to get pregnant at this point in my life, would I be able to rear a child? Hmm. It's a rhetorical question that HAS no answer, but I want my right to abort the child if I were to decide it was in everyone's best interest, especially mine, but also the interest of the child were I unable to care for it. I think I'd PROBABLY keep it, but that statement really says nothing about what would actually happen in that scenario. I would likely find myself with a very supportive family, so I'd probably be a lucky one and have that support to fall back on, but I know there are women out there with nothing close to the support system I have, so I have to think of them and their situations, too.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Just out of curiosity, really I'm not picking on you, but maybe you can explain this puzzle to me: why is it a valid reason to end a pregnancy out of a dread of being reminded of rape, and not a valid reason to end one out of concern that you're not emotionally or financially ready to care for a child appropriately? If anything it's more admirable in the second case, at least to me....

For the record, I am firmly pro-choice, although it would be extremely difficult for me emotionally to go through with an abortion (I think I still would though, at this point in my life - I would be a terrible mother right now and no child deserves that).

I guess i'm looking at the situation quite irrationally. I believe the things that i believe because of the way i feel about them, i can't really give you a reason as to why i believe what i have said,other than that it feels right to me, however i will say that my mother was 16 years old when she had me, i don't believe that she was emotionally or financially read to have me, but i'm damn sure that she decided to keep me around. My mother loved me, and wanted to keep me and she found ways to do that and i think that saying someone is not financially ready or emotionally ready is just an excuse. I think people should own up to what they did. If they conceived a child knowing that they weren't ready, it was their own mistake. However, if a woman was raped, she had no control what so ever over getting pregnant, she had no choice, and i guess thats where i see that it might be okay. I guess i just believe in doing what is right, and i don't see abortion as the right thing to do unless the mother had no control of the situation what so ever. I understand what you are saying as far as that it has to be all or nothing, but there seems to be exceptions to all rules..right?

I know you aren't picking on me, i also have trouble trying to explain myself sometimes, so i don't mind you expecting me to explain stuff. :)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess i'm looking at the situation quite irrationally. I believe the things that i believe because of the way i feel about them, i can't really give you a reason as to why i believe what i have said,other than that it feels right to me, however i will say that my mother was 16 years old when she had me, i don't believe that she was emotionally or financially read to have me, but i'm damn sure that she decided to keep me around. My mother loved me, and wanted to keep me and she found ways to do that and i think that saying someone is not financially ready or emotionally ready is just an excuse. I think people should own up to what they did. If they conceived a child knowing that they weren't ready, it was their own mistake. However, if a woman was raped, she had no control what so ever over getting pregnant, she had no choice, and i guess thats where i see that it might be okay. I guess i just believe in doing what is right, and i don't see abortion as the right thing to do unless the mother had no control of the situation what so ever. I understand what you are saying as far as that it has to be all or nothing, but there seems to be exceptions to all rules..right?

I know you aren't picking on me, i also have trouble trying to explain myself sometimes, so i don't mind you expecting me to explain stuff. :)
Thanks for the explanation. :) That makes sense to me, actually...while I was looking at it from the objective, killing a fetus, point of view, you were looking at it from the subjective "mother's choice" point of view.

Interesting. I can see how such a situation would (partially) take the "blame" off of the mother, although it wouldn't change the actual "crime" committed.

edit: perhaps the objective viewpoint is better for legal issues, while the subjective one is more applicable for "moral" issues...ie, judging someone for having one?

edit edit: to clarify, while I can see your view, I still don't think people should be selectively allowed to commit crimes against innocent others (if an action is defined as such). While the situation definitely makes the action more understandable, it doesn't make it more moral, per se.