• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A TypoC guide to philosophy for intelligent people?

ygolo

My termites win
I was interested in philosophy in my younger days, but I focused mostly on epistemology, logic, and the philosophy of science.

I find myself craving knowledge that is deep and profound. I have found some deep insights from logic, mathematics, and physics...and continue to be puzzled by some deep mysteries in biology and physics.

However, I found I liked the "flavor" of philosophical insights, and sometimes that flavor is what I crave.

Can anyone guide me to some places where I can get these cravings fulfilled?

Note: I am a slow reader, and I have little patience for wading through fluff and B.S. to find the little nuggets of truth.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I assume you have read Wittgenstein, right? (Philosophical Investigations moreso than Tractatus)

ygolo

My termites win
I have read of and about Wittgenstein, but did not read his works directly.

Like I said, I read slowly. Wittgenstein was characterized as someone obsessed with language and its limitations, and I had already read Chomsky by then, so it seemed like reading Wittgenstein would be more of a history lesson.

I suppose reading him may be interesting, and their philosophies may be quite different. But I rarely pay attention to the conclusions philosophers come to. I like the questions they bring up, and the concepts they create.

When it comes to language, the concepts presented in this short piece seems to me the peek of sophistication for a layperson. Also, it is "modern" and most importantly compact and to the point.

Spurgeon

MBTI Type
xNxx
I was interested in philosophy in my younger days, but I focused mostly on epistemology, logic, and the philosophy of science.

I find myself craving knowledge that is deep and profound. I have found some deep insights from logic, mathematics, and physics...and continue to be puzzled by some deep mysteries in biology and physics.

However, I found I liked the "flavor" of philosophical insights, and sometimes that flavor is what I crave.

Can anyone guide me to some places where I can get these cravings fulfilled?

Note: I am a slow reader, and I have little patience for wading through fluff and B.S. to find the little nuggets of truth.

I know what you mean, Ygolo.

Have you read any of the books from the "......For Beginners" or "Introducing......" series?

In case you don't know what I'm talking about, here are some examples:

nipostmodernismb.jpg

kierkegaard-for-beginners-donald-d-palmer-paperback-cover-art.jpg

These books are great for getting the flavor of different ideas, philosophies,etc. without having to wade through endless fluff and B.S.
They're really concise, and their effective and clever use humor and cartoons is an added bonus!

Oh--and they're really affordable. (On average, about $10-15 new, and $4-5 used on Amazon.com)

Most of em are on Amazon, and if you're interested, here are some links to the publishers' websites:
http://www.forbeginnersbooks.com/
http://www.introducingbooks.com/

Hope that helps! :)

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
I don't know how well you deal with the Chinese poetic essay style, but Zhuangzhi is a pretty interesting read.

On second thought, that is good ideas hidden in fluff and BS so you probably wouldn't like it.

ygolo

My termites win
I know what you mean, Ygolo.

Have you read any of the books from the "......For Beginners" or "Introducing......" series?

In case you don't know what I'm talking about, here are some examples:

nipostmodernismb.jpg

kierkegaard-for-beginners-donald-d-palmer-paperback-cover-art.jpg

These books are great for getting the flavor of different ideas, philosophies,etc. without having to wade through endless fluff and B.S.
They're really concise, and their effective and clever use humor and cartoons is an added bonus!

Oh--and they're really affordable. (On average, about $10-15 new, and $4-5 used on Amazon.com)

Most of em are on Amazon, and if you're interested, here are some links to the publishers' websites:
http://www.forbeginnersbooks.com/
http://www.introducingbooks.com/

Hope that helps! :)

I have some of the "introducing" series. I was aware of the others too. Thanks. Any one in particular, you enjoyed?

Thanks. I'll see how much of this I can get to.

I don't know how well you deal with the Chinese poetic essay style, but Zhuangzhi is a pretty interesting read.

On second thought, that is good ideas hidden in fluff and BS so you probably wouldn't like it.

Hehe. I'll keep it in mind still.

Spurgeon

MBTI Type
xNxx
I have some of the "introducing" series. I was aware of the others too. Thanks. Any one in particular, you enjoyed?
I especially liked Introducing Psychoanalysis, Nietzsche for Beginners, Kierkegaard for Beginners, and Deconstruction for Beginners.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
i know it's almost like voodoo. but...Intelligent Design.
even wikipedia hasn't crapped it up yet.

Last edited:

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
I'm doing a masters in philosophy :)

The standard place to go is the stanford encyclopedia of philosophy. They've got most things covered there. However, if you're impatient, you may not want to weave through all those details. Perhaps a podcast would be better, since you can hear some discussion without all the unnecessary machinery? There was an enfp poster here who used to post here, but banned himself because he didn't want to deal with the 'drama' (which he often just made for himself); he posted a link to a philosophy podcast here. I never tried it myself though

PS. Try some metaphysics! It's such a broad region of philosophy, but a lot of it doesn't get covered at an undergrad level. It's not for everybody, but I enjoy it. There are different brands of metaphysics too, so there's probably something there for you.

ygolo

My termites win
There is an NPR show called Philosophy talk (based out of Stanford). I usually found that interesting.

I think there is an introducing metaphysics book somewhere in my home. Perhaps when I get organized, I will find it.