• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is Philosophy?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I insist that the first thread of this topic be imbued with meaningful content.

Why dont we go ahead and try to clearly define for what we understand philosophical discussions to be. Set a standard once and for all, so in the future we may know what to hold to, so we can avoid many of the decidedly unphilosophical exchanges that took place in this area in INTPc.

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
2 a : pursuit of wisdom b : a search for a general understanding of values and reality by chiefly speculative rather than observational means c : an analysis of the grounds of and concepts expressing fundamental beliefs

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That is a sound perspective.

Essentially philosophy should be a pursuit of wisdom, though again we have to be careful about what we understand for wisdom to be.

I'd like to make a point now about how one should engage in philosophy only to gain an understanding and argue only for that purpose. If you are arguing to prove something or to use philosophy to some other end, you're in the wrong enterprise.

I do believe that philosophy does transcend empirical evidence and the province of conventional sciences, yet at the same time it is free to lodge on that territory as well!

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
If you are arguing to prove something or to use philosophy to some other end, you're in the wrong enterprise.
Why?
I do believe that philosophy does transcend empirical evidence and the province of conventional sciences, yet at the same time it is free to lodge on that territory as well!
I'm of the opinion that it's somewhat beneath the hard sciences, as it's not culpable to empiricism.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Why?

I'm of the opinion that it's somewhat beneath the hard sciences, as it's not culpable to empiricism.

Oh absolutely philosophy underlies the hardsciences, you got that right. One way to think of it is that hard sciences are concerned with something like physics which are firmly grounded in empiricism, yet philosophy does metaphysics. You need metaphysics to do physics, after all, you need a hypothesis of some kind to do an experiment.

The answer to your first question is that if you start thinking that you need to convince someone or you need to use philosophy to accomplish something other than the discovery of truth, you will be distracted from your task of pursuit of truth. And hence in the long run you will wind up at a point where you do philosophy not to learn but to convince yourself of a rectitude of your initial prejudices. Your inquiry will degenerate into mere sophistry.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The answer to your first question is that if you start thinking that you need to convince someone or you need to use philosophy to accomplish something other than the discovery of truth, you will be distracted from your task of pursuit of truth. And hence in the long run you will wind up at a point where you do philosophy not to learn but to convince yourself of a rectitude of your initial prejudices. Your inquiry will degenerate into mere sophistry.

*still pretending not to recognize seawolf*

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
Philosophy is about personal growth inorder to reach a greater more indepth perspective on life and events around you. It's about looking for a meaning that is greater than what is just visible or attainable through the naked eye.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Hmm. I think philosophy only rarely has anything to do with "personal growth." Personal growth might be a result of a philosophical discussion, but philosophy itself is not personal growth.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hmm. I think philosophy only rarely has anything to do with "personal growth." Personal growth might be a result of a philosophical discussion, but philosophy itself is not personal growth.

I will agree with that. Philosophy's task should be to understand the world and does not keep in perspective any of your personal ends.

So personal growth can come as an entailment of all that you've gained from your inquiries.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Philosophy is simply the search for truth which is not yet reachable by science, I think. Science has already answered some questions that only philosophy could make a hack at earlier, and those questions are no longer philosophical in nature. There are many other questions, though, that it will take quite a while for science to be able to answer, or never be able to answer at all. And these are the ones that philosophy will always be around for.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Hmm so truth is wisdom and it is wise to set down ground rules for what discussions may be held in the persuit of wisdom?

Sounds distinctly unwise and presumptuous to me.

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Philosophy is that field of inquiry which encompasses all other fields of inquiry.

Beyonder

MBTI Type
intp
First and foremost, philosophy is the search for knowledge, agreed. But it also is about the dispelling of ignorance, something some people tend to forget.

JAVO said:
Philosophy is bunk.
And you're ignorant. Are we done exchanging baseless statements, or can you actually back yours up?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
First and foremost, philosophy is the search for knowledge, agreed. But it also is about the dispelling of ignorance, something some people tend to forget.

And you're ignorant. Are we done exchanging baseless statements, or can you actually back yours up?

I thinkthat one's task as a philosopher is not to force people to learn 'dispell ignorance' but simply put ideas out there, and offer them opportunities to learn. When I write, I write only to get the truth, as dispassionately as possible, never do I write to convince, thats dangerous it can really compromise your intellectual honesty.

Beyonder

MBTI Type
intp
Well, we go at it from different angles, then. I, for one don't just do philosophy. I also use rhetorics. There always has been a certain tension between the two, and although I'll concede that rhetorics can possibly detract from intellectual honesty, combining the two while remaining truthful creates a much more powerful organon imho. It's like using a shield and a sword, instead of just defending. My guess is that it has mostly to do with temperament, though.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well, we go at it from different angles, then. I, for one, don't just do philosophy. I also use rhetorics. There always has been a certain tension between the two, and although I'll concede that rhetorics can possibly detract from intellectual honesty, combining the two while remaining truthful creates a much more powerful organon imho. It's like using a shield and a sword, instead of just defending. My guess is that it has mostly to do with temperament, though.

Temperament in a typological sense, or a vernacular. Rhetoric by definition means the art of using language efficiently, its task should be nothing other than clear exposition.

Beyonder

MBTI Type
intp
In a vernacular sence. And rhetorics deffinately isn't just about that. Well, not the way I learned it anyway, wich is the ancient form... Rhetorics in a more modern form seems to have lost it's wild hairs, something wich I strongly deplore. Most modern rhetoricians would agree with you, though.
BTW, I don't want to leave a wrong impression. I don't employ hardcore rhetorics when actually doing philosophy. Just style, form and layout.
All other topics are freeform, to me though. :duel: